doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gasgunner SA 1922 - 07/03/19 11:41 AM
I recently picked this rifle up at auction. Wondering if anyone else sees what I think I see in it.

John
Posted By: paul buchanan Re: SA 1922 - 07/03/19 12:03 PM
restocked, no clip, what am I missing
Posted By: LRF Re: SA 1922 - 07/03/19 12:11 PM
With the angle of the scope to the barrel it must be a 1000 yard target gun.
Posted By: gasgunner Re: SA 1922 - 07/03/19 01:13 PM
The rifles has not been restocked, I do not believe the stock in the picture is from this rifle. Magazines are available.

I expect the auction house just threw the scope on it for the sale. As can be seen the rear mount is not even fully engaged to the base. When I got it the mounts were loose and the scope basically fell off.

The bottom picture contains a big clue.

John
Posted By: eddiel4 Re: SA 1922 - 07/03/19 02:00 PM
John, that looks like one of Tom Shelhamer's forend patterns unfortunately I can't see the grip panels well enough but they do appear to be shaped like one of his standard layouts, Ed
Posted By: gasgunner Re: SA 1922 - 07/03/19 04:27 PM
I think Ed nailed it. Here is another Shelhamer reworked rifle, this one a NRA sporter.

The family resemblance is clear. The 1922 still has the original buttplate where this one has a Neidner style steel buttplate.

John
Posted By: skeettx Re: SA 1922 - 07/03/19 06:07 PM
SA Model 1922 is a 22 Long Rifle bolt gun

Is this an O3 made in 1922, in caliber 30-06?

Where is the bolt knob?

yes, looks like Shelhamer

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...amp;type=thread

Mike
Posted By: gasgunner Re: SA 1922 - 07/03/19 09:25 PM
Mike,
The top rifle is a model 1922 MI caliber .22 training rifle. NRA sales variant. The original stock has been reworked into a more slim profile as a sporting rifle.

The second rifle is a 1903 NRA sporter variant. I posted this rifle as a reference. It is also in the original stock. The original stock on it would have been the same as the stock on a 1922 sales model with the exception of the cross bolts and cut out for the magazine cut-off. We are quite certain this rifle was restyled by Shelhamer.

The bolt handle is in the typical location, visible in the shot from below.

The second rifle is from my dads collection and is pictured in the chapter on depression era sporters in Petrov's second book. Other than that little scratch in the grip from dads gun rack, this is the cleanest, most well preserved pre-war custom rifle I have come across. While not a fancy gun, the blue and hand rubbed oil stock finish look like they just came off his bench.

Regards,
John
Posted By: Tom Davis Re: SA 1922 - 07/04/19 10:11 AM
Shelhamer. Congrats! Does it have the brass escutcheon?
Posted By: xausa Re: SA 1922 - 07/04/19 10:50 AM
How did the converter combine the M1922 firing pin with a headless cocking piece? The original M1922 pin has a knurled knob which is screwed on to the rimfire firing pin and controls the firing pin protrusion, if I remember correctly.

Nice Fecker scope!
Posted By: Herschel Re: SA 1922 - 07/04/19 01:07 PM
The 1922 Series Gallery Practice rifles were all .22 LR cal.
The Model of 1922 and Model of 1922M1 both came with headless cocking pieces. The M2 bolt had the knurled nut on it. It's purpose was not to control firing pin protrusion. It was intended to be finger tight. The most commonly seen Springfield .22 will have the M2 bolt installed. The near 20,000 or so that remained in govt. inventory were nearly all returned to SA or one of the arsenals to have the M2 bolts installed. My apology for chasing rabbits on this thread but the bolt configuration topic slipped in.

John, After wasting 30 minutes trying to send you a PM I am adding to my post that I have some 1922M1 magazines. email me if you want one.
Posted By: gasgunner Re: SA 1922 - 07/05/19 12:51 PM
Hershel is the resident 1922 expert and covered that quite well. I really like the 1922 and 1922 M1 rifles much better than the M2. By time the M2 came along there was a pretty significant drop in the quality of the rifles. I believe the knurled head on the M2 firing pin was just to make it more like the 03. I think it would look much better if they'd a shaped it like the 03.

Back to the original topic. I cleaned up the stock a bit with some oil and light application of 0000 steel wool in the darker areas near the butt and it cleaned up quite nicely. The forward sling swivel screws into a lug attached to the barrel that has been inlet into the stock. Common practice at the time was to anchor the barrel somehow to the forend. Shelhamer generally used a little brass ashutzen (or however it is spelled) to accomplish this, but must have figured the swivel would suffice on this rifle.

John
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com