doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Shotgunjones Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 09/07/19 05:43 PM
So, I'm 95% shotgun shooter. 5% 'Other'.

I've dabbled in rifles, and most recently obtained far too many Garand rifles which I do enjoy. This led me to a 500 yard range with steel (ding!) targets. I'm rather hooked.

While under the influence of pain killers for broken ribs last January, I picked up the phone and ordered a Shiloh. It happens. Opioid epidemic, etc. Credit cards are the work of the devil.

So... what's eventually coming given the near 2 years it takes them to build one, is a plain Jane 45-70.

I've obtained brass, and bullets, and a supply of 5744. I reserve the right to use black in the future.

I've read the Shiloh forum, and Venturino's book.

I don't intend to hunt, and 600 yards is my maximum available range, but the steel range is only 500 and most of my shooting will be there. It's a great place, and a few of my fellow shotgunner types frequent it.

Question is... once I get my 'letter' and have to decide on a final configuration etc, are the barrel sights adequate for 500 yard dingers?

The rifle comes with a combo full buckhorn/elevator barrel sight and a blade front. Do i need a tang sight?
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 09/07/19 05:52 PM
SJ, You may get good results with 5744, but you might want to try 4198 and 3031 too. A hefty load of H4831 doesn't burn well, but it makes nice groups.
Posted By: craigd Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 09/07/19 06:37 PM
I think barrel, buckhorn(?)style, sights might not quite be what someone hopes for at that distance. Decent sights can get a bit pricey, but a set of MVA sights, with maybe a mid range soule sight on the tang, might work out. Ask the Shiloh folks, I doubt they'd do the hard sell just to run up the price.

The longer distance between the barrel position and the tang definitely helps, but being able to change front inserts and the rear aperture size might matter as different people see the sights and targets differently. If it's a plain model, there could be an off the shelf rifle in the ball park for a good price. Buying cast bullets might be a mixed bag when it come to consistency. Have fun.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 09/07/19 07:50 PM
Yes you will need a tang sight
Drool here

https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/

Mike

P.S. a Lyman 17A front would also be helpful
https://www.lymanproducts.com/series-17a-target-front-sights
Posted By: Vall Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 09/08/19 12:35 AM
I shoot long range for fun, and I'd get a long range tang sight, even if my limit was 500 yds. If you enjoy it like most people do, you might end up finding places to shoot further, and then have to buy a long range sight. Plus a long range sight works just fine for closer shots too. A non windage works OK if you don't mind holding over for wind adjustment. A Soule type works better if you get serious.
I'd also get a globe front sight with changeable aperture inserts so you can change them according to distance and target size.
MVA, Baldwin, Kelly, and Lee Shaver all make great sights. I see more MVA and Baldwin at shoots than all the others combined.
Posted By: Chuckster Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 09/08/19 02:17 AM
Think you will enjoy it. Those big bullets make a satisfying clang.
A bubble level in the front sight is worthwhile to prevent canting with the tall sights.
Chuck
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 12/26/20 08:07 PM
I just ordered up a MVA #108.

No clue when it or my rifle might show up.

This has certainly made time slow down for me.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 01/12/21 08:23 PM
MVA sight arrived in less than 2 weeks!

I had read, on the Shiloh forum, that MVA could be less than prompt.

They had what I wanted in stock apparently. It's a very nice sight.

Silence from Shiloh. This month is two years.

I have seen no 'in stock' rifles on their site for a few months now. Maybe that means they are concentrating on filling long standing orders. I hope so anyway.

Meanwhile, they recently published a modest price increase and posted the 1863 for sale again as well as the 1874 military carbine.

last person to post his quoted wait time said 18 months. Curious calendar in Montana.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 01/12/21 08:34 PM
Call Shiloh. Email, etc, is just not worth it. Call'em. It really depends on your configuration (esp. barrel).
Posted By: craigd Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 01/12/21 09:25 PM
I would imagine you have been calling sgj. Hopefully, it’s different, but recently they have been very short on the phone, even when they already have one’s money. Hopefully, you do not have a deposit that you’re starting to think about asking for it back. Best of luck with it.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 01/12/21 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by craigd
I would imagine you have been calling sgj. Hopefully, it’s different, but recently they have been very short on the phone, even when they already have one’s money. Hopefully, you do not have a deposit that you’re starting to think about asking for it back. Best of luck with it.

