doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: LRF A holy grail type find - 10/04/20 05:35 PM
Yesterday I was able to obtain a Boots Obermeyer 375 caliber barrel blank. A Obermeyer barrel blank to modern rifle guys is in many ways as a unfitted Pope barrel blank would be to single shot guys of days past.
This barrel was made in the early 1980's and was meant for a custom rifle build for a famous TV star of the same era, by my friend who was a noted custom gunmaker. However after all the pieces for the build were acquired the customer decided to change caliber to 7mm Mag. The barrel has since languished in the inventory of the gunmaker. Yesterday I revisited my friend after 15 years and he offered it to me as he no longer is working on guns. I snapped it up.
It is most interesting in the contour as the barrel was machine to be swamped. The muzzle diameter is slightly larger then the diameter 6" back from the muzzle. It may be the only barrel with this contour that Mr. Obermeyer did.
Now when I finish my Steyr built I might have another project in the wings.

Posted By: craigd Re: A holy grail type find - 10/04/20 06:26 PM
Can you tell if it is a blank, or was that thought to be contoured? Maybe,it's still possible to ask Obermeyer?
Posted By: LRF Re: A holy grail type find - 10/04/20 06:32 PM
I believe Mr Obermeyer has passed or certainly retired after a stroke in 2018 I believe

The barrel was contoured by Boots per the dimensions provided by the customer, my gunmaker friend. Yes it is an unused blank
Posted By: craigd Re: A holy grail type find - 10/04/20 07:29 PM
Thanks for the comment. I don't believe it would apply to an Obermeyer barrel, but there are some barrel makers that turn off some muzzle swell in final contouring that's used to create a little bit of choke at the muzzle during fabrication.

In any event, thanks again, and here's hoping it shapes up to be a fun project. No doubt an interesting and desireable find, maybe someone can stamp the maker and barrel specs under the forearm of the finished project.
Posted By: Boltman Re: A holy grail type find - 10/10/20 02:48 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting Lyn. Are you thinking .375 H&H? I like the .375 H&H a lot but I had one .375 Taylor and thought highly of that cartridge.
Posted By: Boltman Re: A holy grail type find - 10/10/20 03:31 PM
Here was an update on Boot's health as of July:

https://www.m14forum.com/threads/boots-obermeyer-health-update-7-16-20.507108/

Here's a nice picture of him -

https://i.imgur.com/TwvO02U.jpg
Posted By: LRF Re: A holy grail type find - 10/10/20 07:15 PM
Thanks Boltman for the link to an update. It is good to hear that Mr. Obermeyer is still with us.
I see his wife said he will not be able to return to work and that the business will/is closed. I guess that makes my treasure just a little bit more of a treasure.
I have not even given any thought to what I will do with it. I already own a Min M70 in 375 H&H not sure I need another.
Posted By: Kutter Re: A holy grail type find - 10/13/20 02:37 PM
Use the 375 bbl on your Steyr project.
Chamber for the 375 N/E rimmed 2.5" case
It was a popular offering in the British built Steyr, Martini & Lee sporters.

You can make a short version of it for the simplicity of obtaining brass by necking up 303British brass.
Then it'll be a 375 N/E 2.25" case .

I still owe you picks of my Romanian Steyr sporter carbine. Haven't forgotten, just haven't dug it out yet.
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: A holy grail type find - 10/13/20 06:21 PM
I am neither trying to be argumentative, rude, or critical- every happy find is a treasure, but what makes an unfinished blank excitingly special? Is barrel quality in the bore and rifling, not the chambering, action fit or contour ?
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: A holy grail type find - 10/13/20 08:18 PM
I have an unfinished half octagon, fully stamped and blued, barrel blank for an Marlin 1893 in 32-40. Found it in a drum of barrels at a show.

I was excited.

If you get it, you get it.
Posted By: LRF Re: A holy grail type find - 10/13/20 09:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Kutter
Use the 375 bbl on your Steyr project.
Chamber for the 375 N/E rimmed 2.5" case
It was a popular offering in the British built Steyr, Martini & Lee sporters.

You can make a short version of it for the simplicity of obtaining brass by necking up 303British brass.
Then it'll be a 375 N/E 2.25" case .

I still owe you picks of my Romanian Steyr sporter carbine. Haven't forgotten, just haven't dug it out yet.

Your idea would be a possibility, however I already have a 375 NE (9.5x56 MS) on a MS model 1910 rifle. And a .375 H&H on a M70.

I certainly will continue to look forward to pics of your Romanian sporter
Posted By: LRF Re: A holy grail type find - 10/13/20 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Marks_21
I am neither trying to be argumentative, rude, or critical- every happy find is a treasure, but what makes an unfinished blank excitingly special? Is barrel quality in the bore and rifling, not the chambering, action fit or contour ?

The barrel quality from one of, if not the best barrel maker of our time. IMHO
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: A holy grail type find - 10/14/20 01:03 AM
Forgive me if my preface highlighted anything less than a real question. I am asking sincerely is barrel quality in the blank or the fit and finish ? Surely you need some element of both. Certainly you wouldn’t send it to Joe Blow to finish the project- but are the roots that deep on a project like this? Using a Roush block does not make a Roush engine. Certainly doesn’t mean the Roush block isn’t quality or doesn’t represent a premium start. I am not judging the barrel maker or suggest Roush makes the best engines either. I am just asking if the roots are that deep.
EDIT :
Thinking about this I guess I missed the original point that this was a purchased barrel to use by another gunmaker delivered as is. I believe I considered it removed from a shop “partially finished” or “misc part”. I wasn’t thinking “new old stock”
Posted By: LRF Re: A holy grail type find - 10/14/20 12:33 PM
.... I am asking sincerely is barrel quality in the blank or the fit and finish ? .....

