doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: David Zincavage Alleged King Springfield - 04/21/19 02:33 PM
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/810089678
Posted By: SKB Re: Alleged King Springfield - 04/21/19 03:49 PM
From looking at other Ross King rifles I would say the rifle in the link is by another maker. Far, far lower quality than the rifles that Petrov posted pictures of that he attributed to King.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=333550
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: Alleged King Springfield - 04/21/19 03:54 PM
Is the metal reinforced tang a known feature of any maker?
Posted By: bsteele Re: Alleged King Springfield - 04/21/19 05:38 PM
I saw a rifle at Tulsa marked King on the tag. When I asked why they thought it was King he said it had a King front sight...
Posted By: Thaine Re: Alleged King Springfield - 04/21/19 11:07 PM
I know about as much about the rifle in question as the rest of you. However, I have dealt with the seller on a couple of occasions and found him to be outgoing and straight forward. If I was interested, I would simply PM him and I'm sure he would be glad to explain his logic and reasoning as to why it is a "King". I picked up one of my purchases at his house, gave me an excuse for a weekend in Taos, and he gave me the grand tour of a chunk of his collection. Super nice fella to deal with. That said, I do agree with Steve. Looks like way too crude for a period when King should have been at his peak. Question for those smarter than me, is that a Ross barrel band?

Thaine
Posted By: Greg G Re: Alleged King Springfield - 04/22/19 11:40 AM
Originally Posted By: 375whelenIMP
Is the metal reinforced tang a known feature of any maker?

From the rough area on the left side and rear of that metal plate, I'd guess it is to repair/hide a missing chip of wood. A common place for chips from the inletting being too tight at the rear of the tang.
Posted By: Vall Re: Alleged King Springfield - 04/22/19 03:11 PM
That's some of the least attractive checkering I've ever seen! It's even less professional than the rest of the build on that gun.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Alleged King Springfield - 04/23/19 10:33 AM
Here is another stock with a similarly repaired tang.

1903 stock

For completeness, I'd like to mention that Siamese Mausers had reinforced tangs.
Posted By: Hoot4570 Re: Alleged King Springfield - 04/23/19 12:16 PM
Originally Posted By: PhysDoc
For completeness, I'd like to mention that Siamese Mausers had reinforced tangs.

Probably influence from the Japanese Arisakas. The Siamese Mausers were built in Japan.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com