doublegunshop.com - home
I have a Springfield Model 1922 that has been heavily customized - converted to centerfire, rebarreled and chambered for a .22 Hornet, with a banded hamp front sight with a hood and a single standing blade rear signt. There is a custom stock in the classic tradition with a steel grip cap, checkered steel butt plate with widow's peak and a black (not sure of material) forend tip. It's a 5-shot repeater with a slanted magazine fitted inside a hinged magazine release. Really a nice rifle, done very much in the classic style and probably a copy of a Griffin & Howe stock pattern. If I had to guess, based up the very little use the rifle exhibits, I'd say likely to have been done post WWII and maybe some time after the war ended.

The only marks for a maker I can locate on either the wood or the metal are the initials "GLS" which are stamped in the inletting between the recoil lug and the magazine well.

Is anyone familiar with a stock or gun maker who uses these initials as his marking?

Thanks.
GLS, in that order?
Could the initials be Gil Sengel's?
Yes, GLS in that order.
We'd love to see some picture if possible.

John
Gary L Stiles-gunmaker
Dennis:

Thanks very much. I really appreciate your sorting this out.

John:

I'll try to get some photos this weekend.

Rem
I have seen some of Gary's rifles locally but always in fiberglass stocks, not the wood he was known for. He passed away a few years ago but his website still has some pictures.

http://garystiles.tripod.com/id9.html
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com