doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SKB Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 07/20/19 03:53 PM
This one on a standard length slant box action, chambered in .303 British and with the Fraser patent trigger. It needs a little TLC but will remain largely original when finished. The stock needs to be rubbed out, a new Silvers pad fit and it may get some slight damage to the rear sight and it's base repaired. A really interesting rifle and the bore remains very good.

Posted By: LRF Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 07/20/19 10:30 PM
Wow that is nice and you must be pleased. If you can, can you share a picture of the left side of the receiver.
In addition when you get the metal out of the wood I would love to see the bare action metal and slant box details.
Congrats!!
Posted By: eightbore Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 07/21/19 01:52 AM
What a rifle.
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 07/21/19 06:39 PM
Steve - what is the caliber?
Posted By: SKB Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 07/21/19 06:44 PM
.303 British
Posted By: Joe Dobrzynski Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 07/22/19 11:57 AM
Very nice rifle Steve! With your talent, I hope you'll post photos after applying your time and talent to that stock. The blueing looks like it's very good too.

Nice, nice rifle!
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 07/22/19 02:26 PM
You don't often see that Alexander Henry foend treatment on a bolt gun. I like it.

John
Posted By: SKB Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/02/20 04:50 PM
I have been working on taking photos with my new camera and thought I would update this thread. Damage to rear sight and its base cleaned up, Fore end hanger re-attached, rust blue blended with existing finish. New recoil pad, a clean and oil which was desperately needed, a few small stock repairs and the original linseed oil finish was found under the oxidized black oil on top. Not a restoration, just a well deserved deep cleaning.

Posted By: james-l Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/02/20 05:37 PM
Wonder what the 2 on the barrel means, maybe there
was another barrel set?
Posted By: SKB Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/02/20 06:37 PM
Possible but my thought was a matched pair of rifles.
Posted By: Poorhouse Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/02/20 07:34 PM
37XX? What are the last 2 digits, please (old eyes here)? An appropriate number does not appear in Kirton's Fraser book, but would be one of the later Fraser rifles. I have similar TD Mauser (7mm) with 3417 number. It is possible that Dickson may have continued the numbering sequence based on couple of their bolt action rifles I have seen?
Posted By: SKB Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/02/20 07:44 PM
#3714. I can not comment on the Dickson serial numbers.
Posted By: Poorhouse Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/02/20 07:48 PM
Thank you.
Posted By: SKB Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/02/20 08:17 PM
This 7x57 is #3468

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=513562#Post513562
Posted By: keith Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/03/20 04:57 AM
I kind of like the "Before" pictures better.

The "After" picture make me think of an old pencil with a brand new eraser for some reason.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/03/20 05:20 PM
Originally Posted By: keith

The "After" picture make me think of an old pencil with a brand new eraser for some reason.

Pretty much confirms what I just said about you starting the mudslinging in the general forum thread, eh Keith? You just can't help yourself.
Posted By: Mike Hunter Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/03/20 06:28 PM
Would be interested on how the TD mechanism works
Posted By: SKB Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/03/20 09:46 PM
Mike,
The two plates meet up with the one on the fore end having the locating pin and the one on the action having a corresponding hole. Action threads have a set screw keeping them tight and a detent for the set screw to seat in. Fore end uses the Deely latch method of attachment.
Steve

Posted By: Colonial Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 03:55 AM
Guess I will "sling some mud" too as that bright red looks garish to me.

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: keith

Pretty much confirms what I just said about you starting the mudslinging in the general forum thread, eh Keith? You just can't help yourself.
Posted By: keith Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 05:50 AM
Thanks DmColonial, but remember the special rules of Mustela Frenata & Co.... Thou shalt Not Speak The Truth!

Originally Posted By: canvasback

I wonder where this sentiment was all those times that Mustela Frenata's new buddy Stevie was doing his gutless internet doxxing, dumping on pro-2nd Amendment topics, and hurling lies and insults.

I guess we'll never know, because that would involve telling the truth, and shedding hypocrisy. Mustela the two-faced Canadian weasel must be taking correspondence classes from his other pal over in Nova Scotia!

I still like the "Before" pics better. And it doesn't appear that the old camera was the problem, rather it was the photographer. If you're going to engage in continual free advertising and self-promotion, you ought to at least learn to do it well!
Posted By: SKB Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 10:50 AM
Originally Posted By: DmColonial

On this side of the border that color is known as orange. I generally return new pads to clients clean and let the client use it giving it an aged look. For an extra fee I can drag it through the dirt though. I had hoped to install a perished vented pad with a white line spacer but alas, my suppliers were all back ordered. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 02:41 PM
That is why there are different colored trucks and more than one happy woman in the world.
Mike
Posted By: Colonial Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB

On this side of the border that color is known as orange. I generally return new pads to clients clean and let the client use it giving it an aged look. For an extra fee I can drag it through the dirt though. I had hoped to install a perished vented pad with a white line spacer but alas, my suppliers were all back ordered. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Wondered why you left the white spacer out.....
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 06:06 PM
Steve, Noli illegitmi carborundum. A small dog following a brass band is still just one small SOB.
Posted By: Colonial Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 07:12 PM
OMG, a "therapy poster"!
someone's ego get bruised?
Posted By: SKB Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 07:20 PM
OMG, a "therapy poster"!
someone's ego get bruised?

