doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 12/11/10 06:32 PM
I am having a custom made Ziegenhahn und Sohn (Zella Mehlis) 16 ga sxs made for me. I will travel there in January (I live in Bavaria) to be fitted, select the wood and go over engraving details. I believe the barrels are already complete (Merkel) but will know more in Jan. I can't wait and will post when I return with updates.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 01/05/11 08:29 PM
I'm heading to Zella Mehlis on Friday 7 Jan to meet with Herr Ziegenhahn. The barrels and receiver are made, so I will choose the wood, get fitted, and discuss engraving and checkering. I can't wait!
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 01/06/11 12:24 AM
You are quite fortunate. From what I can gather, Krieghoff has Zeigenhahn making its side by sides and part of the deal is that Ziegenhahn will not sell to U.S. customers directly, at least not side by sides.

Please provide photos. They really are beautiful guns.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 01/07/11 09:06 PM
I had a great visit with Jens Ziegenhahn today at his gun shop in Zella-Mehlis. We spent most of the morning going over engraving ideas, and he photocopied some examples from books I brought. Then we picked the wood; he selected about 8 blanks for me to choose from, and I tabbed one that I hope will have great marbleing. The Turkish blank is air-dried and big enough to supply both the stock and splenter forearm.
Then we measured me for stock dimensions. Jens took an Essentia sidelock off the shelf to determine my LOP, cast and drop at comb and heel. Not a bad try gun! My LOP was 370 mm, or 14.5 inches, with my favorite coat and vest on for proper fit.
The checkering will be 26 LPI, in a diamond pattern, where uncut portions within the checkering make a diamond shape.
Of course, my camera battery was dead, but Jens took some photos and will send them to me. I got to see my roughed barrels, made by Merkel in Suhl about 5 kilometers away. The barrels are 28 inch, choked 1/2 and Full, and are ready to be polished and blued.
I will post pics when I can.
Scotty
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 01/08/11 01:27 PM
We're waiting with baited breath.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 01/16/11 11:47 PM
I am waiting on the pics to be emailed to me...patience is a virtue I am told so I wait pateintly..
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 01/17/11 10:05 PM
Scotty,
I must go on a UK assignment to the Birmingham area for the next 2 years so it looks like I will not see the finished article, shame.
best regards
Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 01/18/11 08:54 PM
Martin, are you available for a pint or two before you depart? I would like to shoot the breeze with you. At least in B'ham you can visit many fine gun manyfactures.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 01/25/11 10:23 PM
Here are the pics from my trip to Ziegenhahn und Sohn in Zela-Mehlis Germany. These are my 16 gauge barrels in the rough, and the Turkish walnut I selected for the stock and the splinter forearm. My engraving requests have spiked the price a bit so I am waiting to here what the final cost will be.

