doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Joe Dobrzynski Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/14/16 02:32 PM

Posted By: Joe Dobrzynski Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/14/16 02:33 PM

Posted By: Joe Dobrzynski Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/14/16 02:34 PM

Posted By: Joe Dobrzynski Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/14/16 02:35 PM

Posted By: Remington40x Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/14/16 03:19 PM
In addition to all of his other skills, Mr. Petrov was one heck of a photographer.

What a treasury of information and history.
Posted By: Joe Dobrzynski Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/14/16 03:35 PM
He was a great photographer, but I don't think Michael took these photos. This is one of two original vintage photo albums. No details on whose collection or who took the photos.
Posted By: Terry Buffum Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/14/16 07:01 PM
Are the albums going to a museum, and, if so,which one?

Thanks for sharing these treasures!
Posted By: Joe Dobrzynski Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/15/16 01:02 AM
So ...

I asked for help from a friend and acquaintance of Michael's to reach out to Cody's McCracken Library. This is where Michael wanted his materials to go.

He wrote an email (copying me) with a detailed description of the contents of Michael's research drawers. They responded but "were disappointed that much of the original catalogs and other original items had been sold".

We followed up by asking if they would accept the materials including all the original Niedner letters, shop books, photos, etc and there wasn't any answer for almost two weeks. After a more strongly worded email, they responded and apologized saying they were working on a grant that had an imminent deadline the following day. That was two weeks ago.

After their unresponsiveness, and general lack of interest I spoke to Michael's wife and she told me to look for a new home for the material. Although it is not finalized, it is highly likely that the materials will go the ASSRA archives. Although Michael's research and files primarily dealt with custom 20th century gunmakers (and bolt-action sporting rifles) they understand the importance of the materials and are genuinely interested in obtaining them. They also have the shop records for Eric Johnson, so the ASSRA Archives are not a complete mismatch. I believe that individuals may get easier access to the materials as well.

This note is likely to generate a lot of thoughts and opinions. I hope the readers will respect our decision.

Joe
Posted By: texraid Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/15/16 06:40 PM
Joe, I commend you on your dedication dispersing Michael's vast collection. I have do doubt in the wisdom of seeking other viable options for the disposition of his research. While the McCracken Library is a fantastic research and collection facility, not everyone has the resources or time to take advantage of it's archives.

I too believe other options may open the door for more people to gain access to it.
Art
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/15/16 09:12 PM
As I have in private, I would again like to publicly thank you Joe Dobrzynski, for the phenomenal effort you have made in the dispersal of Michael Petrov's personal collection.
The continuation of his legacy via his research archives is an undertaking I can't imagine any of us would want the responsibility for and I fully support your judgement and decisions as I'm sure Michael would.
SDH
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/18/16 06:04 PM
Wow! Tastes have evolved but the work is stunning on those guns. I wonder how many of them are still extant? Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/20/16 06:27 PM
I must concur with S.D.Hughes and RDH45. I feel you have done more than justice to Michael's collection of rifles and artefacts, his book collection and the preservation of his life's work of records and research. Joe, I cannot think of anyone who could have done as much justice to Michaels collection. You were really a true friend to both Michael and his family and deserve to be congratulated by everyone who admired Michael from both near and far. I corresponded with him over several years and he was always willing to give his knowledge F.O.C to anyone who asked him. A Gentleman like that is a rare person, and I am honoured to have known him, even if it was just through the Internet.

Harry
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/21/16 02:38 PM
Concur in all of the above.
If Cody can't be bothered, then don't bother them.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Vintage Photo Album No.2 ... - 04/21/16 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: RHD45
Wow! Tastes have evolved but the work is stunning on those guns. I wonder how many of them are still extant? Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.

Agreed.

I recently saw a Simson cape gun that attempted to reach for that kind of engraving - it was for sale at Waffen Frankonia in Stuttgart for about 3300 Euros.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com