doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: David Zincavage Recently on Gun Broker - 02/15/20 06:15 PM
I was seriously tempted, but managed to resist this time.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855643336
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Recently on Gun Broker - 02/15/20 10:12 PM
Very nice. My wallet really appreciates I am a lefty when Rifles like this are available!
Posted By: DanLH Re: Recently on Gun Broker - 02/16/20 05:10 AM
I wondered about the fact there are no Pope numbers and date on the bottom of the barrel or he didn't show them if they are there and he showed some of the bottom of the barrel.
Posted By: Greg G Re: Recently on Gun Broker - 02/16/20 02:41 PM
Maybe it's just me, but that stock does not look like it was made pre war, despite what the seller seems to think. A well done replica of a pre war sporter stock, but not that old.
Curious what others think. Is that gun an authentic pre war sporter, or it just my mistrust of a lot of sellers descriptions?
Posted By: Poorhouse Re: Recently on Gun Broker - 02/16/20 03:28 PM
While I am not an expert on Pope rifles, I have seen several that were not "right." I hope the buyer asked enough questions before buying. I have a rifle with correct Pope .22 barrel, but everything else is obviously modern. I wanted it for a "shooter," and the price was right.
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: Recently on Gun Broker - 02/16/20 11:33 PM
It looks like the gun was reblued at least.

"two blind holes on the barrel that were welded and blued over"
Posted By: cpa Re: Recently on Gun Broker - 02/17/20 12:15 AM
Sure doesn't look like a prewar stock to me. All I see is a nice looking Springfield sporter that's been reblued, restocked with mediocre inletting and has HM Pope on the top of the bbl. The trigger guard and floorplate look like orig milled Springfield, not "commercial'. Is the Redfield front sight period correct for an HM Pope rifle?
Posted By: craigd Re: Recently on Gun Broker - 02/17/20 04:42 AM
It appears to have right hand twist rifling. I am not too familiar with Pope's work, but was under the impression that he tended to cut left hand twist and I was wondering if the number of grooves was typical?
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Recently on Gun Broker - 02/25/20 12:17 AM
To my eye, the stock design, hardware and workmanship look 1980s to more recent. I can't tell a thing about the so-called Pope brl?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com