doublegunshop.com - home
Hello all. I have been doing extensive research on a Sedgley rifle I received from a friend. The reason behind wanting to know the value of the rifle is because I want to sell it. Based on my research I have come to an estimate of my own ($1200-$2100). However, that is a broad range and does not let me price the rifle accurately.

During my research I have come across many forums related to the Sedgley. However, I found this one to have the most informed posters. Unfortunately, it seems the resident expert on Sedgley Rifle's has passed away (rip Michael). So if anyone else here could narrow my estimation down to a more definitive number, I would greatly appreciate it. First, a description of the rifle:

-Custom built R.F. Sedgley .30-06 caliber
-24" sporter barrel with barrel band
-Barrel is stamped "R.F. Sedgley Inc."
-Has the circled "S" proof mark
-Serial number 955 (located on the back of the bolt)
- Walnut stock and a schnable forend in good shape for an old gun
- Custom butt pad
-3 panel cut checkering
-3 position overhead safety
-Claw extractor
-Sling swivels & period sling
-Original Lyman micrometer sights with flip up long range peep
-Approximately 70-75% blue left on the overall rifle (could be more but I’m no expert)

I found several similar sold listing. The one that most closely matched mine in terms my build and condition was:

Sedgley Rifle 1

It sold for $1895

The other one I found that was similar was this one:

Sedgley rifle 2

It’s pristine condition fetched it $2995. I’m attaching the pictures of my rifle. Please let me know what you think. In the picture you will see minor amounts of dust because I forgot to wipe the rifle down beforehand.

[img:center] upload gif[/img]

[img:center] image hosting no account[/img]

free image upload

post images

screen shot pc

image sharing sites

how to print screen on pc

adult photo hosting

upload pics

photo hosting
Griffon,

For the most part you have a fairly straight rifle and I am assuming the bore is good. The only visible issues are the extra sling swivel up front and the bent aperture insert (might be the photo). I would want to remove the swivel and then there would be a visible plug. It can be done well but will always be visible. As far as value, don't be offended, it is worth what someone will pay. Not a dime more or a dime less. You can get values from everyone here in the end what will someone pay. Set your minimum and the market will set the current value.
No offense taken at all. I was just looking for a definitive value (if one exists). Whether the value is low or high is irrelevant. Just wanted to make sure I don't list it too high or too low.

In regards to the aperture, it was not screwed in tightly so it leaned in the picture. I just fixed it. Thanks for the reply and the insight.
Griffon: I too have far from great news, but all is not lost. I have found Sedgley prices are somewhat depressed at the moment. The highest prices are ALWAYS obtained for all original specimens in mint condition. This is especially true of the harder to find calibers [.22 Hornet 7x57 Mauser etc.]. I have a mint, special order Sedgley Mannlicher Carbine Model, [with shortened action] in 300 Savage, that has brought remarkable offers. The reason I say that prices are low, is I bought an all original standard grade Sedgley with Griffin and Howe side mount and Unertl 4x Hawk scope, for under $800 in excellent/90% condition. The fact your rifle is a 30/06, a Standard Model and "I" believe it has had the stock refinished, extra swivel and recoil pad added, makes it a $750 to $1000 rifle. Also depending on what the earlier poster said; on the buyer's knowledge of the market, the Sedgley itself and just HOW MUCH HE WANTS IT...the last can always add value, where none is obvious. Hold on to it, the prices will come back. HTH Jerry
Thanks for the detailed answer and narrowing down the price to a smaller range Alvin!
There for several years it seemed to me at least that Sedgleys were stuck at an asking price of $1200, average guns and dogs, while G&H prices increased. I don't know why that price. Then, as the knowledge of Springfield sporters spread (thanks to MP!), the gems started coming out and they drew higher offers. The market seems a bit weak at this time. With that said, when I saw the pics of your rifle, I immediately thought- standard Sedgley, decent condition= $1200. The extra swivel sticks out sorely, but it looks clean overall. I think that is the original butt plate. Its hard to tell from the pics if that is the original stock finish, it looks okay and fits the overall condition of the rifle in the pics, but you are stating a lower metal finish percentage than what I can tell in the pics. It looks like there's a chip out of the schnabel, also. Just my opinion, which may be worth less than AL's above, but, assuming the bore is fine, if mine, I'd run it for $1200 but be prepared to take a bit less. If the wood has been refinished, I'd drop it to $1000 and be prepared to take less. At the end of the day, its a well made Springfield sporter, in a popular caliber, with a Lyman 48. GLWTS.
I do not see the recoil pad. Butt looks original to me. Photographs can lie about guns and their finishes. Maybe it has had some finish added, not at all uncommon. In any case not bad and this will be a good one to keep and use. All the parts are there and no work to do other than the extra swivel. Pretty nice compared to most that you run onto today. The biggest +, no extra holes.
Sorry ,I took "Custom Butt Pad" in the spec list to mean recoil pad. I didn't pick the plate up on the pics. My Bad. Let us know when you list so we can keep up , with what it brings. FWIW, I stand by my value and refinish belief. The pores appear much darker than the surface, a sure sign of a refinish. HTH Jerry
The rear swivel was also replaced but hopefully they used the original hole in the stock. A plus for this rifle is that it has the featherweight barrel.
Dan
Originally Posted By: Alvin Linden
Sorry ,I took "Custom Butt Pad" in the spec list to mean recoil pad. I didn't pick the plate up on the pics. My Bad. Let us know when you list so we can keep up , with what it brings. FWIW, I stand by my value and refinish belief. The pores appear much darker than the surface, a sure sign of a refinish. HTH Jerry

