doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Any ideas on this weird one - 09/03/22 10:54 PM
Mail order 1895 barrel, nra m2 style buttplate

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/944361831

I was reminded of the Ralph G. Packard rifles but checked his book and didnt see anything similar.
Posted By: Tom Davis Re: Any ideas on this weird one - 09/04/22 11:36 AM
Interesting and definitely weird! Interesting treatment for the rear sight. Pretty sure I wouldn’t want to light off a 30-06 in a brass framed rifle!

It sold for a lot more than I would have guessed.

-Tom
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Any ideas on this weird one - 09/04/22 12:31 PM
How do you release the bolt from the receiver for inspection/cleaning of the bore? Looks like perhaps a Win M54 barrel??
Posted By: LRF Re: Any ideas on this weird one - 09/06/22 01:17 PM
Interesting from the point of view as to why would anyone build such a "gun".
Having said that I do have some curious questions. The body of the action is sort of shaped like a 99 Savage so I wonder what the magazine looks like. Looking at the left side of the receiver is what appears to be a window into the mag area, maybe a cartridge counter, again similar to the 99 Savage.
In one of the pics there is a person pulling open what appears to be, maybe the bolt release. What do you think?
The biggest question is why has it been de-milled with a hole drilled into the bolt? My theory is that someone fired the gun and found it to be dangerous. With the brass frame, if it was fired, I could see the bolt being setting back major.

And last the bolt handle, IMO, just looks stupid and why would anyone design let alone build such an affair.
Posted By: relics6165 Re: Any ideas on this weird one - 09/08/22 11:01 PM
Might be some kind of a model or prototype? Maybe it's not supposed to fire (I wouldn't want to fire it.......)!

My first thought is it's kinda shaped like some of the early semi autos.

Who knows?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com