doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Story "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 02:00 AM
Stumbled upon this website, posted over at gunboards.com

Figured you folks would find it of interest.

http://www.hermanngoeringshotgun.com/
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 02:40 AM
Goring (with the umlat over the o- which makes his surname sound like Goering)did cheat the hangman after the Nuremburg War Crimes Trials-- an American G-2 officer who was fluent in German was assigned to interview him, as he awaited his execution. Goering was a large framed man who put on considerable weight, even while the line troops of the Wehrmacht and even Waffen SS units were hard pressed for rations, especially after the crushing defeat at Stalingrad-- Goebbels, Himmler, Rommel- were all fairly trim and well fitted men in comparison.

Goering's estate was named Karinhall- a vast hunting preserve and he indeed did love to hunt and entertain their- and awarded the prized "Ritter kruze"-- Knight's Cross with various annenda of oak leaves, diamonds, etc- to his Ace Luftwaffe pilots--

If you want some accurate insight into Goering and his role as Reichmarshall and CO of the Luftwaffe, read the book "The Eagle Has landed"--Goering was petty and small minded from that account of him- which I believe to be somewhat true.

The rumor has it that Goering bribed the G-2 Officer to bring him a cyanide pill from his baggage stored out of his cell-hidden inside a bristle hair shaving brush with a false bottom apparently- and that in exchange for that, he gave the officer details as to where some of his treasure and personal belongings were secretly hidden. Goering did this to avoid death by the noose, as he feared his bulk and the drop would cause his head to be torn off his body in the process. He also said that only the firing squad was appropriate for soldiers and airmen who served their Country in combat--

Krieghoff did make some drillings as survival weapons for the Luftwaffe pilots- cased, 12 gauge with a metric rifled barrel underneath, double triggers and ejectors- it is possible that as Goering would have awarded that contract himself, Krieghoff may well have made him a shotgun at "no charge" in return for that bit of business-

But to document that shotgun as shown on that website as being one that belong to Herman Goering, just because of the initals HG-- there were/are many German males with the same initals I should guess- Hugo Glazer, Heinrich Glanyz, etc--

I would really want at least three older experts on German and Austrian guns from that 1940-1946 era to examine any weapon purported to have once belong to any of "Hitler's Henchmen"--
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 11:37 AM
RWTF,

Thanks for the book tip but are you certain of the title. Since Jack Higgins WW2 thriller by the same title, there have been a number of books by the same name relating to several subjects as diverse as The Eagles Pop Group to a book on Horseriding.

Have you a publishers or an authors name, or an ISBN number or any other infor?

Thanks,

Harry
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 12:24 PM
RWTF, you have a good knowledge about H.G. also that he was the absoluut "Jägermeister" in Nazi Germany.
If you want to know more about his hunting skills there are 2 books who give the most detailed info about his hunting grounds called "ROMINTEN" in the second book it is Walter Frevert,letster Forstmeister der Rominter heide, Ostpreussen who tell you the compleet story.Sorry the books are written in German
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3112297
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3112277
Marc.
Posted By: RHD45 Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 02:17 PM
Several years ago,Jackson Auction Company,a local auctioneer,sold a couple of shotguns that had supposedly been "liberated" from Goering's residence.I have the catalog but can't put my hands on it for details. They were a hammerless and a hammer gun as I remember with the usual engraving.Hermann would not have inspired much confidence in me as a leader with his badly out of shape physique and gaudy uniforms.Not to mention his drug addiction. I imagine that the german airmen didn't really feel free to criticize given the atmosphere in Germany at that time.He would have been a laughing stock at any other time and place.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: GETTEMANS
RWTF, you have a good knowledge about H.G. also that he was the absoluut "Jägermeister" in Nazi Germany.
If you want to know more about his hunting skills there are 2 books who give the most detailed info about his hunting grounds called "ROMINTEN" in the second book it is Walter Frevert,letster Forstmeister der Rominter heide, Ostpreussen who tell you the compleet story.Sorry the books are written in German
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3112297
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3112277
Marc.
--Obgleich ich das Deutsche spreche, das eing wenig besser ist, als ich text lesen kann, abhangig von Schriftart, kann ich jene Bucher aur H. Goering bestellen, das, Sie wo in Belgien tun Sie Phasen vorschlugen, wenn ich bitten kann? Danke sehr --der Fox
Posted By: Dave K Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 03:53 PM
There have been two gun as I recall at auctions (one from Juila I think years ago) that had a possible link to Goring,both had the Goring Family Crest (like many of his items)