In the craftsmanship of the barrel maker. The value of the barrel is on the inside and not the "fit and finish", which are aesthetics at best. Brings to mind, “Only accurate rifles are interesting.” T. Whelen, and since the barrel is the single largest impactor to accuracy, I again say "on the inside"
Posted By: craigd Re: A holy grail type find - 10/14/20 12:55 PM
....what makes an unfinished blank excitingly special? Is barrel quality in the bore and rifling, not the chambering, action fit or contour ?

As it sits on the bench, I would think the bore, rifling and contour. When the thread started, the picture did not appear for me, so I assumed a blank meant cylinder. Others will probably know better, but this barrel maker has a long history of top quality in a rifling method that has since taken over the accuracy game. He is likely associated with training most of the current desireable barrel makers, and his barrels don't seem to become available with any predictability?

Since the contouring was done by this same maker, it was likely done well with high concentricity and without induced stresses. Once it left the barrel maker's shop, how it is used is likely a different issue and may not be related related to an either or barrel characteristic?
Posted By: LRF Re: A holy grail type find - 10/14/20 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By: craigd
and without induced stresses. ...

And, if any stress was ever there, it has most likely relieved itself over the last 30 plus years of setting waiting to be used.
Posted By: gasgunner Re: A holy grail type find - 10/14/20 07:41 PM

I can not answer that question for the original poster, but let me try and answer it from my perspective. I have known Boots for over 30 years now. Shared the firing line with him and spent many an hour in the pits discussing barrels, gunsmithing and politics with him, and was lucky enough to visit his shop one time. To me Boots represents one of the last of the great old time barrel makers in the same class as Pope, Schoyen, Hubaleck and others. With simple equipment and a lot of skill he made barrels that were sought after by the finest shooters, particularly in the highpower rifle community. He was never particularly prolific and always had a long wait list. About the only way I found to get one was to take whatever he had on hand. Boots was also a very competitive highpower shooter as well, finishing in the top 5% in the highpower nationals for many years.

I've had several Boots barrels through my shop in the last 25 years, and have one on my Palma rifle currently. While my bore scope says the barrel makers of today are making a better product than what any of the old timers made in years past, I would still snatch up any Obermeyer barrel I could find just as fast as I could grab my wallet. And my Palma barrel has shot 14 consecutive x's at 600 yards with iron sights even with me shooting it.

The above barrel would make a great addition to any fine custom rifle. Also as a side note, when making that barrel, Boots would have contoured that barrel to that rough contour prior to reaming and rifling so as to reduce any tendency for the bore to change when doing the final shaping of the barrel. Just one thing that you can do with a cut rifled barrel that you can't do with a button barrel.

Just my perspective, hope it helps,
John
Posted By: LRF Re: A holy grail type find - 10/15/20 02:08 AM
Originally Posted By: gasgunner

..... I would still snatch up any Obermeyer barrel I could find just as fast as I could grab my wallet.....

Interesting you said that because today my friend sold me a 6.5 caliber 5R rifled barrel blank he had and I bought it. Never fitted, 26 3/4" blank 1.3" breech diameter and .750 muzzle 8.5 twist. So now I have 2 of them. smile It also comes from the 1980'/1990's time frame.
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: A holy grail type find - 10/15/20 08:45 PM
Thank you for the replies. Cool stuff.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: A holy grail type find - 10/16/20 04:49 PM
LRF, I don't have any experience with Obermeyer barrels, but I think I know how you felt when you found this one. A couple years ago, I bought a group of barrels from an auction including a Springfield NRA Sporter barrel NOS together with the star gauge record. shipping tube and correspondence with the original buyer. I can't decide just what to do with it, but it's fun to have none the less.
Posted By: LRF Re: A holy grail type find - 10/16/20 06:30 PM
Thank you all for your comments
Posted By: craigd Re: A holy grail type find - 10/17/20 02:17 PM
Interesting and fun finds, I'd go back if it's not intrusive on your buddy. Just to be ornery, there might a Krieger thinking it'll have to wait in the bullpen, seeing as how there's a heavy sporter Obermeyer all ready to be a 6.5x53r?

Only a thought, how about a 375 Whelen for the subject barrel, if there's already a 375 Express in the rifle rack? Different enough from the Mannlicher round, more than plenty thump yet semi pleasant enough to use regularly at the range? Just for fun, maybe you can ask your smith friend if the original commission ended up with a muzzle brake? Maybe, the swamp was intended to trim ounces, but seamlessly fit a standard accessory.
Posted By: LRF Re: A holy grail type find - 10/17/20 04:44 PM
Originally Posted By: craigd
Interesting and fun finds, I'd go back if it's not intrusive on your buddy. Just to be ornery, there might a Krieger thinking it'll have to wait in the bullpen, seeing as how there's a heavy sporter Obermeyer all ready to be a 6.5x53r?

Only a thought, how about a 375 Whelen for the subject barrel, if there's already a 375 Express in the rifle rack? Different enough from the Mannlicher round, more than plenty thump yet semi pleasant enough to use regularly at the range? Just for fun, maybe you can ask your smith friend if the original commission ended up with a muzzle brake? Maybe, the swamp was intended to trim ounces, but seamlessly fit a standard accessory.

-Have thought about the 6.5 but I ordered the Krieger and plan to go that way. 6.5x57 MS brass is an issue. I also like the idea of having a project in the wings
-The 375 Whelen or 375-06 are good thoughts. I haven't spent any time on the subject but were thinking of something between the current 375's I have.
-No muzzle break was ever anywhere in the thoughts back when the barrels were made.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com