doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Antonio Highwall question - 01/28/23 05:44 PM
How difficult or simple it is to modify a Highwall extractor for rimless cartridges? Morris Hallowell has two rifles for sale now that are rimless - one in 6mm Remington and another in 257 Roberts so it can be done. I have asked this same question to the folks at C-Sharp Arms in Montana, but have had no reply. I realize that there is always a rimmed cartridge that will do whatever it is you need to do, but I want to build one myself around a rimless cartridge.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

w
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Highwall question - 01/28/23 06:00 PM
Winchester made Singleshots in .30-06 and some experimental cartridges. Not many though. They have a spring (of course) and a screw on the left side of the receiver that pushes a modified extractor into the rimless groove of the case. I've never seen one, however.
Posted By: Antonio Re: Highwall question - 01/28/23 07:03 PM
Thank you Professor Brent. I will have to search for a photo and see if I can duplicate it.

w
Posted By: Antonio Re: Highwall question - 01/28/23 07:06 PM
Going back to the online photos at the Morris Hallowell site I don't see a screw on either the right or left of either rifle. Still searching for an answer and photos.

w
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Highwall question - 01/28/23 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Antonio
Thank you Professor Brent. I will have to search for a photo and see if I can duplicate it.

w

I looked in Campbell's, but found only the verbal description of it. Campbell had a lot of drawings and photos of most parts and variations, so the lack of rimless extractor drawings or photos is surprising. However, my search was quick and I should look again.

Modern highwalls by Winchester and Browning B78 are completely different under the hood, of course, but I wonder if you could get an idea from those and adapt it somehow.
Posted By: Antonio Re: Highwall question - 01/28/23 07:22 PM
I found the answer in Frank de Haas book on Single Shot Rifle Actions pages 12-14 in case anyone else is curious.

https://ia600909.us.archive.org/20/items/FrankDeHaasMrSingleShotsGunsIdeaBook/Frank%20de%20Haas%20-%20Mr%20Single%20Shot%27s%20Guns%20Idea%20Book.pdf

Thanks again Brent. Good suggestions to compare.

w
Posted By: DanLH Re: Highwall question - 01/29/23 04:12 AM
I have one that Pope modified to 7.5x55 Swiss that I can email you some photos. I can't post photos to this site.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Highwall question - 01/29/23 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by DanLH
I have one that Pope modified to 7.5x55 Swiss that I can email you some photos. I can't post photos to this site.

Email them to me and I'll post them for you. I always like to see another Pope, and a 7.5x55 would be a first for me in that rifle.
Posted By: Antonio Re: Highwall question - 01/30/23 02:07 PM
Thanks to both of you for your willingness to share and also to post. I think a lot of us would like to see some photos.

Many thanks,

Wally
Posted By: DanLH Re: Highwall question - 01/31/23 04:27 AM
I took a couple photos of the extractor modification, I need an email to send them to.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Highwall question - 01/31/23 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by DanLH
I took a couple photos of the extractor modification, I need an email to send them to.

My email is brentd@iastate.edu

It is in my profile as well.

I look forward to seeing them.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Highwall question - 02/01/23 12:55 PM
Here are three photos of Dan's highwall. A 7.5mm Pope is certainly interesting. I've never heard or read of one like it.

Antonio, is there a particular reason why you want a rimless cartridge? Perhaps you have the reloading gear for it from another rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Antonio Re: Highwall question - 02/01/23 03:22 PM
Brent et al.

I very much like the 257 Roberts. It is also the challenge of doing the project. I have made 2 falling block rifles in 30/40 Krag and it is a wonderful cartridge, but I want to try something different without going to a Number One or the more expensive Hagn or Dakota. Besides, I like the look of a Highwall.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I think the explanation and diagrams in Frank de Haas book is feasible for me.

w
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Highwall question - 02/01/23 09:55 PM
Antonio,
The 25/30-40 Krag is a good cartridge, either the standard or Ackley Improved version.
Mike
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Highwall question - 02/01/23 11:28 PM
Two more images from Dan's Pope Highwall.

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Highwall question - 02/02/23 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by Antonio
Brent et al.

I very much like the 257 Roberts. It is also the challenge of doing the project. I have made 2 falling block rifles in 30/40 Krag and it is a wonderful cartridge, but I want to try something different without going to a Number One or the more expensive Hagn or Dakota. Besides, I like the look of a Highwall.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I think the explanation and diagrams in Frank de Haas book is feasible for me.

w

Well, you could not have chosen better for your project. The highwall is the finest rifle ever made, anywhere. And the handsomest by a country mile.

Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: Highwall question - 02/02/23 04:07 PM
Just an observation based on 50+ years of experience : you can teach a bear to ride a bicycle, but you can't teach him to like it. A high wall can be made to work with rimless cases, but it's not worth the trouble. If you have to have a rimless case, get a Ruger.
Posted By: mc Re: Highwall question - 02/05/23 08:10 PM
I have a hi wall 25 krag 30 inch round bbl. With a weaver 10x scopeits ugly but works .farquharsen and 97 westly are much better looking .
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com