doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rtenenbown 1903 Takedown Aperture Sight - 07/01/22 02:19 PM
Recently acquired this Austrian Marked, 1903 MS Takedown, with factory pop up aperture sight.
Barrel Marked (Not English Make)
Receiver Marked: OESTERR WAFFENPABR-GES Steyr

Aperture is very small.
The aperture sight has two positions, up and down.
The rear sight has two leaves one marked 100 and a folding leaf marked 250.
1. What would be good diameter for the aperture if I elect to enlarge it?
Would I be adversely affecting value, to enlarge the aperture.
2. Aperture lines up on a line scribed on the 100 meter rear sight, with the aperture in the bottom position, the bead is visible at the bottom of the 100 meter leaf.
With the aperture in the top position it lines up with the line on the 250 meter leaf but I cannot see the front bead.
Is the design intended to use the upper position of the aperture with the line on the 250 meter leaf instead of the front sight?
I can post some photos if it would help.
Thanks in advance for replies.
Posted By: Gary D. Re: 1903 Takedown Aperture Sight - 07/01/22 06:33 PM
I'll go out on a limb and guess that this is a flip-up tang sight? If so, it's a common misconception that it is an actual sight. It is meant to be used as a focusing tool to more sharply see the barrel sights for precise aiming. Narrowing the aperture might have a deleterious effect on that. Or not. Your decision at the end of the day.
Posted By: LRF Re: 1903 Takedown Aperture Sight - 07/01/22 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Gary D.
I'll go out on a limb and guess that this is a flip-up tang sight? If so, it's a common misconception that it is an actual sight. It is meant to be used as a focusing tool to more sharply see the barrel sights for precise aiming. Narrowing the aperture might have a deleterious effect on that. Or not. Your decision at the end of the day.

As usual, Gary you nailed it.
Posted By: rtenenbown Re: 1903 Takedown Aperture Sight - 07/01/22 09:01 PM
Thanks, Gents.
It is a pop up Tang Sight.
I had read somewhere that it was to aid in focusing.
It would be for very deliberate shooting.
I wanted to verify it wasn't my soon to be octogenarian vision.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com