http://www.germaniainternational.com/images/hgoringdessertfork02.jpg

I suspect he had lots of shotguns,and rifles !
I also bet there are ten times as many that are not his and presented as they where.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 04:12 PM
It is indeed the Jack Higgins book, made into a great movie starring Micheal Caine as Oberst Leutnent Steiner- a true soldier and a Fallschirmjaeger (paratrooper), with his father a ranking Wehrmacht General Oberst--Robert Duvall plays the Oberst in the Abwehr, who develops the plot to capture Churchill in Nov 1944 when he was planning a week-end retreat to the North Coastal area of England. Himmler approved this plan, thought with Winnie as hostage they could sue for peace and end the war they were losing daily by then--

Some of the idea for this came from the successful rescuse of Hitler's Henchman pal Benito Mussolini-in Septemeber of 1943- Mussolini was held prisoner in a Italian Alp area retreat, thought to be invincible from ground forces. Oberst Otto Skorzensky and his men did daring jump, overpowered the guards and rescused El Duce- Hitler personally decorated Otto with a Knights Cross with diamonds and oak leaves-

Donald Sutherland plays the IRA operative who works as a game keeper for the Abwehr on a marsh estate area where Sir Winston is due to visit- great plot, the last movie I believe directed by John Sturges--

The Luftwaffe comes into play a bit, and a Ace fighter pilot is chosen to fly the aircraft for Steiner's mission- He has been denied the Knights Cross, for Luftwaffe pilots this was usually presented by Goering personally at a weekend event- involving hunting and a lot of schnapps too- at Karinhall- This pilot was denied this prestigious award, as he made the mistake of telling Goering face to face that the British Supermarine Spitfire was a bit better at close quarters dogfighting, better turn and bank agility I heard that the ME 109 Series German fighter planes.

There may well be some truth to that, in the Pacific theatre our pilots and aviators learned that the fast Jap ZEKE- Zero fighter had one major weakness (besides no armor- like the famed Republic P47 Thunderbolt carried for example)- if a pilot could push a Zero in making a right bank turn, often the Zero would stall and be a 'sitting duck"-

The plot fails, but Steiner and his men were sentenced to a suicide torpedo team as punishment for an incident which shows to me that not all the Germans, civilians or military, were despots like Hitler, Himmler and Goering- Steiner, as a decorated Lt. Col. encounters a Waffen SS unit under command of a General, loading jewish civilians onto a train somewhere in Poland- a girl tries to escape and Steiner protects her, holds the SS General at bay with his Walther pistol- to save his men who stand with him in this brave action, from being shot by the superior number of SS forces, he surrenders- He is then later picked for this "suicide mission" and his General father is held prisoner by Himmler as 'insurance"

Great story- Jack Higgins is one of the best, and his research into this scenario is First Rate- see the 1976 movie "Der Adler ist gelandet" The Eagle has landed-- much better than the earlier 1968 movie with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton- "Wo Adleren sich traven"- Where Eagles dare-
Posted By: kuduae Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 07:26 PM
OMG, this is the sixth Hermann Göring gun in America brought to my attention during the last 3 years! One appears to have been fabricated by Göring's favorite gunmaker post-45, one had a presentation plate that clearly refers to another "HG", the rest are only engraved with the initials "HG" like this one. All were liberated by some American soldier somewhere in Germany in 1945. Now, it is sort of a "running gag" in movies and screenplays on the immediate post-war period , some witty German small boy selling stuff with happenchance initials like AH, HG, HH to a silly GI, swearing it certainly was the personal property of some NAZI great. A similar thing happened a few years ago when someone "found" the "diaries of Adolf Hitler". I guess from the number of "H.G."s listed in my local telephone directory, the total German population and the number of hunting licenses issued in 1938 there must have been about 2800 German hunters then named HG. Handwork, especially engraving, was cheap then. FI the ca1930 WUM export catalog lists a comparable sidelock o/u ejector at $ 405.-, highest quality engraving of a very similar pattern would have set you back additional $89.50.
Hermann Goering never had personal belongings signed with a mundane "HG"! Instead, all the things documented to him are engraved with his personal crest or coat of arms. This consists of an iron-clad arm holding a ring, topped with a winged helmet. Apparently Göring designed this crest to remember his WW1 days as a fighter pilot ace. His nickname then was "Der Eiserne" = The Iron One.