Scotty
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/08/11 03:50 PM
Bugger,
I left on the 18th to take some pals pigeon shooting near Dover UK. I ended up getting a total of 6500 acres to shoot over now.
Sorry I missed you.
Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/16/11 08:41 PM
Well, Martin, you'll have to make it up to me by taking me to Dover next time! Are you still in the UK?
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/17/11 07:57 PM
Well, the engraving I desire will cost an extra 800 Euro, and the drawings that accompany them, 200 Euro. But that allows me to see the drawing first, make any changes, and then keep the drawings for my records. And part of the satisfaction of having a bespoke gun is helping direct it's manufacture, is it not? So I will save my pennys and pay the extra cost.
The opening lever will have a "Texas Star" engraved on both side (thumb part) and I will have a compass rose(N-S-E-W) on the bottom integrated into a screw head, to relect my job as a Navigator, and that it was bought in Germany by an American. Game scenes will have my dog one one side and flushing pheasants on the other. This is a boxlock with false sideplates. Those sidelock pins just get in the way of a good metal canvas anyway... smile
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/21/11 12:21 PM
Scotty,
No sweat if you are up for it. You will need from your german hunting insurance company a statement in english that you are insured worldwide. This is a no brainer and they will send it to you in 3-5 working days free of charge.
I am planning on being every other weekend in Dover to hammer the pigeons as it is only a 3 hour drive from my office. I have a bunch of sxs and o/u guns stored there so there is no hassle with gun importing to the UK, just use one of mine that fits best your shape (Texan so 8 feet tall, hmmm).
I am in Kemnathen/Breitenbrunn from 04th late evening till the 08th evening of March to visit with my wife if you want to meet up at our pub in the village for a wet one.
Please PM me for my phone number.
Driving from Hohenfels to Calais should take you 10-11 hours plus 2 hours on the ferry and then I am 1 mile from the harbour or another idea could you hitch a roundtrip ride to somewhere that the US is based in Oxfordshire, UK with the USAF as I will be able to drive down the M40 passing thru Oxfordshire to London so I could pick you up there?
Regards
Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/21/11 05:49 PM
Martin, I hunt in Staadorf, very near to Breitenbrunn. Now the odd part is, I plan on being in Liege, Belgium on 4 March to visit the Browning Custom Shop. I am going to the base at Geilenkirchen for a visit, then over to Liege. If you were home in the UK, I could drive to Calais and take the ferry, but it sounds like you're in Bavaria that weekend. I need to contact the Browning sales rep to see if 4 March works for him, if not, I can adjust my dates somewhat.
Ideas?
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/22/11 11:50 AM
Scotty, I am taking the evening flight UK to Munich on 4th March then returning on am on 9th March.
My good buddy wants to also come over to the UK for some pigeon so we are looking at the beginning of April for him. Of course it all depends how they are flighting which is where driving is good as we can react more quickly if they are on the crops (I have a gamekeeper who I call check with as he is every day scouting the fields, he shot 5400 bunnies last year) So we could discuss it by phone first eh!
Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/22/11 06:14 PM
Martin, we will have to settle on a future date, maybe late April. How long is the season?
I would like to meet up for a pint or two at your local pub while you're here in Parsburg. I'll PM you my email and phone.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/23/11 12:51 PM
Scotty, The season is all year round due to a general license issued by the UK authorities there are just better times sometimes to shoot as they are coming in droves when seed drilling or after harvest when the surplus lies on the fields or during hard winters when there is little to eat so they flock up to search out food.
Pints OK with me. Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/23/11 07:35 PM
OK! Let me get my world-wide Insurance form and we'll plan a shoot. I have always wanted to hunt in the UK! Call me after Sun 6 Mar for a pint.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 03/18/11 10:18 PM
I saw and talked with Jens Ziegenhahn at IWA in Nurnburg last weekend. Great to see him and talk about progress on my gun.
IWA was great, and I found a boot company I like, Diotto of Italy. I was on a biz trip to Aviano, Italy this week, stopped by the factory and purchased a brand new pair of Diotto No-Scratch boots for 190 Euro...got a factory tour and everything. Amazing what you can get if you just ask!
Posted By: Doverham Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 04/27/11 06:48 PM
No Dak Scotty - I am very curious to hear about this, as I am trying to learn more about this company. I came across them while looking into Chapuis Armes. Heirloom Armes, which sells Chapuis, also represents Ziegenhahn in the US. They show a round action model made by Ziegenhahn on their website - not round body like the CSMC RBLs but a true round action like a Dickinson - which has caught my eye.

Thanks, Doverham
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 05/07/11 03:15 PM
Doverham, Ziegenhahn und Sohn custom make best and fine guns to your order. They also make renowned competition pistols. The Krieghof Essentia sidelocks are made by Jens Ziegenhahn. Jens uses the guild technique as do many European makers. My barrels were made by Merkel, the trigger plate by another family, and the engraving is done throughout Suhl and Zela-Mehlis. Jens does the woodwork himself, and the actions are made in-house with CNC. I took a factory tour when I placed my order. Rather a work-shop tour, because there really is no factory, jyst Jens' workshop. All measurements were done by Jens to ensure perfect fit for me. I was able to specify everything about the gun. It takes over a year, but then a bespoke gun is supposed to be worth the wait. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 05/09/11 01:40 AM
No Dak Scotty - that does help, thanks for that information. I have since spoken with Dale at Heritage Armes about this maker and ordering from them. Unfortunately, the dollar/euro conversion rate has driven their prices up a fair amount. I remain very interested in their round action gun but think I need to wait to see if the conversion rate move back in the right direction.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 05/21/11 02:32 PM
Dover, my gun will be a round action, so when it is finished I will post some pics.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 06/10/11 06:18 AM
UPDATE: I talked with Jens Ziegenhahn Thursday; he said I can visit in mid-July to see the completed metal work in-the-white, and drawings of my engraving plan. The cost to view (and keep) the drawings was an extra 200 Euros ($290) but well worth it to be able to approve the design before they cut any metal, plus I'll keep the drawings for my files. Stock work should begin late July. I am planning a November hunt in Normandy France for Huns and Pheasant, so I am hoping to try my new Double gun then!
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 07/20/11 08:10 PM
Monthly update: the engraving drawings won't be ready until early septemeber, so I will visit Jens then and see the completed metal work in the white, the craved-stock for a final fitting and adjustment, and inspect the drawings. Hoping to have the gun ready by the end of the this year.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 09/08/11 07:20 PM
September update: I talked to Jens this week and the 16 gauge SxS has been test fired and proofed! Very exciting news. Due to schedule conflicts for both of us, my next opportunity to visit will be in late Oct. Then Jens will do the final fitting adjustment on the stock. The engraving drawings are almost complete, and he will scan and email them to me for approval. Ideally I would see them in person, but my work schedule just doesn't allow. I'll see them in Oct anyway.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 09/27/11 06:44 PM
I have copies of the engraving drawings; I want to make some minor changes, which I am fortunate to be able to do so. The overall design looks fantastic, I just need to tweak a few things. Hoping to visit Jens in about 2 weeks to finalize the engraving and stock fit.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/15/11 06:25 PM
Here is the drawing of my engraving. I was able to dictate the design and style, and Jens even used "my" German Shorthair for the design. I went with an Old Germanic style, which I like better than the English Rose and Scroll. The reason I went with false sideplates on this Trigger Plate design gun was to have more canvas for engraving. Only one sideplate is complete, the other will have the same background but with different game scene. I have a Texas Lone Star on the opening lever because I'm originally from Texas, and the compass on the floorplate represents my job as a aircraft Navigator, and also as an American who bought the gun in Germany...an international traveller, I suppose.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/15/11 11:36 PM
Very nice. It will be a treasure when it's done.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/18/11 02:28 AM
NoDak Scotty - you should be very proud of that gun!
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/20/11 07:45 PM
Yes, now I just have to pay for it!
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/29/11 09:06 PM
Gents, I had the pleasure of visiting Jens Ziegenhahn Friday 28 Oct and got to see my gun in the white. Jens made the final stock measurements for LOP, comb, and cast, and everthing seems to be measured just right. The gun fits very comfortably and naturally to my face. Jens cut a little here and shaved a little there on the stock, all while I watched. A very enjoyable experience. The masking tape is holding the tang in place.
The wood turned out like I had hoped it would, with lots of marble and character. It will change a bit as Jens makes the final shaping and stains it, but as you can see, it should be a very nice stock. Hoping to have it completed by January, but I am in no big hurry.

