doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SKB Nice trap door - 03/28/18 02:12 PM
I like this one, not really in love with the fore end but over all very nice.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowell-Manley-Custom-GOVT/2515648.uts
Posted By: R. Glenz Re: Nice trap door - 03/28/18 08:14 PM
Yes, that is nice, needs a little shaping on the fore end tip to be better.
Posted By: Dennis Daigger Re: Nice trap door - 03/28/18 08:35 PM
Steve,
You should get a commission for posting this. I'll bet it flew off the rack at the speed of heat. Although trapdoors are not an area of interest to me the workmanship is stunning.

Put the rasp down! The fore end is just fine.
Posted By: Vall Re: Nice trap door - 03/28/18 09:02 PM
I'm also not a Trapdoor fan, but that's an extremely well executed rework. I like it a lot!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Nice trap door - 03/29/18 09:35 AM
High condition trapdoors are a great basis for a nice custom.
Posted By: craigd Re: Nice trap door - 03/29/18 10:27 PM
I think it's a nice rifle too, but since this is only a fun discussion, I don't think the barrel should be an octagon along with giving the forend a bit more of a British feel. I'm thinking there may have been a little bit of an oopsie shaping the cheek piece, it doesn't seem executed like the rest of the stock seems to be. Still, it's nice, and might be a rare situation for a stalking safety on a trapdoor. Thanks for showing it.
Posted By: LRF Re: Nice trap door - 03/30/18 03:00 PM
It proves that lipstick on a pig can work...well at least some.
What's up with the lock plate? That doesn't look that nice in my opinion.
I see its pending, what was the cost may I ask?
Posted By: Vall Re: Nice trap door - 03/30/18 03:15 PM
The octagon barrel is one of the things I like best on a reworked Trapdoor! If I ever considered building one it would have to have an octagon, or half octagon barrel for my tastes.
Posted By: Longknife Re: Nice trap door - 03/30/18 03:28 PM
Neat, lot of work went into that one,,,but what was the asking price?
Posted By: SKB Re: Nice trap door - 03/30/18 03:33 PM
asking price was 2500$.....you could not build it for that.
Posted By: Vall Re: Nice trap door - 03/30/18 05:10 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
asking price was 2500$.....you could not build it for that.

Not unless you could do a lot of the work yourself!
Posted By: craigd Re: Nice trap door - 03/30/18 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Vall
The octagon barrel is one of the things I like best on a reworked Trapdoor! If I ever considered building one it would have to have an octagon, or half octagon barrel for my tastes.

I like octagon barrels too, but for me on American styled rifles. The build level that rifle was taken to, in a British style, makes that barrel look out of proportion to my eye. Particularly on the front sight, there looks to be some fancy work done, but it's sunken into the standard octagon. Only fun conversation Vall, I'd think the engraving alone by that particular engraver was probably a good bit more than the asking price of the whole rifle.
Posted By: SKB Re: Nice trap door - 03/30/18 05:55 PM
The sad fact is Charles never charged near enough for his work. The more you worked with him, the less he charged you. I work with some good guys now but I sure do miss him. He was a pleasure to work with and a hell of a nice guy too.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Nice trap door - 03/30/18 09:13 PM
Is Charles Lee still with us?
Posted By: SKB Re: Nice trap door - 03/30/18 09:16 PM
Charles has moved back to the UK and the last I knew he was no longer working as an engraver. Charles did hid apprenticeship with Purdey's.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com