Here it is painted on the skull of a famous stag trophy he shot near Rominten, now in the Munich hunting museum.

Examples of his crest on guns may be seen in Jon Speed: Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles, page 268 on the floorplate of a Mauser actioned rifle, and in DWJ 11/2004, page 50 on the toplever of an o/u sl doublerifle.
IMHO all the guns without this crest, only signed "HG", never passed the hands of the then Reichsjägermeister!
Posted By: Geno Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 07:54 PM
Just another fake story.
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 08:34 PM
RWTF, I am surprised by your German knowledge. It is not sure that I am the "new" owner of these 2 books, it is of course an auction and it stops jan 13, but for the moment I am still the highest bidder. You can registred yourself if you want and bid self, I just check and they send international.
I think you better check first how much you need pay for the postage, it can be expensiv.
However, if you want more info,my E-Mail adress is in my profile.
Marc.
Posted By: bavarianbrit Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 09:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
It is indeed the Jack Higgins book, made into a great movie starring Micheal Caine as Oberst Leutnent Steiner- a true soldier and a Fallschirmjaeger (paratrooper), with his father a ranking Wehrmacht General Oberst--Robert Duvall plays the Oberst in the Abwehr, who develops the plot to capture Churchill in Nov 1944 when he was planning a week-end retreat to the North Coastal area of England. Himmler approved this plan, thought with Winnie as hostage they could sue for peace and end the war they were losing daily by then--

Some of the idea for this came from the successful rescuse of Hitler's Henchman pal Benito Mussolini-in Septemeber of 1943- Mussolini was held prisoner in a Italian Alp area retreat, thought to be invincible from ground forces. Oberst Otto Skorzensky and his men did daring jump, overpowered the guards and rescused El Duce- Hitler personally decorated Otto with a Knights Cross with diamonds and oak leaves-

Donald Sutherland plays the IRA operative who works as a game keeper for the Abwehr on a marsh estate area where Sir Winston is due to visit- great plot, the last movie I believe directed by John Sturges--

The Luftwaffe comes into play a bit, and a Ace fighter pilot is chosen to fly the aircraft for Steiner's mission- He has been denied the Knights Cross, for Luftwaffe pilots this was usually presented by Goering personally at a weekend event- involving hunting and a lot of schnapps too- at Karinhall- This pilot was denied this prestigious award, as he made the mistake of telling Goering face to face that the British Supermarine Spitfire was a bit better at close quarters dogfighting, better turn and bank agility I heard that the ME 109 Series German fighter planes.

There may well be some truth to that, in the Pacific theatre our pilots and aviators learned that the fast Jap ZEKE- Zero fighter had one major weakness (besides no armor- like the famed Republic P47 Thunderbolt carried for example)- if a pilot could push a Zero in making a right bank turn, often the Zero would stall and be a 'sitting duck"-

The plot fails, but Steiner and his men were sentenced to a suicide torpedo team as punishment for an incident which shows to me that not all the Germans, civilians or military, were despots like Hitler, Himmler and Goering- Steiner, as a decorated Lt. Col. encounters a Waffen SS unit under command of a General, loading jewish civilians onto a train somewhere in Poland- a girl tries to escape and Steiner protects her, holds the SS General at bay with his Walther pistol- to save his men who stand with him in this brave action, from being shot by the superior number of SS forces, he surrenders- He is then later picked for this "suicide mission" and his General father is held prisoner by Himmler as 'insurance"

Great story- Jack Higgins is one of the best, and his research into this scenario is First Rate- see the 1976 movie "Der Adler ist gelandet" The Eagle has landed-- much better than the earlier 1968 movie with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton- "Wo Adleren sich traven"- Where Eagles dare-

Ref:-
The plot fails, but Steiner and his men were sentenced to a suicide torpedo team as punishment for an incident which shows to me that not all the Germans, civilians or military, were despots like Hitler, Himmler and Goering- Steiner, as a decorated Lt. Col. encounters a Waffen SS unit under command of a General, loading jewish civilians onto a train somewhere in Poland- a girl tries to escape and Steiner protects her, holds the SS General at bay with his Walther pistol- to save his men who stand with him in this brave action, from being shot by the superior number of SS forces, he surrenders- He is then later picked for this "suicide mission" and his General father is held prisoner by Himmler as 'insurance".