Posted By: steve white Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/30/11 01:59 AM
Congratulations! Are you basically getting a Kreighoff
Essentia without the middleman? Hope it is a good deal...hint, hint--we all want a ballpark figure. Very nice.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/30/11 06:47 AM
This gun will only share some outward appearances with an Essentia, since they come from the same master gun maker, but it will be a strictly "Ziegenhahn und Sohn" gun. My gun is a trigger-plate action, and most Essentia's are a true side-lock gun, the rest being (I think) A&D Boxlocks. I have false-sideplates for more engraving canvas. I selected the wood blank from the "B grade" stack, as the "A grade" stack was more than I wanted to pay for, but having bought a few blanks in the past, I think I chose a good one. The engraving is the expensive part, at 3,000 Euros, almost 25% of the total price.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 11/06/11 10:16 AM
Hi Scotty,
I was at the Hohenfels Hubertus fest held last last night, won me a complete freshly shot roe deer from the raffle some nice hunting horn music was played too, lovely traditions they have here.
Weidmansheil.
Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 11/09/11 02:53 PM
Martin, I just returned today from a Pheasant and Partidge hunt in France with my dog Casey. Hunting was not that great, but at least I have now had the experience and scrathed 2 Roosters and a Patridge, and had a fleeting shot at a Woodcock. I'll post som pics later.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 11/21/11 05:22 AM
Scotty,
The group hunting drive is on 11th December this year in the Gimpertshausen forest, are you in on it?
I have had to cancel a driven hunt in Poland which falls on the same weekend. I have to show willing locally.
Best wishes, Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 11/21/11 07:15 PM
Martin, thank you for the invite, but I am hunting Quail in the California high desert that weekend,.I have a buisness trip followed by a friend's retirement ceremony, then he and I chase quail for two days.
But let me know when you want to share a pint in Kemnathen!
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 11/22/11 12:56 PM
JaegerMeister, Schnapps --moggenweise eine Warsteiner, Ja. I envy you gents just a bit- if given the choice (by Warren Buffett's largess) between a driven shoot in England, or a hunt in Hungary or Germany-- Wunderbar- in Deutschland, Jawohl.

St. Hubertus is the patron Saint of hunters in Europe, is the festival in his honor similar to the great Oktoberfests held earlier in the Autumn there- Danke!!
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 11/22/11 05:05 PM
I have been to Oktoberfest, but not St Hubertus fest; One thing I know for sure, is that they drink a LOT of great Bier! My favorite is the Bavarian Dunkel or dark bier; smooth as silk and great flavor.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 11/22/11 07:09 PM
Ya- In MI- Frankenmuth (near Saginaw) most likely has the greatest concentration of folks of Germanic descent-Many years ago the old Carling brewery was going strong- a heavy competitor to the Stroh Brewery in Detroit- about 90 miles South. Carling Black label was a fine Pilsner beer- much like Budweiser, Pabst, Miller and Schlitz- and very popular. I grew up on Cincinnati Creme with their old "Ask for the handsome waiter" logo, but my Granddad liked Altes- German word for the 'topmost" or "peak" of flavor- as opposed to the other word Haupt- meaning the highest up the ladder-- Almost all those pilsner beers are either gone, or the original breweries have been swallowed up by the "Big Three"- Anheuser-Busch, Miller and Jacob Coors--

