doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HighWall Missing side mount on Pre War Mod 70 - 07/06/22 11:11 PM
I have a pre war Win Mod 70. It is missing the side mount. Is there anyone out there with the correct G&H side mount that could send me dimensions? Dims of plate and stud and hole distances. I'd like to make her complete.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Missing side mount on Pre War Mod 70 - 07/07/22 07:17 AM
Can you explain why you don't have the pertinent dimensions since you have the gun with the holes evident? We want to help.
Posted By: SKB Re: Missing side mount on Pre War Mod 70 - 07/07/22 12:38 PM
The plates come from G&H uncut. You need to cut the side radius to the correct dimension and depth. The plate is then clamped in place and anchored with tapered pins and screws. When properly done the screw slots are removed and both ends are peened and struck off flush with the surrounding metal. I have installed a few of them, it is a bigger job than it initially appears.
Posted By: HighWall Re: Missing side mount on Pre War Mod 70 - 07/08/22 01:36 AM
My gun has the pin holes, and the screw holes. So a new G&H mount would then be cut to size? Am i understanding correctly?
Posted By: SKB Re: Missing side mount on Pre War Mod 70 - 07/08/22 01:47 AM
Yes, it would need to be reverse engineered. These are not like off the shelf mounts, every one is machined to fit. It really is a big job. Unless you have fairly advanced machinist skills you may be better off contacting G&H about installing a new base for you. The really critical part beside getting the holes to match your existing ones is that the radius is cut to the proper depth in order to center the scope on the bore.
G&H lists sidemount installation labor starting @ $370.00. At anything close to that I think it would be worth having them do it. Given that you have a nice M70 putting a G& H sidemount back on it is the best way to handle the holes in the side of the receiver.

I've had several people plug the holes left in the action from side mounts by various means & have never been completely satisfied. A G&H sidemount is not a bad thing on a serious hunting rifle where you might want to have iron sights as a backup.
Posted By: 1916XE Re: Missing side mount on Pre War Mod 70 - 07/08/22 01:16 PM
I currently have a pre-war Model 70 with a G&H sidemount complete with both Lyman and Leupold
Alaskans on separate ring mounts. BM is correct.
A G&H mount with an appropriate scope solves the early M-70 safety issue nicely.
I back the tough scopes up with iron sights and a Lyman 48 WJS receiver aperture sight as well. Nice to have in bear country.

G&H sidemounts are out there-they can be found.

(PS-there are G&H bases out there already cut & drilled. I have owned 3 that lined up with all the holes & worked. But
you can't count on that. Check all the old gunsmiths in your area. The mounts are out there, just not as prevalent as years ago.)
Posted By: HighWall Re: Missing side mount on Pre War Mod 70 - 07/09/22 02:50 AM
Thank you for all the help.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Missing side mount on Pre War Mod 70 - 08/10/22 09:31 PM
Apologies, I didn't understand that HighWall didn't have any holes in his gun or any G&H parts. If I were in that situation, I would have just tried G&H.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com