Micheal Caine and the other paratroopers holed up in the Norfolk church at the end of the movie and a bunch of passing yanks (Rangers getting ready for D-Day) came to the villagers rescue and then Cain dies heroically in a shootout.
The Steiner mentioned in the eastern front was James Coburn in another film called "Steiner".
Just putting things right.
Martin
Posted By: kuduae Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 10:01 PM
Those stories and movies about the two Steiners are complete fiction! But yes, not all German soldiers were hardcore Nazis, and yes, there were Strafkompanien = penalty companies with a very low survival probability. Most German soldiers were simply soldiers who served their country, like soldiers of all other nations.
If you are interested in German language books about Göring, Frevert and Rominten, try www.jana-jagd.de
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 10:41 PM
Danke- Thanks to all who have responded and made this thread an interesting lesson in World History. I very much agree with the comment about most of the German soldiers- we hear about the atrocities of the SS and the Gestapo, and those actions overshadow that of the common "Deutche Soldat" who just wanted to be back home to: Mosel, Frankfort, Cologne or anywhere there was no more fighting and be reunited with his family, in the same manner in which the Allied soldiers wanted- This is also born out by the fact that about 4/100 Allied soldiers captured by the Wehrmacht and incarcerated in POW camps died in captivity, mainly from diseases and not mis-treatment at the hands of their captors. As far as the ratio of Allied prisoners at the hands of the Japanese, I have heard various numbers, anywhere from 60 up towards 84 percent did not survive- disease, starvation, the infamous Battan death march. I often wonder how it was that Hitler could make a pact with the Japs- with Mussolini, yes--and if he hadn't made the mistake of attacking Russia- who can say. Now Germany and Japan are our allies-history is indeed strange-

That being said, here's another story about "Zaftig Reichmarshall Goering"- probably an inner Nazi circle joke- Besides being grossly obese, Goering was a gaudy dresser, wearing all sorts of medals and sashes and always in a uniform that would have made Prof. Harold Hill of "The Music Man" envious- One night, in Berlin at the OperaHaus- the star male singer, also a large rotund man, came out dressed in the same manner as Goering favored- and a Wehrmacht General's wife turned to her husband and said: "Blick, liebes-- ist nicht diese Reichmarshall Goering in seinen Pyjamas auf dem Stadium heute Abend?"-- translated she said to her husband-- Look, dear- isn't that Goering in his pyjamas on the stage tonight?--

Goering was a braggart and fond of boasting-- he may have been a WW1 Ace like Udet and Baron Manfred Von Richtofen, but he was not a brilliant military strategist like FM Irwin Rommel or even "Smilin' Al"-- aka- FM Alfred Kesselring- The Battle of Britian was his to win- but instead of knocking out the British radar towers and then straffing and bombing their airfields, most likely to curry favor with Hitler, he moved to bomb London- the radar gave the Brits a "heads up" on the incoming German aircraft-- rest is history. But Goering was so cocky and confident he once openly said "If an Allied bomb should hit Berlin, you can call me Meyer"--
Posted By: kuduae Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/10/11 11:04 PM
Well, indeed HG was nicknamed "Herr Meyer" in the later stages of WW2, but only secretly. Another joke from the 1930s, when he was in charge of police and concentration camps: "Is it true: HG collects the jokes told about him?" - "Yes, he collects all the jokes, but he also collects the people who tell the jokes." At the same time the same joke was told about Stalin to, here the answer was:"No, he collects the people!"
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/11/11 04:13 AM
Kudane- you have "nailed this HG" shotgun myth" right dead in its tracks--I am 100% certain you are right about the Goering Crest that Hermann designed, and in spite of his huge ego, he was smart enough to know there were thousands of German males with the initials H.G. living during his involvement with the Third Reich. I did not know that he was that much involved with the actions of both the SA and later the SS, I knew he was close friends with Willie Messerschmidt, and was involved with Franco during the Spanish Civil War, where the fledgling Luftwaffe pilots became very proficient with the Stuka dive bombers--

The Germans have always prized the traditions of the Knights, and a lot of Richard Wagner's works evolved around the theme of Knighthood- so it no surprise to see the raised arm holding the ring (ring of the Valkeries?) also encased in a Knight's armor--