But the old Carling brewery is back up and running as a very fine micro brewery today- Their Dunkel is first rate, I like it as well as Leinie's Nut brown- and their Doppelbock is first class-

You'll never see a native German drunk on beer- not because they are so used to it- but besides the Reinheitgsbot of 1516 (Purity of brewing)laws that govern brewers in Germany- they drink their bieren in tall clean glass mugs- and NOT Frosted- served at about 38-40 degrees. Drinking beer from a bottle (we call that Chicago style- don't know why-just is) or from a bar tap on draught and ina frosted glass mug- Nicht zer Gut--

I like a tapered glass with a nice wide rim that will hold 14 ounces- room for the head- and I tilt the glass at first, then bring it up to "plumb and level" to the tap of bottle to cap off the head. But to each his own-- We owe a lot to the Egyptians-- they were the first to brew beer, they developed the condom concept, and they gave us King Tut- so Steve martin could prance around on stage with a fake arrow in his head-
Posted By: canvasback Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 11/23/11 04:35 AM
Fox, I can't imagine anyone else on here bringing this thread around to Steve Martin and King Tut. Fantastic! I've been chuckling since I read your post. Martin was hilarious.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 12/16/11 10:22 PM
Gents, the engraving is complete. The gun should be ready next January. I think the engraving came out great, couldn't be happier. Have not seen it in person yet, but Jens sent me these photos and afew more.

That is "my" dog in the engraving, an excellent design of her.

Posted By: steve white Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 12/16/11 10:48 PM
Will it be case colored like the Essencia? Congratulations! STeve
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 12/17/11 08:34 AM
No, it will be Satin Nickel like in the pictures. I appreciate Case Coloring but don't desire it on my own guns.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 01/20/12 07:08 PM
Gents, I visited Jens Ziegenhahn today to wrap up some of the payment for my gun. Hope to pick it up 10 Feb! Today the metal parts were back from being hardened in an oven. I was able to see all the metal except the bottom tang. Wow is all I can say, the engraving is better than I hoped for. Full pics when I pick it up next month.

Now, if you read your Shooting Sportsman, you may recall Steven Dodd Hughes' article on the Manufrance Simplex and Ideal. When I showed the article to Jens, he says "Have you seen my Ideal?" And out comes an 1899, double trigger, ejector model Ideal, with a retractacble sling stored in the butt. Beautiful wood and very fancy engraving. Here is a crude pic I took with my point and shoot; I've never seen this "Scissor-style" double trigger look.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/09/12 07:24 PM
Big day is tomorrow, Friday 10 Feb!
Posted By: R. Glenz Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/11/12 01:59 AM
I'm feeling a little jealous! Enjoy the day, and lets see some photos.
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/11/12 02:56 AM
Can't wait to see the finished product. Absolutely fantastic.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/11/12 11:05 AM
OK, guys, here she is. My Ziegenhahn und Sohn 16 Gauge SxS with 28 in barrels, English Grip, Trigger Plate action with Double Triggers, choked Mod and Full to hunt Pheasants, Sharptails and Huns on the Great Plains, false sideplates with custom engraving, weighing at at 6.28 pounds. The gun looks great and feels great. It mounts a little higher on my cheek than my O/Us, I think for a rising Pheasant, kind of like a Trap gun. I haven't measured the actual DAC and DAH yet, will do that and take more pics when I get time. The triggers and long bottom trigger tang were Blued, which I didn't ecpect, but I really like the contrast between the blueing and the Silver finish of the receiver. More pics with Macro soon.

The Italian case needs a minor adjustment; the snap cap holder needs about 2mm's cut off so the gun slips in and out easily; right now it is too tight a fit. Minor issue that can be resolved easily. The "primer" in the Snap Cap is spring loaded so it gives a little when the firing pins strike it.
Total time from order to receipt was 22 months, but I made it clear I was in no hurry. Jens could have done it in 18 mos if required. However, the bird hunting over here in Germany is less than optimal and everything is expensive (gas, hotels, etc). So this Fall, my GSP and I should be bustin' birds in the good ol' USA!
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/11/12 02:27 PM
Here are some close ups:

How soon can we go, Daddy?
Posted By: canvasback Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/11/12 07:32 PM
What don't I love about that gun. It is beautiful. Also liked Jens' Ideal. I have one myself. It was used to illustrate the article by SDH in SS you referred to.
Posted By: C. Roger Bleile Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/11/12 11:28 PM
Scotty,

Congratulations on the completion of your beautiful custom made shotgun. When someone commissions a custom gun as you have done they become part of the creative process and can take pride in the fact that this fine gun would have not existed without your personal input and financial outlay.

