doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SKB Big girl gets a new dress - 08/02/19 01:39 PM
I hand polished this one out to remove the existing pitting, and added the sling swivels, my engraver re-cut the original engraving and added the barrel script. If I were to guess I would think either Clayton Nelson or Len Bull likely turned the integral barrel. Plenty of fire power in this old single. Case color hardening done by Classic Guns in Crete, Il.

Posted By: Vall Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 08/02/19 02:27 PM
Now that's my idea of a fine single shot rifle! Gorgeous, and a nice restoration!
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 08/02/19 03:53 PM
Beautiful job. What’s it chambered for?
Posted By: SKB Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 08/02/19 03:58 PM
.577 3" Nitro Express
Posted By: LRF Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 08/02/19 04:47 PM
Very nice indeed!
Posted By: LRF Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 08/02/19 05:02 PM
Very nice indeed!
Posted By: HalfaDouble Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 08/02/19 08:38 PM
Well done! Mine is in 450/400 3 1/4 MNE and sometime in its past a previous owner decided to take advantage of the large action sides and faced them off and added his own engraving - a Cape Buffalo portrait on one side and a charging lion on the other. Hopefully he didn't use it a lot for that kind of game as one day when I was shooting it at the range (400 grain Barnes and 80 grains of 4350) it just ceased to function. Turns out the pins of the stirrup just sheared off. In spite of every other part of the action being made of quarter inch steel, the stirrup would have been at home in a shotgun. As a matter of fact the fix was replacing it with a S&W stirrup!
Posted By: SKB Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 01/06/20 09:08 PM
I'm not sure if any of you noticed or not but there was an error in the caliber marking which has now been corrected. New rear sight was fit up as well.

Posted By: skeettx Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 01/07/20 01:13 AM
Sweet, should stop a charging Prairie Dog
Yeeee Hawww
Posted By: SamW Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 01/07/20 02:27 AM
Also very nice lettering!
Posted By: craigd Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 01/07/20 11:16 AM
Nice fix on the lettering. Another good to revisit tidbit, great case colors shouldn't be taken for granted.
Posted By: mc Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 01/15/20 05:44 PM
Leonard really liked that action it was a favorite even more than the 97 I really like that
Posted By: SKB Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 01/15/20 06:42 PM
Originally Posted By: mc
Leonard really liked that action it was a favorite even more than the 97 I really like that

Mark,
I sure do miss Len. I would not be surprised if this gun has a Trinidad connection, it was purchased from Ron Peterson in Albuquerque. The gun looks to have been re-barreled sometime back with integral sight bases. I would think Leonard or Clayton would be likely candidates.
Steve
Posted By: HalfaDouble Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 01/15/20 10:17 PM
Mine was from Ron also - a long time ago. I had my choice of the one I got or another in 600 Nitro. Barring mastodon resurrection I figured I could actually use the 450-400 for hunting, not so much the 600. In hindsight, the 600 would have been a much better investment had I just wanted to stare at it all these years;-)
Posted By: Boltman Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 01/17/20 04:44 PM
Whoa. That is a nice classic piece.
Posted By: mark Re: Big girl gets a new dress - 01/25/20 01:43 PM
Well done!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com