This was a simple clean up, hardly the more advanced type of work I do. Ego bruised? No. I posted this rifle because it is exceptionally rare, not to showcase a stock cleaning and recoil pad installation. This is some of the most basic work I do. The point of this post may have been lost upon you.
Posted By: Antonio Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 08:07 PM
Steve:

I for one thank you for posting this fine rifle and the many others you have posted in the past. I am amazed and mystified by those that chose to pounce on minor things. Please don't be driven off this forum. I hate to see you, Steve and Bill - extremely talented gunsmiths constantly fending off attacks. I am not interested in joining in the bickering, but know that many of us appreciate your contributions to this forum.

Wallace
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 08:11 PM
Does Dm stand for dim?
Posted By: SKB Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Antonio
Steve:

I for one thank you for posting this fine rifle and the many others you have posted in the past. I am amazed and mystified by those that chose to pounce on minor things. Please don't be driven off this forum. I hate to see you, Steve and Bill - extremely talented gunsmiths constantly fending off attacks. I am not interested in joining in the bickering, but know that many of us appreciate your contributions to this forum.

Wallace

Thank you Wallace. I am not going anywhere and will continue to post in both this forum and the new one just for pros. If anyone has any input to add on the Rigby posted in the professional forum you can send it to me via pm and I can add it to the thread. I enjoy pleasant discourse about fine old sporting rifles.

Steve
Posted By: keith Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 09:51 PM

Wondered why you left the white spacer out.....

Good point! Totally lost on someone like rocky mtn bill.

Talk about dim... there's a dim bulb gun owner that blindly votes for the very liberal left Democrats that work relentlessly to infringe upon the 2nd Amendment Rights of law abiding citizens.

But seriously, Billy's mean-spirited name calling is driving sensitive folks to Uplnd Journal.
Posted By: Colonial Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 10:17 PM
Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Does Dm stand for dim?

If you wish, why not.
BUT
I am going to express my opinion, whether you agree or not,
AND
Whether you and SKB get your tatas in a wringer or not.
Posted By: SKB Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 10:24 PM
Please do express your opinions, they are appreciated. If you have examples of fine rifles or your work to share that is also welcome. I would especially like to see examples of comprised stock finish on old guns that others have rejuvenated. I enjoy learning and find that to be a life long experience.

Once again, nothing in a wringer here.

Anything to share?

Steve
Posted By: Colonial Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 10:37 PM
Posted my scratch builds some time ago.
Too busy to do any more.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/04/20 11:19 PM
DmColonial, I apologize if I misjudged your intent here. I'm a bit quick to take offence, having been assaulted endlessly by he who shall remain unnamed.
Posted By: keith Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/05/20 07:27 AM
DmColonial, I apologize if I misjudged your intent here. I'm a bit quick to take offence, having been assaulted endlessly by he who shall remain unnamed.

No wonder Johnny can't read!

Billy, don't you think that a retired English Teacher should know how to spell "offense"??? Or were you just using the Canadian spelling to make DmColonial feel at home?

Did you watch the State of the Union Address last night Billy? The childish behavior of Nancy Pelosi and your Democrats was priceless! What did you think of your Democrats when our pro-gun President Donald Trump said that he would always protect our 2nd Amendment Rights?

None of them applauded, and they all looked disgusted at the very thought of protecting the 2nd Amendment. So tell us Billy

Are you pro-2nd Amendment

or are you a Democrat?

You obviously cannot be both.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/06/20 02:01 AM
You can beat a dead horse, but you can't make him drink.
Posted By: craigd Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/06/20 02:24 AM

Do you have any thought on why it's so easy for you to drink the koolaide?
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/06/20 03:29 AM
As one who supports the current regime, you might want to check your consumption. Trump is the ultimate Kool Aid dispenser. Now that he's been perfectly exonerated, he can pump out gallons and gallons to all his disciples. Skol. Cheers. Sante.
Posted By: keith Re: Another Fraser 98 take down..... - 02/06/20 05:13 AM

Billy, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. But you shoud check the mirror... You can't really be a brain dead horse, because your ears are too long.

Our pro-2nd Amendment President Donald Trump is doing exactly what we elected him to do. There is no part of our lives that isn't better than it was with anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats running the country.

Trump certainly deserves a second term. And if his presence in the White House raises your blood pressure, that alone is worth taking the advice of the Russians who are twisting our arms to re-elect him. Did you notice how crafty those Russian agents were when they made Nancy Pelosi look like a complete idiot?

And what was it... 3 or 4 days for Anti-gun Democrats to finally count votes in the Iowa caucuses? We almost forgot they had something going on. Yeah boy... that's the sort of efficiency we need to run the country back into malaise and failure!

Na zdrovie' Billy
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com