doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: knees Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 02:35 AM
I posted this question on the general discussion, but it was suggested I post to this section too.

My Dad has given me 2 12 ga. Merkel Suhl shotguns (and O/U & SxS). I know nothing about them except that they are fine shotguns in excellent condition. What would be a 'ballpark' value for these so I can add them to my insurance? I can't seem to find a model number on either gun--completely taken both apart and looked everywhere? Where are the model numbers located? This is all that I can find on them (besides their serial numbers, which are easily identified):
O/U: #81902 : 12 Special Laufstahl Weichlot
SxS: #412481 : 0454 - Spezial Gewehrlaufstahl

Here is a link to the original website posting with detailed pictures:
Gun Pictures
Posted By: knees Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 02:36 AM
Here are some barrel pic's. Not sure if this helps or not?

SxS:

O/U:

I beleive the O/U is a Model 203 E with a proof date of Feb 1972 & the SxS is a 447 SL with a proof date of Nov 1981. You will not find any model numbers that I am aware of on postwar Merkels.

The best way to get an idea of retail price is to look at the asking price for comperable guns for sale on web sites such as gunsinternational.
Posted By: knees Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 11:23 AM
Thanks. I must say this is odd. I know zero about Merkel's other than they're fine shotguns. Everyone seems to think the O/U is a model 203E, however I've been told the SxS is possibly 3 different models, 447 SL being most probable. I've tried contact Merkel-USA in the past and given them the serial numbers, but with no success.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 11:52 AM
The February 1972 proofed one is a 1st quality and utilizes the Merkel patented Weichlot method of joining the tubes. I assume it has ejectors?

The November 1991 proofed Geco stampted SxS with H&H style locks and pipe style side frame reforcement is a Model 60E and I assume that was under unification of Germay. Is the tubeset length 68cm or 71cm? I'm sure you can get a copy of the ledger from Merkel to supply you with info.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Sorry, I made a mistake. The O/U is a 201 E. I was thinking 201 E but wrote 203E. The 203 E is a sidelock O/U.

The SxS is exactly the same as a 447SL shown in a 2003 Merkel catalog described as a 47 SL series with small English-Style arabesque scroll. Yours is the same right down to the bbl wedge engraving.
Posted By: knees Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 05:02 PM
Yes, it has ejectors. How would I determine the tubeset length on the SxS?

EDIT: I did a little searching & my SxS has an English stock. so would it be a 61E instead of 60E?
Posted By: knees Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 05:18 PM
Ok, so it's either a 61E or a 447SL. I sent another request to Merkel-USA, hopefully I can get some further information on it.
I really appreciate all the help on here!
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 05:27 PM
Measure from the breech to the muzzle end; dimensions in inches are fine. I think I would contact Merkel in Germany directly. Jani might have some insight into the protocol. Is the proof date on the SxS an "1181" 1981 or "1191" 1991? There's also a lot of serial numbers between the 2 examples. Are both stamped Gebrüder Merkel? Also I thought that 447 series had the Model stamped either on the upper rib or triggerguard bow. Do you have an image of the steel types? The SxS have the Russian IZH 50A steel. Also I would search for a period Merkel catalogue. With the GECO(Gustav Genschow) stamp, I wonder what part that concern, or Dynamit Nobel Troisdorf, played?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 05:31 PM

Weichlot Patent info.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: knees Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 05:39 PM
On the SxS, it measures 27 15/16". The date stamp is 1191. There is nothing stamped on the upper rib nor the trigger guard. Where could I find the steel type?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 06:16 PM
It would be the 71cm variant. The tube steel type stamps are typically on top & between the flats & forend hanger on the underside.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 10:39 PM
Ah, I found it. Gustav Genschow(Geco) since 2005 has been: RUAG Ammotec Austria - http://www.genschow.com/

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: knees Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 03/14/12 10:45 PM
Under the forend hanger is a "3", then about 3/4" spacing with numbers "0454", followed by another 3/4" spacing & an "E".
In my judgement, the O/U model 201 E is perhaps in the $2,500 range, depending on a good detailed description for condition. The SxS is a good bit more, perhaps in the $4,500 range, also subject to refinement in price for condition. Both would bring more if small bores rather than 12 gauge. Lots of 201's on the market, fewer of the SxS better grades.
Almost as good as being on the Antiques Road Show, ain't it?
Posted By: knees Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 04/11/12 12:57 PM
My Dad found the hard case that had a certificate from Merkel showing the model of the gun and some particulars.

[img]http://www.americanlandco.net/Merkel-shotgun/case[/img]

[img]http://www.americanlandco.net/Merkel-shotgun/certpage1[/img]

[img]http://www.americanlandco.net/Merkel-shotgun/certpage2[/img]
Looks ANIB I would expect a premium price.
Posted By: knees Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 05/07/12 06:14 PM
How do I find the choke on the O/U? The pictures on the 1st page of this post show all of the barrel markings that I can find.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Pair of Merkels--need a ballpark value - 05/07/12 07:15 PM
How 'bout that Brittany Man got the model. On the choke, shoot it and count the holes. True choke is tied to the shot size.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Re. choke marking on the Merkel 201 E. They may not be marked but if they are they will be marked on the face of the ejector. Earlier guns that I have owned & handled were not marked but I have a 7/92 proofed 203 E that is marked. I'm not exactly sure when they started marking them. The choke will be specified in the certificate provided with the gun(like you show for the 447S)as well as pattern % with a specified shot charge weight & shot size. Choke will be expressed as a fraction ie. 1/1 (full) 1/2 (half) 1/4) (quarter)
except for (improved cylinder) which is marked vz.

BTW, as I'm sure you know the 447S is marked 1/2 & 1/1 on the bbl flats. Full & half choke.

Failing either of the above take it to someone who has a bore micrometer & measure the bore & choke. Bore dia.- choke dia. = constriction. Roughly .040" constriction = full, .020" = half, .010 = quarter, & < .010 = vz or IC.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com