But as you detailed old "Fat Boy Hermann's" WW1 nickname, given perhaps by brother pilots in his Jagstaffel-- The iron One-makes me wonder what nicknames Udet, Immelmann and Von Richtofen had back then. In American history, only two famous men that I know of were given nicknames with the Iron theme- Lou Gehrig the famed NY Yankee first baseman was called "The Iron Man" as we all know-possibly less known but true is the nickname his troops gave Gen. Custer-he was known as "Old Iron Ass" because he could stay in the saddle longer than any other man, officer or not, in his command-at least until Little Big Horn--PS- my "bad" How could I be forgetting Baron Manfred Von R's moniker- The Red Baron- from his all red Fokker triplane- possibly his brother "Fliegers um Jagstaffel" had another name for him as well. Being a Baro and with a Von prefex suggests he already had a coat of arms family crest- interesting that Goering developed his later!
Posted By: kuduae Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/11/11 10:58 PM
The Germans have always prized the traditions of the Knights, and a lot of Richard Wagner's works evolved around the theme of Knighthood- so it no surprise to see the raised arm holding the ring (ring of the Valkeries?) also encased in a Knight's armor-

Not necessary, it's a so-called "speaking crest: An iron arm holding a ring -- HG's name is spoken Gö-ring in German! The Iron - ring - wings of a pilot...
If you want to know more about WW1 fighter "aces", here is a link: http://www.theaerodrome.com/services/germany/jg/index.php One of the lower aces of Jagdgeschwader 1, "Richthofen's Flying Circus", H.Maushake of JASTA4, with 6 "victories", was a friend and hunting buddy of my grandfather and told me some WW1 stories.
BTW, the sought after Luftwaffendrillinge were not made by Krieghoff, but Sauer & Sohn, Suhl!
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/12/11 12:37 AM
Danke, welches meinen Fruend fur den gut-genommenen Punkt der Korrektur in der Tat das Aufspiessen mit dem unlat unber dem Buchstabe O-- einem Hauptgewicht aud dem Wortring zeigen wurde. Sie sind auch, nien Heinrich Krieghoff in Ulm, aber in der Tat Simpson und Sohn in Suhl-- Zu bleiben bildeten!! Der Fox--
Posted By: kuduae Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/12/11 08:27 PM
But as you detailed old "Fat Boy Hermann's" WW1 nickname, given perhaps by brother pilots in his Jagstaffel-- The iron One-makes me wonder what nicknames Udet, Immelmann and Von Richtofen had back then. In American history, only two famous men that I know of were given nicknames with the Iron theme-

You ovelooked at least one American, namely the "Ace of Aces", the most sucessful American pilot of WW1 with 26 victories, "Iron Man Eddie" Rickenbacker!
And, Josef Wissarionowich Djugachvili became known as Josef Stalin, the "Man of Steel".
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/12/11 09:44 PM
Thanks- I didn't know that- his squadron was the famed "Hat In The Ring" and they flew the French Spad fighter- but Ironman- 26 kills, back before armor and parachutes- a well earned title indeed--
Posted By: kuduae Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/12/11 10:27 PM
Just to put it in perspective, on the list of WW1 "Aces" of all nations Rickenbacker ranks at # 106 with 26 kills. The top aces were:
1. German Manfred v.Richthofen, the "Red Baron",80 victories.
(the little brother Lothar v.R. ranks #40 with 40 kills)
2. French Fonck, 75 victories
3. Canadian Bishop, 72
4. German Udet, 62
All these men started earlier in the 1914-18 war and for most of their time flew much less developed planes with weak, castor-oil-spitting rotary engines, that were prone to disassemble themselves at the slightest mistake of the pilot.
But this thread is now wandering off from the "Goering" gun topic.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/16/11 11:43 PM
Facinating,thank you all. I believe Goring had a JaegerHaus near Grafenwoehr also.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts...absolutely
Posted By: colin.kendall Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/25/11 06:41 PM
He was known as Der Gross Hermann and Der Dicke. He got hooked on drugs in the 20s and by the time he surrendered to the Americans he was a walking depository of paracodeine. He definitely believed in living the good life. Prime example was Karinhall, where he loved to hunt. When he surrendered to the Americans, the pistol he turned in was a Smith & Wesson MP 38 revolver. Seems rather strange. When he was in the custody of the prison at Nuremburg, he was weaned off of the pills and lost a considerable amount of weight. Justice Robert jackson, who was the chief U.S. prosecutor, found out that Goering had a sharp mind. Goering had no intentions of hanging. He believed it was not the honorable way to die. There have been allegations that an American officer from Texas was the one who got him the cyanide capsule, that he ended his own life with. The picture that was taken off him after he poisoned himself was with one eye open in his pajamas. All of the bodies, including his, were loaded on a truck, and taken under armed guard to a concentration camp where the ovens had been fired up. Their bodies were cremated and their ashes were dumped in a river, so any diehard Nazis could not have anything to cherish.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/28/11 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: colin.kendall
He was known as Der Gross Hermann and Der Dicke. He got hooked on drugs in the 20s and by the time he surrendered to the Americans he was a walking depository of paracodeine. He definitely believed in living the good life. Prime example was Karinhall, where he loved to hunt. When he surrendered to the Americans, the pistol he turned in was a Smith & Wesson MP 38 revolver. Seems rather strange. When he was in the custody of the prison at Nuremburg, he was weaned off of the pills and lost a considerable amount of weight. Justice Robert jackson, who was the chief U.S. prosecutor, found out that Goering had a sharp mind. Goering had no intentions of hanging. He believed it was not the honorable way to die. There have been allegations that an American officer from Texas was the one who got him the cyanide capsule, that he ended his own life with. The picture that was taken off him after he poisoned himself was with one eye open in his pajamas. All of the bodies, including his, were loaded on a truck, and taken under armed guard to a concentration camp where the ovens had been fired up. Their bodies were cremated and their ashes were dumped in a river, so any diehard Nazis could not have anything to cherish.
--Pretty much jibes with the info I have on "Fat Boy Goering"--I didn't know about the S&W .38 however- I believe it is true- and American G-2 Officer ( 03 perhaps) from Tx who was fluent in Deutsch was assigned to interview HG, and may have accepted a bribe to get him the cyanide tablet that helped him cheat the noose- I didn't know about the disposal of the dead Nazis post hanging- but makes sense-All you need do is read The ODESSA file carefully and you'll realize that criminals like Goering, Himmler and of course Hitler had so mesmerized the German people that their evil influence could reach out from the grave--
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/28/11 02:24 PM
Herman Goerings Morphine drug addiction came about, not from the recreational use of such a substance, but was prescribed by doctors to kill the pain of a bullet wound in the groin that he received when flying a fighter aircraft in WW1.

