doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PhysDoc what's been on your watch list? - 02/25/20 11:53 PM
I've seen some interesting auctions on gunbroker the last month or so and I wondered if many of you had seen them too and wondered what you thought.

I really liked these two Mausers and thought someone got a good price on them. Any idea on who did the work?

Mauser #1

Mauser # 2

And I was following this 1903 Springfield, I thought it went kind of high, again any idea who did the work?

1903 Springfield
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: what's been on your watch list? - 02/26/20 01:31 AM
The same seller with the 1903 had few other custom rifles from the same estate possibly by the same maker.

Springfield Trapdoor sporter

Krag sporter
Posted By: gasgunner Re: what's been on your watch list? - 02/26/20 11:47 AM
That magazine door latch on the Krag is about the coolest thing I've seen in while.

John
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: what's been on your watch list? - 02/26/20 12:10 PM
I thought so too, but I think the skeletonized hammer on the trapdoor is pretty neat as well.
Posted By: Greg G Re: what's been on your watch list? - 02/26/20 01:23 PM
I'm certainly no expert on IDing the makers, but the Krag has some similarities to stocks made by John Hutton, particularly the cheek piece.
Posted By: pod Re: what's been on your watch list? - 02/26/20 01:37 PM
I was watching on Gunbroker a I Hollis & Sons sxs 10 gauge hammer gun [1885] that was being sold as a wall hanger it appeared to be just dirty and off face, on an impulse I bid on it and won. [$255] It turned out to be a very high grade gun and cleaned up excellent plus. welded the hook and put it back on face. Every once in a while you get lucky. One very interesting thing was the engraving on a 10.5 pd. gun which is quails and pheasants with pointers.The rib is engraved I Hollis & sons London Finest damascus Prize Field Gun
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: what's been on your watch list? - 02/26/20 01:42 PM
pod,
Please post some pictures of your find on the main forum. I would love to see it. I'm envious of people that patiently search for and eventually find such treasures at great deals like that.
Posted By: Gary D. Re: what's been on your watch list? - 02/26/20 05:02 PM
I watched that Springfield too, and had an itch to bid until things went nuts toward the end. I don't know who built it, but it tickled my spidey-sense that it was someone I should've recognized. Geez I wish Michael were here- my education was just getting started.

There were two other nifty Springfield sporters early this week- a pretty M2 and a .22 K-Hornet conversion, from the same seller. I don't know how to retrieve the auctions or post links unfortunately. I was wondering if someone here snagged either of them. They too triggered my spidey-sense.
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: what's been on your watch list? - 02/27/20 06:51 PM
I thought this was sweet

I would have cut it to a normal length with an ebony tip on the forend.
Posted By: LRF Re: what's been on your watch list? - 02/28/20 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Marks_21
I thought this was sweet

Wow, good for the seller, just a bit overpriced for the buyer. IMO

How was it determined that it was a Paul Jaeger rifle? Seems to me you have to take that on face value. No checkering? Mismatched engraving? Average quality stock work? PJ, I think not. Certainly not at nearly $1900
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: what's been on your watch list? - 02/28/20 05:32 PM
I hear you on all counts, but I thought it was a nice rifle. Certainly
Wouldn’t want to pay 2K for it, but that’s how bidding goes sometimes.
I’d have put several hundred more on that first Mauser for sure. All these are reasons I am glad that most times I ignore these rifles because I’m a lefty.
Posted By: xausa Re: what's been on your watch list? - 02/29/20 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Marks_21
I thought this was sweet

If that rifle is a Jaeger, it is the first one I have seen without the unusual Jaeger cheek piece:

Posted By: DanLH Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/01/20 04:48 AM
It did say in the GB ad that the barrel is marked Jaeger but that doesn't mean it hasn't been restocked.
Posted By: LRF Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/01/20 02:02 PM
I hear you Dan, however we may be looking at some slight of hand or words. The seller said, ".....on a what is a Paul Jaeger custom Mannlicher stocked rifle in .284 winchester. That is marked on the barrel and what was told to me by the previous owner." What is marked? Paul Jaeger or 284 winchester?
Now the seller shows a pic of the barrel stamping for the 284 Win, but no pic of any other markings. Now they were using the Jaeger name as a selling point, won't you think they would proudly show it? Just saying....he's not lying but certainly not very clear.
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/01/20 04:52 PM
The barrel is stamped "Paul Jaeger Jenkintown, PA"

Information above was added on 2/10/2020 1:38:54 PM
Posted By: LRF Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/01/20 06:11 PM
Originally Posted By: 375whelenIMP
The barrel is stamped "Paul Jaeger Jenkintown, PA"

Information above was added on 2/10/2020 1:38:54 PM

Thanks didn't see that.
That still leaves the why no checkering and mismatched engraving. Its a strange duck IMO
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/01/20 10:28 PM
snobble cap + skeleton grip cap + skeleton butt plate....are brass? never seen anything similar....and they don't look like jaeger quality. and as stated earlier - never seen a jaeger sans checkering.
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/01/20 11:56 PM
http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/about-the-makers/gun-makers-catalogs/paul-jaeger/

Jaeger sold a whole line of guns and stocks without checkering called "utility". They also offered rebarreling. The .284 in question does not appear to have an original stock.
Posted By: LRF Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/02/20 04:43 AM

Thanks for sharing the above link.
Quite interesting and I have not seen that catalog before as I remember. On page 21 it talks about the "Jaeger M1 Safety". I know I have never seen one of these before. Curious does anyone know about these, have a rifle with one on it, or how it functioned? I would be interested in learning more. Thanks
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/04/20 09:46 AM
Originally Posted By: LRF

Thanks for sharing the above link.
Quite interesting and I have not seen that catalog before as I remember. On page 21 it talks about the "Jaeger M1 Safety". I know I have never seen one of these before. Curious does anyone know about these, have a rifle with one on it, or how it functioned? I would be interested in learning more. Thanks

I got one in a parts grouping a couple of years ago. I have not put it on a rifle yet. It seems to be a three position safety

above is the fire position,

above is on safe.

In the above position, I believe that the bolt can be operated but the firing pin cannot move forward.
Posted By: LRF Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/04/20 01:51 PM
Thanks Fred!
Posted By: xausa Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/07/20 03:31 PM
https://www.proxibid.com/Art-Antiques-Co...mation/52443428

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Milita...mation/52443616

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Milita...mation/52443439

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Milita...mation/52444183
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/07/20 08:31 PM
I made a pretty good effort to buy that Vernor Gipson. I think it was a pretty interesting rifle.
Posted By: xausa Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/08/20 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: 375whelenIMP
I made a pretty good effort to buy that Vernor Gipson. I think it was a pretty interesting rifle.

Yeah, I made a pass at it, too, but got beat out by $200. Of course, there's no telling how far the winner was prepared to go...
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: what's been on your watch list? - 03/08/20 02:06 PM
I am really curious about who the stock maker was, Gipson worked with some talented guys.

I hope you win that 6.5x55.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com