You can contrast your role in the creation of your Ziegenhahn with that of the antique collector who simply purchases the right to become a caretaker of the piece during their lifetime. Your gun will probably be used and admired for many generations into the future (subject to govermental fiat of course)and you are the one that that started the process.

I noticed on the drawing that the engraver is A. Brandt. I am not familiar with him or her. Could you please tell us the first name and anything else about the engraver you know.

Thanks,

Roger
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/11/12 11:39 PM
Very pretty wood & engraving & I'm sure it has impeccable workmanship.

I've followed your posts with interest as I have been shooting a Ziegenhahn trigger plate 16 bore I ordered through Krieghoff for the past year. I believe the Krieghoff version is mechanically the same as your gun except that the Krieghoff version uses an Anson type forend latch rather than the Deely type (Krieghoff calls it a boxlock but it actually is a trigger plate action). Mine weighs 6 lbs 1 oz with 29" bbls.& it has great balance & trigger pulls. It is becoming my favorite upland gun.

The triggerplate Ziegenhahn guns are very nice & IMOP give up nothing to the sidelock version. I hope you shoot your gun well.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/12/12 04:55 PM
Roger, Anke Brandt is the engraver and she just recently moved from Germany to Norway. Jens Ziegenhahn still users her for engraving but the process of shipping "gun parts" to Norway is very difficult; they are not in the European Union and the difficulty and fall-out from the massacre last year. Here is her website:
http://www.buechsenmacherei-brandt.de/pages/en/home.php
I was completely impressed by the engraving work. Having studied your very fine website for ideas (thank you!), I asked for Altdeutscher (Old German) engraving on the reciever body and Jagdszenzen or Game Scenes on the sideplates. Rose and Scroll are nice but I wanted a bolder look, and Altdeutscher was my choice. The game scenes are not quite Bulino, but I think they are pretty darn good! The clouds, the furrowed rows in the fields, I am just extremely pleased with the work. I think for many years I will discover new nuances in the engraving.
I also insisted on a "border" between the game scene and the wood, which I saw on your website and (wheat chaff border) and insisted on having something similair. The compass on the bottom of the trigger plate reflects my job as a Air Force Navigator, and it has N-S-O-W...O for "Ost", which is East in German. Very unique I think. She also studied pictures of my dog and it is a very authentic replica of my 5 yr old GSP. Since I am from Texas originally, I wanted a "Lone Star" on the opening lever. Just thought it was cool and different. She did a great job, even shaded the Star.

Hope this helps, and I really enjpyed and relied on your website for ideas; I spent 3,000 Euros, or about USD $4,200 on the engraving, so I spent many hours going over the details and getting what I wanted.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/12/12 05:06 PM
Canvasback, thank you for helping SDH with his article; I would have never learned about Manufrance Simplex or Ideals without it. Jens Ziegenhahn was very interested in the article.

Brittanyman, Jens offered my a push-button forearm release or the latch; I chose the latch for more engraving space and it resembles my beloved Superposeds. I have not fired a triggerplate gun yet (although the Superposeds resemble that design), but I agree the design is very good and strong and seems to be well liked.
In regards to your fit and finish comment, I will agree it is extremely nice. Jens said himself that custom gun parts are not perfectly made, but they are perfectly put together. Having done the "London Gunwalk" just last month of H&H, Purdy, Williams and Son, Beretta, etc, I can say with confidence Jen's gun will match or beat them in fit and finish. That's why the Krieghof Essencia's are priced the way they are.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/12/12 10:02 PM
Scotty, I'd like to take some credit but it was the previous owner who got the gun involved with SDH, just before I bought it. I just liked seeing it in the magazine.
Posted By: C. Roger Bleile Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/12/12 10:49 PM
Scotty,

Thanks for the information about Anke Brandt. I'm glad to learn that my glossary website was helpful to you with your project.

Mit freundlichen grüssen,

Roger
Posted By: Doverham Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/14/12 01:59 AM
Scotty - that is the gun of a lifetime. If it shoots anywhere close to as good as it looks, you have many fine days in the field ahead of you.

I assume that you dealt Ziegenhahn directly from the beginning since you are located in Germany. Will Ziegenhahn deal directly with US customers or do they prefer to work through a US agent? Heirloom Armes offers Ziegenhahn guns on their website, but it is unclear if they are the exclusive agent for Ziegenhahn in the US. I am very interested in their Round Action gun and am considering a custom project based on that model.

