doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: LRF When the bars are all closed - 05/16/20 01:22 AM
When you can't go to the bars what do you do...I decided to make a Lyman #36 type peep sight for my M1910 Mannlicher. Was a fun project and works really well. The one picture is of all the parts needed. It is not an exact copy because I don't own a #36 or have I ever seen one other then in pictures. And they are usually very expensive if you can find one......

Posted By: Vall Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/16/20 01:57 AM
Nicely done Lynn!
Posted By: Gary D. Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/16/20 02:03 AM
Superb!

So, what shall you name your new sight company?? cool
Posted By: LRF Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/16/20 02:56 AM
Well maybe "Closed Sight Company" smile Bars are open in Wisconsin and opening here at the end of the month. So I won't have much time for machining. Just kidding.
So many years ago when I was on the bench I liked instrument making alot. The fun part is figuring out how to make all the features on the parts. For example on the bolt stop there is a dome shaped button on the bolt stop. I made that shape in the 4 jaw on the lathe and bored the shape. Anyway, it keeps me off the streets in retirement.
BTW, I have always been a Win M70 guy until I got this M1910 M-S and it is now my favorite. It's chambered in the 375 Nitro Express (9.5x57) which is sure fun to shoot
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/16/20 12:34 PM
Originally Posted By: LRF
I have always been a Win M70 guy until I got this M1910 M-S and it is now my favorite. It's chambered in the 375 Nitro Express (9.5x57) which is sure fun to shoot

Wow, that is quite the compliment coming from you. What are some of the things that you like about the rifle and cartridge? Also how did you blue the sight and what was the biggest hassle in making it?
Posted By: LRF Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/16/20 01:37 PM
I just like the looks and feel of the rifle. It was made in 1920 so its a century old this year. It has nice lines and features. It only weighs around 6.5 lbs and carries nicely.
I don't think anything was a major hassle. I long ago took the mindset that what ever I am making at that moment is the hardest thing I have ever done so I plan what I am going to do and then pay attention.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/16/20 06:37 PM
LRF,
Do you want to really have fun? I have one of these sights on a Mauser, the slide operates by rack and pinon. Try to make one of those. Really great work, BTW.
Mike
Posted By: LRF Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/16/20 07:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback Mike.
I believe you maybe describing a Lyman #35.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/16/20 10:23 PM
LRF,
That is correct.
Mike
Posted By: Hammergun Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/17/20 12:07 AM
Well done. I really like M-S rifles too.
Posted By: xausa Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/19/20 10:58 PM
Originally Posted By: LRF

BTW, I have always been a Win M70 guy until I got this M1910 M-S and it is now my favorite. It's chambered in the 375 Nitro Express (9.5x57) which is sure fun to shoot

I have a 1910 also and it bears the distinction of being the only rifle with which I have ever taken two deer with one shot. I still don't know how it happened, but a large doe and a yearling fawn were standing side by side about 50 yards from my blind. I have to shoot left handed because of a vision problem in my right eye, but I got the shot lined up and fired. When the dust cleared there was a deer down, which I assumed was the doe I was aiming at. Closer examination proved it to be the fawn and there was a heavy blood trail leading into the woods. The doe had made it about 100 yards before piling up. I still don't know what happened, but both deer were quite dead.
Posted By: LRF Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/20/20 12:38 AM
Originally Posted By: xausa
I have a 1910 also and it bears the distinction of being the only rifle with which I have ever taken two deer with one shot. I still don't know how it happened, but a large doe and a yearling fawn were standing side by side about 50 yards from my blind. I have to shoot left handed because of a vision problem in my right eye, but I got the shot lined up and fired. When the dust cleared there was a deer down, which I assumed was the doe I was aiming at. Closer examination proved it to be the fawn and there was a heavy blood trail leading into the woods. The doe had made it about 100 yards before piling up. I still don't know what happened, but both deer were quite dead.

Am I to understand your rifle is also 375 Express?
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/29/20 04:24 PM
A .375 H&H Magnum rifle at 6.5 lbs. Wow- you must be recoil-immune.. RWTF
Posted By: LRF Re: When the bars are all closed - 05/29/20 08:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
A .375 H&H Magnum rifle at 6.5 lbs. Wow- you must be recoil-immune.. RWTF

Not a 375 H&H magnum but a 375 Nitro Express developed by Westley Richards (9.5 X 57 M-S)
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com