doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PhysDoc I spy - 10/27/18 11:58 PM
Truthfully, I casually looked at this auction and didn't see much,
until a member of the forum told me he had won the auction forum and
explained what I missed. I am grateful for the education. What is special about this rifle?

Rock Island 1903
Posted By: Thaine Re: I spy - 10/28/18 04:13 AM
OK, I'll be the test dummy. I see a 1910 Rock Island with a checkered bolt, King reflector front sight, what looks to be a cut down slide on a Lyman 48 and a stock that appears to be IMHO rather dubious of character. I don't see anything that screams "buy me, I'm a treasure" So, while I'm sure you will wait for other fish to bite Let's hear what we missed. I am always eager to learn.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: I spy - 10/28/18 04:23 AM
Thanks, you did great, far far better than me, but now take a very careful look at picture 7 of 13.
Posted By: Thaine Re: I spy - 10/28/18 07:16 AM
Ok, I moved from my laptop to the desktop and big monitor. Only thing I see is the circle (pin?) on the safety lug. I guess I can't see the forest for the trees. That means nothing to me and my books have been moved to the new house so I can't look it up if it is indeed the anomaly. For what it is worth, I passed on this one when I first looked at it also. I only noticed the features I mentioned after you posted the thread and it took me three passes to notice the checkered bolt.
Posted By: Kutter Re: I spy - 10/28/18 01:57 PM
I think you had it,,a 22cal bolt
Posted By: james-l Re: I spy - 10/28/18 05:10 PM
So, what do you think about a 1922 bolt in a low number 1903 rifle? It obviously has standard 1903 barrel (note the spline cuts) and is advertised as a 30/06. If you put a 1903 bolt in the gun you still have 300-400 dollar gun and 1922 bolt and hope bubba hasn't ruined either one. Anyone want a 1922 bolt, I have a couple for sale for $300.
Posted By: Herschel Re: I spy - 10/28/18 05:17 PM
I don't believe at is a bolt from a 1922. The .22 cal bolt is in two pieces.
Posted By: james-l Re: I spy - 10/29/18 01:15 AM
Herschel you are right, I have a 1922 m1 and 1922 m2 neither has a pin in the locking lug; as a matter of fact they have a slot that engages with a lug on the front portion of the bolt when it is opened. If you enlarge the photo of the bolt it is obvious that it is one piece.
Posted By: DanLH Re: I spy - 10/29/18 03:18 AM
I sure missed the bolt detail when I first looked at this rifle. My first Barney Worthen rifle (non-takedown) had a WW2 bolt in it. This rifle must have my bolt in it! Other than the bolt and tang modification I don't see anything that says Barney Worthen to me. I think he usually marked his name on the barrels. Nice catch by the buyer.
Dan
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: I spy - 10/29/18 10:45 AM
Here is a good link to a discussion of Barney Worthen and his bolt modifications. And Dan is correct, this and the checkering on the bolt
knob suggest Worthen's hand in this rifle. I hope it gets a better stock.

Barney Worthen rifles
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com