doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Antonio 1903 Springfield question - 11/17/19 08:37 PM
I have a high number '03 Springfield action that I am thinking of making into a .257 Roberts sporter. My question is if I can safely grind off the bolster on the right side of the front action ring? I know of some fine rifles in .22 caliber where this modification has been done, but I have never heard of it being done in a centerfire caliber. This modification would streamline the shape of the action somewhat. I do not know the original purpose of this bolster considering that most other bolt actions of that time did not have this feature. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Antonio
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: 1903 Springfield question - 11/17/19 10:38 PM
It is my understanding that the "bolster" as you refer to that reinforced receiver area came about when the U.S. Army ordnance board went from the .30-Gov't-03 cartridge to the adopted version in 1906-- the .30/Gov't-06.. Why, your guess is as good as mine. have a Model 70 in .257 Roberts-- made in 1947- I'd like to have a fiver for every coyote and fox and raccoon I have killed with it--excellent varmint round indeed-- RWTF
Posted By: Antonio Re: 1903 Springfield question - 11/17/19 11:16 PM
Thanks Runs. I never thought of that. I thought that all Springfields had the bolster, early and late. I do hope to get more information from the very knowledgable folks on this site, especially those with some knowledge of metalurgy and Springfield vs. Mauser metalurgy.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com