Oddly one of his favourite recreations was playing with a vast model railway which occupied almost an entire room in Karinhall, his hunting lodge. This building was comletely destroyed by the Russian Army in 1945.

Harry
Posted By: Dave K Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/28/11 02:50 PM
That S& W is the West Point Military Museum.
(number 16 and 20)
http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/W...eringsBaton.htm

There is a film of Goring handing that over,you can see the smile turn to a frown when he realizes its over.
Posted By: No Dak Scotty Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/28/11 09:08 PM
Goring was shot in the groin by German Police at the Munich Beir Hall Putsch in 1923. The drug addiction stemmed from that injury. Goring ordered Karinhall destroyed by Luftwaffe bomb handlers, who filled the haus with bombs and set them off before the Russians got to it.
Posted By: Dave K Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/28/11 09:21 PM
They must not have done a great job destroying Karinhall or maybe he took it with him in those trucks of paintings,the guest book is at the Museum as well,solid silver.Signed buy Hitler,Mussiolini,Lindburgh,and even Hoover.
It was captured by the 101

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/W...llGuestbook.htm
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/29/11 10:16 PM
I'm gonna take a real wild-assed guess here about the .38 M&P that Hermann Goering apparently had when he was caught bu the Allies- After his "Fubar" with the Luftwaffe superiority became a joke-- "Call me Meyer-"-- he may have seen the end of the Third Reich and put out a quiet word that he would pay a premium to any Luftwaffe Pilot that brought him a .38 revolver and ammo taken from a captured Allied pilot-- "for his collection", when his drug addled brain may have suggested to him- that the SS had maybe removed or shortened the firing pin on his Walther in secret--

Part of the same paranoia that affect Napoleon Bonaparte also affected Hitler- any as the Russians were closing in on Berlin, both Goering and Himmler tried to escape undetected-- only Goebbels and his wife and children remained to die with Adolph and Eva in the bunker in Berlin-- sort of a Teutonic play on the old "rats deserting the sinking ship" scenario.

