doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Marks_21 Anyone shoot .25 Short Stevens Rimfire ? - 05/16/20 10:40 AM
I got a bunch of ammo and as I look at it it seems of moderate “effectiveness” primarily a competion / plinking round ?
I just bought a very High condition Remington No. 4 single shot rifle in 25-10 caliber which I understand is the same as the Stevens 25 rimfire.
I have not shot it as of yet because ammunition is not easily found. Lucky find.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Anyone shoot .25 Short Stevens Rimfire ? - 05/16/20 06:30 PM
Marks_21,
Like Gostrider, I have a nice condition Rem.#4. I have a small quantity of Western and CIL 25 Stevens long rimfire ammo. The CIL chronographs about 1080 fps which is a little slower than it is listed. On the other hand the ammo is pretty old, so I'm grateful it fires. Based on this, I would guess the shorts would do about 900 fps or less. I might be interested if the price is right and they are smokeless. PM me if you want to move them.
Mike
Posted By: Thaine Re: Anyone shoot .25 Short Stevens Rimfire ? - 05/17/20 06:45 AM
I have a Stevens Favorite (1915 version) that I've had since I was 10 (63 years) and always found it to be a great squirrel/rabbit gun. A Lyman peep helps with the shot placement and that flat nose bullet did the work. I only shot shorts during the periods I couldn't find the regular Longs. Don't really remember much difference. But when your'e talking tree top range at the most, both were effective. Like most, I have a small cache of ammunition and only use the rifle when feeling nostalgic. Old eyes much prefer a scope.
Posted By: Vall Re: Anyone shoot .25 Short Stevens Rimfire ? - 05/22/20 03:00 PM
Yes, I also shoot the .25 Stevens RF, and have about 7 boxes of old Cannuck ammo for mine. Considering the ammo is tough to find, and expensive now, I don't shoot mine often. But it's such a accurate shooting gun that I can't let is simply sit in the safe and never shoot it!
Mine is a Ballard #3 that is marked on the underside of the barrel, "Re-rifled by J Stevens Arms." and ".25 Rimfire" beside the first marking. The markings are the typical Stevens style as used on their guns. It also sports a J. Stevens full length telescope.

Posted By: Thaine Re: Anyone shoot .25 Short Stevens Rimfire ? - 05/22/20 03:31 PM
Vall,

Nice looking rifle. Wish I still lived in an area with Fox and Gray squirrels. This thread has me wanting to break out the Stevens for a day. Funny part is we have some, but only in town since eastern New Mexico is not exactly noted for its forests.

Thaine
Posted By: Vall Re: Anyone shoot .25 Short Stevens Rimfire ? - 05/24/20 04:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Thaine
Vall,

Nice looking rifle. Wish I still lived in an area with Fox and Gray squirrels. This thread has me wanting to break out the Stevens for a day. Funny part is we have some, but only in town since eastern New Mexico is not exactly noted for its forests.

Thaine

We've got plenty in town also, and more in town than out in the woods. But a 40 mile drive isn't too bad to get to gray squirrels here. I've never hunted them myself, and never eaten one either. Not sure why, but it just seemed like there was plenty of other small game I preferred to hunt.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com