doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gasgunner A 30 Year Search - 02/08/17 05:40 PM
A few weeks ago a friend sent me a text asking if I was still looking for a Linden stocked rifle. He knew that I had been looking to add a Linden rifle to my collection for some time. He also mentioned that it was a Hornet, which immediately took me back 30 some odd years when I was studying Monty Kennedys checkering book and trying to teach myself how to scratch up stocks with my dad’s old checkering tools. Well, with the help of Kennedy, Fisher, Shelhamer, Hearn, and the others in the book, I was able to teach myself to do a passable job of checkering.

I’ve always had a soft spot for the Springfield 1922 trainer Hornet conversions. Michael Petrov once told me he tried to collect particular rifles from the individual craftsmen when he could. White’s Wundhammer as an example for him. Well for me, one of those rifles is the Linden stocked 1922 in Kennedys book.

I’ve been looking off and on for that rifle for the last 30 odd years. I can’t pass up a custom Springfield without checking, and “1922 Hornet” is a popular search on gunbroker for me. So when my friend told me about a Linden Hornet, my first question was “is it a 1922?” In due time, pictures were sent, the connection was made, and I was able to bring home a rifle I had been looking for for over 30 years. Other than the addition of a side mount for the Zeiss scope, the rifle is as it is pictured in Kennedys book.

To say I am tickled is an understatement. I never really expected to find the rifle, much less for it to be in the condition it is after all these years. I can’t wait to get some rounds down it and maybe get a ground hog or prairie dog or two with it.

Regards,
John
Posted By: Gary D. Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/08/17 05:59 PM
Bravo!
Posted By: Hoot4570 Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/08/17 06:01 PM
"WOW!" doesn't begin to do that justice but that's all I got.

WOW!
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/08/17 06:45 PM
Fantastic, I hope to see a picture of you and your son at the range with it soon.
I am really happy for you.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/08/17 06:47 PM
That is quite a rifle. I hope it shoots as well as it has been made.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/08/17 07:50 PM
That's a dandy for sure!
What is the screw behind the swivel stud? Do they both thread into the barrel? Is there an ebony, or horn oval inlet beneath them?
Posted By: Vall Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/08/17 08:00 PM
Absolutely gorgeous gun! Nothing more rewarding than to fulfill a long time dream of owning a certain rifle! Especially when that rifle finally is found, and is everything you dreamed of!
I've been very lucky to do so occasionally, and the great feeling returns every time I hold them again! I'm sure it will be the same for you and this great gun!
Posted By: Thaine Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/08/17 08:23 PM
That is both a story and gun beyond belief. Great looking rifle and so much greater that you were able to have found something that you have looked for with only a glimmer of hope of finding. Given it's condition and provenance, I suspect the "critter" of your choice is in trouble. Beautiful rifle, I'm sure it will bring you many a happy memory and proves that we should never give up hope.

Thaine
Posted By: Joe Dobrzynski Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/08/17 09:02 PM
Beautiful rifle! I keep going back to look at the pics. If you were going to have just one good example, that's the one. ... nicely done!
Posted By: Herschel Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/08/17 09:36 PM
Congratulations on getting that beautiful rifle.

Herschel
Posted By: gasgunner Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/08/17 10:21 PM
Yes, there is a ebony oval inlet into the stock. The rear screw threads into the barrel band. The swivel threads into a piece of metal inlet into the barrel channel and is independent of the barrel. I believe that the idea was that you could adjust the amount of tension on the forend independent of sling stud orientation. I believe O'Connor mentioned this in one of his books.

John
Posted By: RHD45 Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/09/17 12:10 AM
I always coveted that rifle also. Glad to know it is in the hands of someone who appreciates it.
Posted By: bsteele Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/10/17 03:33 AM
What a great ending to the search - I'm glad you got to wind up with it. I'm not surprised though. For those that haven't seen John in action at a gun show, he can have a conversation while walking an aisle and spot a classic under a table that isn't really for sale and bring it home. Very cool rifle!
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/10/17 04:55 AM
Must be genetic, eh?
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/12/17 03:11 AM
Dan asked me to post some pictures of his Linden, and how he used a slightly different variation to accommodate both sling swivel and screw for a barrel band. In this case, the insert is ivory.

Posted By: gasgunner Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/13/17 02:48 AM
Interesting. An the barrel band has the same style of matting on the top.

John
Posted By: eightbore Re: A 30 Year Search - 02/14/17 03:33 PM
What is the brand name of the swivel bases you picture? I have seen them in original boxes, but can't remember the name.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com