doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gasgunner Winchester 52 - 06/07/19 03:21 PM
Still playing with Imgur trying to figure out this image posting. I posted this on another forum and the edited pictures had the number and question mark in them but it still posted them fine. I copied and posted the same thing into here and it does not work. I did notice that this forum resizes the pictures where as the other one does not. Anyway, couple of pics of a 52 worked over by one of my favorite stock makers.

One of the most talented of the forgotten gunsmiths is Harvey Rodgers. He developed his own unique style that once you see a few of his guns is easy to identify. This particular rifle is still in the original stock, but even so you can still see the clean sharp lines that are typical of his work. His best work was the equal to anything being done at the time, yet he is virtually unknown other than what Michael Petrov had written.

I have a few more pictures of his work if anyone is interested.

Regards,
John
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Winchester 52 - 06/07/19 03:31 PM
John, did he sign his work and did you do that checkering too?

I agree with what you said about the "clean lines" I don't know how to define that, but I know it when I see it, and it is there for certain.
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Winchester 52 - 06/07/19 04:09 PM
I have not found any of his work that is signed. As Michael mentioned most of it is marked Hart Arms if at all. He stocked for Hoffman, but his Hoffman stocks looks just like Dubiel Hoffman stocks to me. I did not do any work on this rifle, it is as I found it.

John
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Winchester 52 - 06/07/19 05:16 PM
I, for one, would like to see more photos of Rodger's work or of any other good maker that comes to mind. Pictures of fine work can convey a lot of useful information.
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Winchester 52 - 06/07/19 07:56 PM
Most of these have been posted before. I moved them over to Imgur so we will see how that works.

And the Rodgers collection.

Looks like they got shrunk when they moved over.

Enjoy,
John
Posted By: Huvius Re: Winchester 52 - 06/21/19 02:17 PM
That peep with adjustable eye relief is friggin genius!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Winchester 52 - 06/22/19 10:48 AM
Gasgunner, what barrel is on the 52? Has it been profiled or shortened? If it has been profiled, how was the barrel channel modified?
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Winchester 52 - 06/23/19 04:01 AM
The barrel is still the original length and profile. The gun is set up as a target rifle.

John
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com