I will do that. I'm probably going to list it in February because I'm extremely busy this month. I will keep you guys in the loop.
Maybe that extra swivel up front is the original from the butt stock. The one in the butt now looks like a 70's Marlin .22 rifle swivel,,the type with a wood screw thru the center.

Looks like a decent rifle too me. I don't know about a refinish on the wood, pics are a tough way to make a determination.
Butt plate looks right (Winchester steel) from what can be seen.

The rear aperture is cranked way over. Maybe just someone playing with it. Maybe the front sight is off some how..

I agree that $1000/$1200 seems to be a common asking price for a common configuration Sedgley rifle,,not that you see one at every show or shop you visit.
Unlike what some think the prices aren't going to rise on rifles like this. The reason is that sadly each year there are fewer and fewer people around interested in something like this. Two major problems are it is put together around overly complex action inferior to original Mauser 1898 type and there is no provision for scope mounting. Last year I bought late 60s Winchester model 70 for less than I would have paid 20 years ago. While Winchester action is inferior to original Mauser action it is better than what I'm seeing here.
While it can be agreed the Springfield owes its' maternity to the 98 Mauser design; everyone here being aware the 1903 infringed on the Mauser patent. I would be careful in denigrating its' design. It wasn't so overly complex, that it didn't allow the U.S. Doughboys with their 1903's to march into Berlin as an occupying force, of the Mauser armed Wehrmacht. Just a thought.
I wrote a response but...I'm just letting it go...
Oh, Hell. A Model 70?? A post-64 Model 70??? What???
Apologies.
Given rifles in the same caliber and of similar configuration there is no practical difference in performance on game for most casual hunters. I suppose if you were a professional in the old days that you might prefer one over the other for ease of maintaining.I like 'em all but prefer the one piece firing pin of the Mauser and the American tradition of the '03.The 3 piece bottom metal of the 70 can be a pain in the butt too.
Hello all. Alvin, I recall that you wanted to be kept updated on when I list the rifle. I'm a bit behind my estimated February deadline but I finally have it posted. A10ACN you were correct on the bluing. I had a friend who knows a lot more then me and he said the bluing was at 85-90%.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=473697041

I listed with a reserve of $1,600. Its a lot higher then the estimates on this thread because as you said sometimes the market sets the price. I'm not in a rush to sell. Therefore, I can always drop the price to what is listed in this thread if I don't sell in a few months.
There's a 1903 sporter listed as a Sedgley for sale but it's marked R.F.Sedgley Inc., Phildelphia on the receiver. The barrel is marked CAL 30'06 but not marked Sedgley.

Michael stated in his first book that all Sedgley's were marked on the barrel and nothing about the receivers.

Thoughts?
The rifles with the Sedgley marks on the receiver are the cheaper version that was marketed by Bannerman in 1940 catalog. They originally had issued stocks that were modified and most had 1917 TGs and some had 1917 barrels and others had 1917 bolts.
Should be a small number on the flat under the cut off which I think is their serial.

Dan
Unfortunately these rifles appeal only to us old codgers. I was at a show last spring and a young man had a table full of nice military sporters. Springfield, Mauser. a few Enfields and Krag mostly. The prices were up to $300. I don't think he sold a one. Young people want "black guns" and auto shotguns. Shooting is a dying sport in much of the USA and the weapons we have collected like the Win 12 and the HiStandard 22 pistols sit on the store shelves for a long time. I was in a shop not long ago that had someone's consignment of HiStandards. There was a Sport King with an $800 price on it. It will sit there for a long time at that price. My FFL was talking about the market trends not long ago. It's just like muscle cars of the 60's and sports cars. It's hard to get $20,000 for an MG when a Subaru WRX will blow it's doors off and in comfort with less trouble. I know "different markets" but I'm saying that a lot of us have stuff that is hardly worth what we paid for it 15 years ago (unless you have a closet full of Colt Pythons)and the Colt is an aberration caused by a TV program.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com