doublegunshop.com - home
Does anyone know of a place to get parts for German Guild Combination guns? Thanks, Malvin
Parts are about as likely to be made from scratch. Find someone qualified to do that...Steve
Depends on which parts you're talking about. But, in any event, I'd assume a gunsmith making something from scratch (or near scratch) and take anything less than that as an unanticipated bonus.
New England Custom Guns replaced the fore-end including the iron on one of my Greifelt drillings, and all of the screws which some idiot had lost from my JP Sauer und Sohn pre-War Anson-Kerner 12 gauge side-by-side. I would at least let them look at your gun and give you an estimate.

Incidentally, the 6.5X52R (.25-35 Winchester) should make a hell of a deer cartridge.

Can you post pictures of your combination gun?
Half of the forearm wood is missing. All forearm iron is there and the forearm still fastens tightly to the barrels. Thanks, Malvin
Malvin,
Your description brings up the possibility that the forearm may be one of the "3 piece"types.Are there threaded holes in the ribs,by which wooden pieces can be attached to the barrels?This type forearm allows the same forearm "iron" to be used on different barrel sets( dbl shotgun/dbl rifle/combo)with panels attached to the barrels, to finish it out. It would be very helpful to have photos.
Mike
Wood is easy, compared to metal.
There are no holes in the rib. Malvin
Malvin,
It's not a 3 part forearm then-too bad, that would have been easier.
Mike
Malvin has supplied these photos:

[img]http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee504/xausa/BBF010jpg.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee504/xausa/BBF011jpg.jpg[/img]

He will have to supply the captions.
Malvin,
It is clearly broken,not 3 part. The marks show it was proofed for shot(S),is choked (W),and was given a view proof(U)which is a close inspection. The chamber is 16ga,65mm and the barrel is 16 ga ahead of the chamber. The rifle proofs are not clear, but it has already been IDed as 6.5x52R aka 25-35 Winchester.
Mike
I suspect that forend could be duplicated off the broken half relatively easily by someone with good skills and a good duplicator, and then the fitting and inletting done. It'll cost, but with the irons in hand it's not nearly as bad as, say, an entirely missing forend.
Does choked W mean full choke? I appreciate all the responses I am getting. Thanks Malvin
Malvin,
It just means it is choked,but as a general rule they are very "tight" and some use spreader loads or open up the choke.I just showed (W)above to indicate which mark showed it was choked,not the degree of choke.
Mike
"W" stands for "Würgebohrung", which means "choke". In the case of a side by side double shotgun, the right barrel, which is controlled by the front trigger as a rule, is more open, the left barrel tighter. In the case of a 16 gauge barrel, the minimum bore measurement at the muzzle 16.80mm, the maximum 17.20 mm.

Determining the degree of choke cannot reliably be determined by measuring the bore. The only reliable method involves shooting the gun at a patterning board and counting the shot inside a 30" circle from various ranges.

A full choke should put the entire shot pattern inside the 30" circle at 30 yards, A 1/2, or modified choke should place 83% of the shot in the circle and an improved cylinder should achieve 72%. A one ounce charge of number 8 shot contains 450 pellets.
I am having a forearm made and it will be ready by the end of this month. I will post pictures. Malvin
Xausa,
I'm glad you said it, I cringe whenever others start arguing about choke constriction.Also choke may change with change of load.
Mike
The forearm is finished and I will post pictures soon. Happy New Year
Were there any odd marks other than the German ones? The frame looks to be an Austrian sourced one? What marks were on the frame?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
That shouldn't be too tough. Somebody like the stock doctor or someone that stock double barrel shotguns should be able to fix or replace that. You have enough remaining wood to be able to match the original, you might even have enough wood for a piece to be added and the crack repaired depending on whether you want it restored or nicely use able.

Sorry about the late post my computer didn't show a second page, I was surprised when I came back to see a second page and all is taken care of already. Enjoy that combo, they are fun to hunt with. Great coyote rig also.

Malvin has supplied these photos:

skeettx,
Are these the correct photos? I thought the forearm had been repaired.
Mike
I just took the ones from above that were not shown in his link because too many were posted and put them on
I have no knowledge of what is now what
He said he would post pictures soon (12/28/14) of the repaired forearm and these should provide a same page contrast of old and new
Mike
I was confused, because he said on 12-28-14 that it had been repaired.
Mike
I thought the forearm was finished when I posted on 12-28-14. I apologize because I found out since then that the forearm will not be ready for three or four months. I will post pictures when I get it back. I appreciate all comments and advice I have received. I am glad to be a part of this forum.

Another question about this gun. What is the purpose of the tiny screw protruding from the front trigger? Thanks
Adjustment for single set trigger or French stecher.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Malvin,
As Raimey said, the screw is an adjustment screw for the set trigger.It does not affect the normal(unset)trigger pull.Often,people trying to adjust the normal pull with this screw, make it not "hold" in the set mode(ie won't "set").They are sometimes unscrewed enough they are lost. To "set" the trigger, push it forward until it "clicks", then it has a very light "pull".
Mike
I have never tried to loosen or tighten this screw. When I cock the hammer for the 6.5 rifle barrel and push forward on the front trigger it will not(set). It will move forward slightly but will not set. Should I turn the screw or just leave it as is?
Malvin,
Turn it, a little at a time, until you figure it out.You will be much better satisfied if you can make it work. If you can't, take it to a gunsmith.
Mike
I backed out the screw a couple of turns and the set trigger works just fine. Very much of a hair trigger when set. Should contribute to accuracy. Thanks
Finally got the forearm for my German Combo Gun and I think it turned out great! Thanks for all the responses and again I am glad to be a part of this forum. Malvin [img][IMG]http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/Malvin2/IMG_0766.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/Malvin2/IMG_0763.jpg[/img][/img]
Malvin,
Would you mind telling us who made the forearm ? It might help other members and result in some business for your friend. If he is not already a member, he might like to join the GGCA.
Mike
His name is Ron Neely and his business is called Genesis Stockworks in Martin TN.

nice match on the color!
Nicely done.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com