doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: OSS Springfield NRA Sporter - 10/30/19 04:02 AM
I recently picked up a Springfield NRA Sporter sn. 1,255,588 Barrel date is 4/23. It has been verified through SRS records as being shipped in May 1923. It is "unmolested"... original finish on wood & metal show honest wear and there are no extra holes. Bolt is not serial numbered... the muzzle has the "star gauge". Star gauge numbers are actually on the top of the barrel, rather than under the forend of the stock.
Springfield NRA Sporter production began with serial number 1,255,586... just two numbers earlier. I've learned receivers were heat treated in batches and rifles weren't necessarily finished in numerical order... but I've become very curious about the whereabouts of the first two rifles in the serial number range? When were these rifles sold by Springfield and where were they shipped, if known? Also wondering if Springfield kept a rifle for their museum?
Posted By: gasgunner Re: Springfield NRA Sporter - 10/30/19 01:16 PM
I am afraid I can not be of any help with the location of the first two, but that is pretty cool that you have number three, and that it has survived without being bubba'd. Thank you for posting.

John
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Springfield NRA Sporter - 10/30/19 01:57 PM
Nice find. I recently acquired #1317189 (1929) after it having lived its life in Alaska. Neat rifles.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Springfield NRA Sporter - 10/30/19 03:07 PM
Can you post a picture of the entire gun? Thanks.
Posted By: OSS Re: Springfield NRA Sporter - 10/30/19 03:31 PM
Here are a few other pics of the rifle... sorry I don't have a full size pic of the entire rifle at this time. The rifle is in the back of my friends van on it's way to Tulsa and I will join him at the show there next week.

Posted By: DanLH Re: Springfield NRA Sporter - 10/31/19 03:46 AM
While 1255586 is the first of a long string of consecutive serial numbers of NRA Sporters in the DCM sales book, there are a number of NRA Sporters listed with lower serial numbers going back to 1244711.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com