doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SKB Fraser Take down 98 - 05/11/18 02:52 PM
7x57, wonderful original condition other than the replacement fore end

Posted By: Clint M Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/11/18 04:14 PM
Boy, oh boy! What a treasure, for sure. Thanks for the look at it, Steve!

Any history to go long with it? Can you make out the engraving on the barrel and rear receiver ring, or is it in German?

Does that round slot-head screw in the LH side of the receiver hold the barrel in?
Posted By: Mike Rowe Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/11/18 04:18 PM
The fore end may be original - a lot of the Frasers I've seen have wood that does not match, like this one.

I see it has the Fraser peep sight - the little rack in there is quite fiddly to reproduce!
Posted By: SKB Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/11/18 04:33 PM
Yes the screw holds the barrel in place and everything remains tight,great bore, the engraving is Celtic rope style and very crisp. Fraser peep sight, single stage trigger. I have yet to pull the metal from the wood but maybe a Fraser patent trigger. No history sorry.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/11/18 04:49 PM
Remarkable. Have you shot it?
Posted By: SKB Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/11/18 05:03 PM
I have not. It is owned by a client and may be going to another client's collection.
Posted By: LRF Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/11/18 07:36 PM
Very nice SKB and thanks for sharing.
Is there a chance you could show a picture with the barrel dis-mounted as taken down?
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/11/18 10:37 PM
Neat gun!

Another Fraser to share with the board -

The peep sight really aids the shoot-ability as the front and rear sights are so fine. I hate to admit it, but I find the irons on some of the vintage rifles tough to shoot. The rear peep is real aid. The Fraser above is 7.65 Argentine.
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/11/18 11:53 PM
Do you have a picture of the bottom metal by chance.
Posted By: SKB Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/12/18 12:10 AM
I should have a stock pattern and cad files for the bottom metal before long. Reproducing the rifle would certainly be possible.
I am way too busy think about the building the peep sight.

Posted By: SKB Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/12/18 12:15 AM
Sights are cool too

Posted By: craigd Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/12/18 03:23 AM
Thanks for all the pictures, the closeups are particularly interesting. Very nice rifle.
Posted By: prairie ghost Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/12/18 05:57 AM
Interesting the front of the guard appears to be radiused to follow the contour of the forend as well as the stock profile at the magazine box. All blended without flat surfaces. Must be a delight to carry in the hand.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/28/18 03:24 PM
Steve, I bid seriously on this rifle and since it went elsewhere, I've decided to just build a replica. Your photos of the details are very helpful. I have a suitable action and bottom metal. I'll settle for sights on the barrel and live without the takedown feature. If you have any other pictures, I hope you'll post then.
Posted By: SKB Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/28/18 03:36 PM
Bill,
I missed you at the Colorado Collectors show this year. It was a good time and a very decent show, lots of buying and selling this year.

I still have the rifle in my possession. What would you like pictures of?

Steve
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/28/18 04:47 PM
Steve,I'm glad to hear the show was good. We didn't do anything last year but had the worst possible table location.As for photos I'd like to see how the side panels fare into to stock around the magazine and floorplate. The other detail that doesn't come through very well is the checkering pattern on the forearm. Thanks very much.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 05/29/18 01:59 AM
Looking forward to more pics~~~
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 06/28/18 05:23 PM
If you're curious to know where the shape of the stock panels come from, just look at Fraser's single shot. All those lines are there in just slightly different form. It's a transfer of their signature details to another product.
Posted By: SKB Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 06/29/18 12:24 PM

Sorry to say the rifle got away before I was able to take any more pictures. This photo shows the checkering.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 06/29/18 03:43 PM
SKB, Thanks for another shot. I have a barreled action in the wood now and hope to have a buttplate and grip cap on today. I've been pondering the best way to make that nice Fraser front sight. I think those curved, sloping sides will take a special cutter. Suggestions welcome.
Posted By: SKB Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 06/29/18 04:09 PM
CNC makes it easy....

I think I have an identical rear sight in the parts drawer.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 06/29/18 09:08 PM
A file is quicker than programing the cnc.
Mike
Posted By: Poorhouse Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 06/29/18 09:37 PM
Couple of more Fraser checkering shots (forend needs oil). Forget how to make the pictures show???
[img:left]http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/Zischang/media/Fraser/P6290940_opt_zpsggerlchl.jpg.html[/img] [img:left]http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/Zischang/media/Fraser/P6290941_opt_zps5mst6k1v.jpg.html[/img]
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 06/30/18 05:01 AM

Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 06/30/18 05:48 PM
Thanks to all for additional pictures. I'll try to get some photos of my "interpretation" of a Fraser Mauser if someone here will volunteer to post them. I should have the stock shaping done by tomorrow.
Posted By: SKB Re: Fraser Take down 98 - 06/30/18 11:37 PM
I sent you an email Bill. Send me the pictures and I can post them for you.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com