doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: DanLH Did S-man checker this '03 NRA sporter? - 07/04/21 06:13 PM
I just got another '03 NRA sporter that has had the stock checkered. I believe that the S-man did the checkering, Fred will be along with the photos that I think show this. The NRA sporter is the bottom rifle in the photos and before some says the one gun with a PG cap isn't an S-man, they are wrong, That is the only one seen so far without his typical S shaped PG and was one of those in Michael's original list of S-man rifles.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Did S-man checker this '03 NRA sporter? - 07/04/21 06:30 PM
Here are the pictures

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Thaine Re: Did S-man checker this '03 NRA sporter? - 07/14/21 06:21 PM
I was hoping there would be someone else jump in first, but here is my .02 on this. When I study the NRA sporter and compare it to the other examples, I come to the conclusion that the same person did the checkering. In my opinion, I believe it is a case of "S man" taking in a job that he could turn around quickly. Maybe it was all the customer could afford at the time. He used a pattern that he was familiar with and could probably cut quickly; adapting it to the oversized, in comparison to his own, NRA stock. Bills still had to be paid during that era and it was probably an easy job that satisfied the customer and produced some income. That's my 2 cents worth that is probably only worth .01
Posted By: DanLH Re: Did S-man checker this '03 NRA sporter? - 07/14/21 11:02 PM
I should add that this NRA sporter is in the DCM NRA sales list and I do have a letter coming on it which will tell us who originally bought the rifle and where he lived. This may be a clue as to where the S-man lived as I doubt that someone would have sent his stock to some far off place just to have it checkered. Michael had once said he thought the S-man might be from the mid-west because many of those he had on his list were in the mid-west but many of those on my latest list have come from all around the country although the newest on my list is in WI.
Posted By: DanLH Re: Did S-man checker this '03 NRA sporter? - 08/03/21 03:32 AM
I now have the letter and the gun was sold in May of 1928 to Harold Collings of Danville, IL. So maybe Michael's idea of the S-man being from the Chicago area might be true if we can believe this stock was checkered by the S-man.
Posted By: bsteele Re: Did S-man checker this '03 NRA sporter? - 08/03/21 05:23 PM
Danville sure isn’t far from Chicago! Where was it when you found it?
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Did S-man checker this '03 NRA sporter? - 08/03/21 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by bsteele
Danville sure isn’t far from Chicago! Where was it when you found it?

It is about 140 miles, so not quite next door.
Posted By: DanLH Re: Did S-man checker this '03 NRA sporter? - 08/04/21 03:29 AM
I got it from Tempe, AZ. But my first S-man rifle that I got at Tulsa came from CA but the story that went with it was a widow in CA was selling and she said her husband had bought it at Paul Jaegers in PA. So these guns do get around the country.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com