This is just conjecture, not based on fact--
Posted By: Dave K Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/29/11 10:34 PM
Nope,
Goring purchased it from a shop in Hamburg before WWII,he had a lot of guns.
Like I said in a earlier post, I never saw a sporting one at auction(3 shotguns that I can recall) without his family crest,this S&W does not of course.I do recall a pistol that was his wifes getting auctioned off by James Julia and few years ago that did have it thou.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/30/11 12:11 AM
[quote=Dave K]Nope,
Goring purchased it from a shop in Hamburg before WWII,he had a lot of guns.
Like I said in a earlier post, I never saw a sporting one at auction(3 shotguns that I can recall) without his family crest,this S&W does not of course.I do recall a pistol that was his wifes getting auctioned off by James Julia and few years ago that did have it thou. [/quote-- Thanks- good info. What was his wife's gun that Julia's sold?
Posted By: Dave K Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/30/11 12:46 AM
I will try and find the pics Fox,here is his,or one of his double rifle drillings;
http://www.juliaauctions.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=39842&sale=288

Posted By: montenegrin Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/30/11 12:53 AM
Göring's S&W .38 Spec. is serial number 642357 and was shipped on May 29, 1934 to "Peters Arms Co." of Hamburg. I saw the revolver in the early 1970s when visiting the West Point as a young man.

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: Dave K Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/30/11 01:10 AM
Here ya go RWTF,
it was a Walther PPK ,of course !It was a gift,again of course !on her,Emmy's wedding day,and it does indeed have the Goring family crest.Of course Herman got what he deserved,but Emmy may well have received more then she deserved.

http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=39837&sale=288

Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/31/11 03:57 AM
Danke-- what a fine PPK (Polezi Pistole Kurz!! I wonder what the hammerdown price was on this, and what if any provenance came with it. Beautiful scroll work engraving, fine grips. I know the heavier Luger pistols have the big $ collector interest, but I think the pre-War Walthers were the best ever made- easier to shoot, better trigger pulls, well balanced- Thanks for posting this foto!!
Posted By: Dave K Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 01/31/11 01:41 PM
That's a early one,with the 90 degree safety and no loaded indicator.I have one (not engraved) like it,holster and two mags right from the GI who brought it back.

Looked back that Walther sold for $17825.00 at JJ's.
Posted By: Richard Saloom Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 02/01/11 06:59 PM

Part of the same paranoia that affect Napoleon Bonaparte also affected Hitler- any as the Russians were closing in on Berlin, both Rommel and Himmler tried to escape undetected-- only Goebbels and his wife and children remained to die with Adolph and Eva in the bunker in Berlin-- sort of a Teutonic play on the old "rats deserting the sinking ship" scenario.

You need to read up a bit on Rommel.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 02/01/11 09:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Richard Saloom

Part of the same paranoia that affect Napoleon Bonaparte also affected Hitler- any as the Russians were closing in on Berlin, both Rommel and Himmler tried to escape undetected-- only Goebbels and his wife and children remained to die with Adolph and Eva in the bunker in Berlin-- sort of a Teutonic play on the old "rats deserting the sinking ship" scenario.

You need to read up a bit on Rommel.
-- Hallo- Eine augen auf der adler herin- You are most correct sir- it was an error on my part, and I meant to write Goering and Himmler- FM Irwin Rommel chose to commit suicide rather than face a trail after the July attempt 1944 on Hitler & co. at Die Wolfschantz-- by doing this he was granted a State funeral and his wife and son Manfred Rommel were spared-

Manfred Rommel is often seen doing commentaries on the History channel when the topic is the third Reich-- I won a subscription to a WW11 history magazine (I was born in 1940) re: the great 1970 movie Patton- where Gen. Patton said "Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book" The book- Der Panzeren in Kreig- was written by Rommel's mentor- in 1933 Gen. Oberst (Colonel General) Hans Guiderian--Patton got his insight into tanks in WW1, and before that, mobilized warfare via Ford Model T's in Mexico after bandito Pancho Villa- Ole!!!
Posted By: George L. Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 02/02/11 03:04 AM
RWTF: My Dad chased Pancho back and forth across the Rio Grande on horseback as an 18 year old with the 11th. Cavalry. He told me about the Model T's, Hupmobiles & Stanley Steamers that they employed as well. I have pictures and his spurs. In the 20's he sold Packards, Auburn, Cord & Duesenbergs.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: Geno Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 02/02/11 10:50 AM
For God sake stop these silly talks!
Posted By: Dave K Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 02/02/11 01:30 PM
?
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 02/03/11 04:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Geno
For God sake stop these silly talks!
What's so silly about History- and trying to learn more, even from tyrants like Pancho Villa- his men did unspeakable atrocities against the civilians at Ft. Bliss=--And Woody Wilson finally had enough-so he order Gen. Pershing to capture- dead or alive, Pancho Villa and his banditos band--