Thanks in advance, Doverham
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/14/12 06:10 AM
Doverham, I will check with Jens Z. Their may be some agreement with Krieghof that limits his direct-to-US capabilities but that is just a rumor.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/14/12 02:53 PM
Doverham,

I ordered a custom triggerplate (round action) gun through Krieghoff & I found Krieghoff N.A. extremely easy to work with on a custom order. I was able to specify non standard 29" bbls., no gold other than a gold "S" indicating safe position, a checkering pattern with a mullered border similar to the pattern Westley Richard uses, blued triggers at no extra charge. They also provided me with pictures of available stock blanks to chose from. The gun is engraved Krieghoff Essencia in small script on the bottom of the action & I was told "it has to be marked Krieghoff somewhere". Of course I was able to specify stock dimensions, chokes, trigger pull weights etc.

I looked at the Heirloom Arms website but did not talk to them & I know nothing of them. Their pricing appears to be out of date & I don't think includes engraving. Also their round action guns pictured have the lump piercing the bottom of the action. Scotty's gun & the Krieghoff sourced guns don't.

I'm sure you can save some $ if you can go direct. I chose to go through Krieghoff as I've found their service department to be excellent & they were very good to work with on the custom order.

If you should choose to work with Krieghoff I would recommend talking to Nick Ranzau @ Jaqua's Fine Guns & Jacque Baughman @ Krieghoff N.A. in Ottsville P.A.
Posted By: Doverham Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/14/12 06:05 PM
Scotty - thanks for checking. I vaguely recall hearing somewhere that Ziegenhahn was precluded from selling directly in the US as a condition of making Essencias for Krieghoff. I did come across something indicating that New England Custom Gun had at one point a relationship with Ziegehahn - I have a call into them to find out more.

B-Man - thanks for that information. So, was your gun a customized Essencia boxlock or something different? good catch about the through-lump, I had not noticed that. There was an interesting thread recently on the main DGJ forum about how through-lumps reflect on a gun's overall quality. Peter Hofer guns have them for whatever that is worth.

There are currently two new Essencias sidelocks for sale at Cabela's in the low $20k range - a great deal if your sofa has a lot of loose change. Neither gun quite matches my specs so I can't justify stretching my budget that far for a gun that is not a perfect fit.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/14/12 07:51 PM
Doverham,

My gun is a custom ordered Krieghoff Essencia boxlock. For some reason Krieghoff calls them boxlocks but they are actually a round action triggerplate gun. The only pins through the action are for the cocking lever pivots & the hinge pin. The sear & hammer pivot pins are on the triggerplate. They are nice guns, very slender & with excellent handling qualities. They resemble a Westley Richards round action droplock in profile(obviously of very different construction than a Westley Richards). Nicer looking in my opinion than the back action sidelock Essencia but apparently most people don't agree as there are a lot more Essencia sidelocks out there than boxlock/triggerplate guns.

Hold out for the gun you want or down the road you will regret making a compromise to save a few $$. I've been there & done that several times.

I suggest you look at the Ziegenhahn & Sohn's web site if you haven't done so. They offer a back action sidelock with a different lockplate profile that IMOP is much more attractive than the gun they build for Krieghoff as the Essencia sidelock with the dipped edge lockplate.
Posted By: steve white Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/14/12 11:41 PM
Congratulations on a fine bespoke firearm...sorry you have fewer excuses for missing now!
Posted By: Doverham Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/15/12 03:46 AM
B-man - thanks. I know of what you speak about waiting for the right gun. It took a few guns (fortunately, none as expensive as an Essencia) to learn that lesson. I agree with you that the boxlock round actions are in some ways more appealing. The Essencia sidelocks have a very unique look - verging on exotic.

I have spent too much time on the Ziegenhahn website already - I need to fish or cut bait. I am traveling for the next 10 days, but when I get back I plan to put a call into Germany.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/16/12 04:35 AM
Doverham, I sent you a PM.
Posted By: steve white Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 04/15/12 01:43 AM
Lovely gun...I had not noticed until you were having yours made, how many pictures and references to Ziegenhahn's work were in Klupp's book "double rifle"
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 04/24/12 07:34 PM
I will have to look that book up and see for myself all those good pics.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 04/30/12 08:42 PM
Gents, just an update on the Ziegenhahn 16 gauge sxs.
The gun is safely home in Texas while I am back here in Germany. It made the trip with me to Dallas in my Storm Case, along with my 30-06, just fine...Lufthansa is awesome. I will be "home" this July-Sept to shoot a few rounds with whomever is in the DFW area then I pack up for North Dakota again.
I had a small metal tip break off the forearm latch during my round of skeet here in Germany, and Jens fixed a new one, had it engraved and custom fit in one week. We were both surprised the tip broke, he said the metal was too brittle. Machiones break, but Jems fixed immediately, no Q's asked.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/14/12 04:14 PM
Bump
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/14/12 04:22 PM
Ahhh, the Ziegenhahn has found a home in North Dakota and I have completed it's long journey from just a crazy idea in Germany to taking game in North Dakota. I took two roosters on opening day here in NoDak with my 6 yr old GSP, Casey. Dog, Hunter, and Gun, what a great trilogy to unite while enjoying the great outdoors.

Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/14/12 11:09 PM
Very nice. As it should be.

Now, tell us what your dog has to say about being on the gun which is shooting the birds he finds....
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/15/12 01:35 AM
As you can see, Casey is very camera shy. I thinks she does not like the camera and refuses to make eye contact with it...weirdest thing. But her pose on the side of the gun is great and so are the pheasants on the other side. Hope to enjoy it on the warmer days this fall before the real cold sets in.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/16/12 11:16 AM
Hi Scotty,
Well we are both in the states at the moment.
I came over on very short notice to do 2 months in Juarez so I am staying in El Paso each evening and I had to bring my oldest P Webley SxS with me as it was older than 1898 so was not classified as a firearm I call her Victoria as it was that queens era.
Now I need to find some 2.5 inch shells and some time to hunt. Bought a NM license alreadz.
Best wishes
Martin from Kemnathen.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/16/12 11:18 AM
Whoops got the same post up twice.
Martin from Kemnathen,Bavaria.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/16/12 01:53 PM
Martin:

Call these guys. They'll have what you need.

http://www.rstshells.com/
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/17/12 01:42 AM
Remington 40x thanks for the heads up, I am an Anschutz man myself, bought my 1813 at Camp Perry in 1984.

Well to the bad news = 2 days into the new job and my asssss still hanging from jet lag and I get fired from the Juarez job as not a hard enough person, suits me fine that is my nature will not change at 62 YO. And who gives a rats behind anyway?
So now here I am in the biggest economy in the world (still) Chinas chasing youuz boys hard. And as I do not have a valid US work visa working is out so now I have a valid return ticket paid for by the company and nothing to do up till xmas so I guess I will stay here and chase up some hunting. I brought with me an 1885 12G P Webley and a Traditions inline .50 cal with a schmidt & bender scope fitted.

ANY IDEAS? I can go anywhere in the US - Canada.

Happy days Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/17/12 03:00 AM
Martin, you can visit the Dakotas for pheasant, Hungarian (Grey legged) Partridge, Sharptail Grouse, and waterfowl. Drive over to Montana and hunt for Sage Grouse. If you get up to Minot, North Dakota, all the beer is on me. Bring a good coat though, it gets chilly up here!
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/17/12 10:38 AM
Well, I'm going to suggest a couple things:
1. Get a good rental car. This has the makings of an epic road trip.
2. Put your plea up on the main page.
3. I'm going to impinge on post-er Skeettx. From his manifold posts, he seems to have hunting time and shooting time in abundance. He's from Amarillo, which is a two six-pack drive from El Paso, IIRC. Get in pm contact with him. Likewise guys like Last Dollar (who seems to live on the road now) and some of the plains region folks. See if you can work out hunting/shooting expeditions.
4. When you decide where you want to go, buy hunting licenses in advance online. Get some paper maps. Remember there's a lot of public land in many states where you can hunt freely upon pulling in to a parking space and having a valid hunting license. You may want to pick up a cheap propane camp stove and camping cook kit, so you don't wind up eating bad convenience store food all the time. Wal-Mart will be able to fix you up in that department for under $50. Toss a cheap sleeping bag in the trunk, in case you get stuck somewhere. A prepaid cell phone.
5. If you get all the way to Maine, pm me in advance and I'll shake free at least a day or two to try to show you some grouse hunting.
6. If you've got guns in the car, avoid places like New York City (and the counties directly adjacent to it), Chicago, Washington DC, Massachusetts, New Jersey. Their gun laws are very troublesome. In Washington DC it's still effectively a total gun ban. In NYC and Chicago, pretty much the same. In Mass., an empty shotgun shell is considered "reloading material" and illegal without permits. In New Jersey (where I used to practice law), the laws are so complicated I've seen it more often than I'd like to admit where someone is perfectly legal and they still get busted and their guns seized because all the cop sees is a gun. Even when you were legal, you'll likely never get your guns back and, if you do, the cops will have wrecked them somehow. Most of these places you can steer clear of relatively easily, and the back roads are prettier this time of year.