That is correct. I didn't want to be overly critical, but when I did call 3 months ago the person who answered (who will remain nameless) was obviously in a bad mood.

I'm more dismayed than angry, and I do have more than the minimum deposit on account.

Some actual information, even a wild ass guess, on when I might see product does not seem unreasonable to request.

Apparently, I'm wrong.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 01/13/21 12:05 AM
If I wanted another Shiloh, I would not buy it direct from Shiloh.

What configuration are you wanting?
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 01/13/21 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by BrentD
If I wanted another Shiloh, I would not buy it direct from Shiloh.

What configuration are you wanting?

PM en route
Posted By: Craigster Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 01/13/21 04:25 AM
Life's too short to deal with ass holes.
Posted By: Longknife Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 04/01/21 10:40 PM
Its a little bit late for you but there is a dealer that stocks Shiloh Sharps and he can sell you a place in line for $200. That takes the waiting time from years to months!!! It sure would be worth it if any one is in the market and seriously thinking about ordering one new.,,,,LK
Shiloh
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 04/02/21 02:02 AM
I'm aware of Goodman.

He's been discussed in another thread.

I was finally given an estimate on delivery time after inquiring 3 times.

My rifle is in 'production'.

Today was the estimated delivery date.

Shockingly, it's not here yet. It's a year past the initial estimated delivery time given at the time of order.

If I had to do this over again quite honestly I wouldn't.

All the fun has gone out of this.
Posted By: Longknife Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 04/03/21 03:11 PM
Thats really too bad. I thought of ordering one several times. I often went to the website and spec'd out a rifle and put it in my cart. A week or so later I would go back in and change the specs a bit, all the time scanning the web for one for sale. One day I realized if I had ordered it at first I would have it by now...maybe. Any way I finally put a bid on an auction site and 7 days later it showed up at my door. I was (am) happy!!!!!~

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Vall Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 04/04/21 12:10 AM
I either build up my guns from old actions, or buy old collector single shots. I just don't have the patience to wait even one year, let alone two.
Posted By: Longknife Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 04/05/21 06:21 PM
Vall, can you post some pics of the Sharps 1874's that you built ? Those actions have to be hard to come by, Where did you find yours?,,,,LK
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 05/20/21 04:23 PM
Rifle arrived.

2 years, 4 months.

Fit and finish is good. They don't see the need to vertically index the tang screws or the butt plate screws.

It's as ordered. Quite a nice rifle. It's a base model. Other features would take longer to complete.

A Plano #1531 case was charged at $70 (It's not a Doskocil as described). I paid a price increase that was announced after my rifle should have been finished and delivered.

UPS 2nd day air shipping was charged at over $200. You don't get a choice, that's how they ship. Federal tax is charged at 8.25%, which is correct.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out how the deal goes down.

Overall, I'm pleased with the product. Would I do it again?

Maybe...
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 05/21/21 01:27 PM
Hey, for what it is worth, I hope that the rifle brings you a lot of pleasure on the range.
Posted By: Longknife Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 05/22/21 02:29 PM
Glad it all worked out for you. Got any Pics?
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 05/22/21 11:44 PM
Thank you.

Sorry, no pix.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 05/24/21 06:27 PM
It certainly shoots nicely.

With my 300 grain loads using Trail Boss it prints 2" at 100 yards.

405 grain loads using 5744 shoots into 2 1/2".

First time out, and I don't pretend to be much of a rifle shooter.

This is with the barrel sights, and POI is low by about 6".

Don't know what my plans are for the barrel sights. With the ladder flipped up and the blade all the way down, it shows a 225 yard zero for the 405 grain load, 15" high at 100 yards.

I won't be doing much if any 100 yard shooting, so I'll likely just install the tang sight and go from there.

It's fun, the set trigger works very well, and recoil is certainly no issue with these loads.
Posted By: Vall Re: Pending Shiloh Sharps 45-70 - 05/27/21 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Longknife
Vall, can you post some pics of the Sharps 1874's that you built ? Those actions have to be hard to come by, Where did you find yours?,,,,LK

Sorry I didn't see this previously. I don't build on Sharps actions, as no offense, but I'm not a fan of the big side hammer guns myself. I've built on Remington Rolling Blocks, Hepburns, and numerous Ballard actions.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com