George- great history- as my late great-uncle Francis Lucas Adams was also a First Lt. in the 11th- and along with Patton, went in to seek Pancho and his bad news bandits-- As Commissioned Officers purchased their own sword, sidearm and dress uniforms, I inherited his issue flap holster and he carried a 1878 Colt .45 Peacemaker-and used it too- he was promoted to Captain in 1917, re-assigned to the Rainbow Div. lead by Gen. Pershing--saw heavy action in WW1- I also have his 1911 .45 Colt and holster, Sam Browne belt and Oak leaves- he returned with two Lugers and a Kraut sawtoothed bayonet from captured German soldiers- the Lugers from Offizeren-- they had standing orders to shoot any German caught with a sawtooth bayonet on his Mauser-and they did-

Back to Goering-- at the early onset of WW11 in Europe- and after all the practice his Luftwaffe had in Spain with their Stukas assisting Franco- Germany could have dominated the entire air ops. in all of Europe-- due to many erros, mainly caused by supreme egos getting in their way, both Hitler and Goering failed- or else we would be eating sauerkraut "schiesse-kuchen" on a regular and steady basis-- Prosit!!
Posted By: cheapskate Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 02/09/11 04:43 PM
The "HG" stands for Halbe & Gerlich, who made the gun. These are the same guys who produced Halger rifles and cartridges.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 02/15/11 04:28 PM
I'd be asshamed to own a gun actually owned Goring anyway.
Posted By: Dave K Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 02/16/11 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I'd be asshamed to own a gun actually owned Goring anyway.

You would think many would feel that way,but where to draw the line ?

Ever take Bayer Aspirin ?
They ran a concentration camp;
http://www.ahrp.org/infomail/05/01/27a.php

"About Bayer�s Nazi-past

"IG Farben was the only German company in the Third Reich that ran its own concentration camp. At least 30.000 slave workers died in this camp; a lot more were deported to the gas chambers. It was no coincidence that IG Farben built their giant new plant in Auschwitz, since the workforce they used (altogether about 300.000 people) was practically for free. The Zyklon B gas, which killed millions of Jews, Gypsies and other people was produced by IG Farben�s subsidiary company Degesch"

Own a gun with Krupp barrels? they where no angels either !

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007081

To each his own,there are many who would not buy a gun made in Japan.
I would not too pay much of a premium for one but would not turn down or overlook a nice gun-like that drilling,because it belonged to Goring.To me,the gun is not at fault for the owners crimes.
There where bidders lined up for Madoff's loot too didn't seem to hurt the bidding.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: "Hermann Goering's Shotgun" - 03/23/11 04:13 PM
I belong to both the German Gun Collectors and now the Swiss Rifles gruppen. I would love to own any gun with provenance to Hitler, Goering, Himmler, and especially Die Wiestul Fuchs- FM Irwin Rommel. Any gun, whether is a beat-up K98 Mauser, a Colt 1911-A-1 Officer's series, or a drilling- interests me, and the gun is an inanimate object. Read Albert Speer's great book about the House of Krupp in Essen- and yes, IG Farben, Bayer, Siemens were all involved in Hitler's "final solution" nightmare- so were the Swedes (indirectly, in spite of Red Cross Raoul Walhberg) with their high grade chromium ore, Norway with the access to the North Sea for the Kreigsmarine Untersee Boaten and the so-called "neutral" Swiss, whose bankers helped fund the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

History will always been an on-going study- the course of modern Europe today was set from May 1945 and the Russian Cold War--today Germany is a strong ally, and Russia is still a threat, albiet through their "Towel-headed middlemen" Taliban, whom they have financed and tacitly supported for many years. When old fat Nikita K. said "We will bury you to the USA, he didn't mean that the Russkis would be carrying the shovels and picks--

And the I.G. Farben Zyglon-B is/was prussic acid, extremely deadly in closed quarters with no ventilation. And not all Americans opposed Hitler, especially before Dec 1941- Charles Lindberg was a favored guest of Hermann Goering, and the US industrialist and rabid anti-Semite, Henry Ford was working with Fokker on their triplane transport aircraft, supplying engines and technical advice. I doubt if "Hank da first" knew of Hitler and Himmler's diabolical plan to wipe out the Jewish population in Europe, but my guess, is he had known that, it would not have bothered him at all.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com