There are bird seasons open throughout the country for the entire time you'll be here. Have fun.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/17/12 12:34 PM
Sure
Amarillo has no quail/phesants because of the dought, but we can shoot, shoot, shoot
I have the keys to the shotgun range, rifle range, and pistol range.
If you find yourself "in the area", let's play
Mike
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/18/12 01:03 AM
Wow, What a welcome.
It sure takes the sting out of now being unemployed and a legal alien (I always thought they lived on Mars). I might try squareing up the map of the USA so beginning here, head west when feet get wet head north, when nuts fall off from the cold head east, when feet get wet get on big bird AHHHH. And hunt in between. Heady days for an old fart like me. Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/18/12 02:15 PM
Martin, go to a Barnes and Noble book store and pick up a bird watching book with upland birds and their habitats. I have a Sibley's Guide to Birds by David Allen Sibley. It lists all the North American upland birds and where their habitats are.
You could hunt Gamble's, Montezuma and Scaled Quail in Arizona and New Mexico, Chukar in Nevada, Blue & Sage Grouse in Wyoming. and Hungarian Partridge, Sharp-Tail Grouse and Pheasants in the Dakotas. If you continue East, you can chase Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
And you'll see some pretty country along the way and be pleased that gas is only $3.80 a gallon here versus Euro 1.80 back in Kemnathan, or about $9 a gallon when converted to USD and Gallons!
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/19/12 02:56 AM
AAAGGGHHHH,
I have a huge book in Germany of all the quail species but have not looked at it for a few years.
By best pal who died 2 years ago went out west on a 10 day deer hunt from Detroit in the 80s and came back to his wife 6 weeks later. Its shaping up that way for me now.
Thanks
Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/19/12 12:27 PM
Awesome, post pics of your adventure!
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/19/12 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: bavarianbrit
... By best pal who died 2 years ago went out west on a 10 day deer hunt from Detroit in the 80s and came back to his wife 6 weeks later. Its shaping up that way for me now....

And this is a bad thing why, exactly? Other than the dying part, of course.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/20/12 04:03 AM
I tried to rent a one way car in El Paso and the price they wanted was too high so I will have to plan my trip starting and finishing there.
I am in Las Cruces tonight as tomorrow & Sunday there is a big gun show. I will try to sell some of the Zeiss & Hensoldt scopes that I took with me (I have got to cover the trip somehow).
Drool drool.
Regards
Martin
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/21/12 12:23 AM
Well the gun show was awfull in Las Cruces so as I have rented a new Toyota I will be heading north up to the Canadian border just for the hell of it and Scotty I really will try to pass through Minot, North Dakota.
Then I will come back down to El Paso for the flight home so it should take a couple of weeks in total.
Any varmints up there?
Best wishes
Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/21/12 03:25 AM
Martin, unlike Bayern, we have Coyotes, some wolves, fox, rabbit, a few mountain lion, and lots ob upland birds. I think you can take US Hwy 83 from Abilene, Texas all the way to Minot, ND. Stop in the Flint Hills of Kansas for some Pheasant hunting. Then try the NE corner of Nebraska, and of course, the Pheasant Triangle in southeast South Dakota. Jamestown/Devil's Lake North Dakota is in the Goose/Duck flyway, and then you can get to Minot. I went out this evening with the Ziegenhahn but no luck. Saw 5 Hun Partidge. My dog Casey enjoyed it though.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/22/12 03:36 AM
Scotty, Just finished a Los Alomos museum visit (I worked on the airbase in Roswell where Tibbits was stationed after ww2) am going north past Denver as I need to find 2.5 inch shells first, I will call in at the Trinidad gunsmithing school tomorrow to introduce myself.
Regards
Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/22/12 03:48 AM
I gave Brig Gen Tibbits a tour of my B-52 in the late 1990s and got his autograph. From Denver you could work North to Cheyenne, WY, then you're only 12 hrs from Minot.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/24/12 02:46 AM
Scotty, as I am from Winnipeg and grew up watching the tv weather forecasts for Devils Lake , Minot, Fargo etc, I can only say its nice to bump into another who has the same perspective on driving......"and then you're only 12 hours from Minot".

I miss the west! Especially during hunting season.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/24/12 07:24 PM
Scotty,
I gave up the odyssey at Dickinson ND when they wanted 150 bucks for a roach room in a fleapit, its the oil boom lifted the prices all over the north was the excuse I was given and me now unemployes again so it got me so pi**ed I lost it and just turned around and drove through the night back south, now I am in Valentine Neb turning in to motel 8 at 65 bucks = normal non scalping treatment,
my temper tsk tsk.
Martin
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 10/25/12 03:18 AM
Martin, sorry we missed you. The Oil Boom is both a blessing and a curse for sure.
Posted By: vikram Re: Ziegenhahn und Sohn - 02/12/13 04:43 PM
No Dak Scotty,

Congratulations on your wonderful gun.It looks gorgeous.I have been following/visiting Ziegenhahn website for ages now and your thread is probably the only one on the net that gives a very detailed information on this maker. Thank you for sharing.

Best-
Vikram
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com