doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KWD Who made this drilling? - 09/15/15 01:25 AM
I bought a drilling several years ago, it is in 20 ga and a very small rifle caliber 6.5 mm, it is german I believe with crown N proofing, the barrels and frame have gold outlining and if I am figuring the letters correctly there is a h b intertwined on the top lever.
I do not know how to post pictures. It is missing its forend and am hoping to find some one that works on these type of guns to see if it is worth getting back into shooting condition.
Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Who made this drilling? - 09/15/15 01:38 AM
Forward the images to me & I'll gladly post them for you.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: KWD Re: Who made this drilling? - 09/15/15 01:56 AM
Thanks Raimey I sent you 7 photos
Posted By: ellenbr Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/15/15 08:00 PM

Waffen Honold in Ulm???

3 Ringe Stahl

Some Blitz/Triggerplate Action

6./6. RUMAEN

Eagle Crown over G
Eagle
Crown over U
6.2m/m

ZM(intertwined)

Sourced from the Zella-Mehlis mechanics & experienced proof in August of 1912.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: KWD Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/15/15 09:32 PM
Raimey,
Thank you for posting the pictures and the manufacturers info. Now who can make a complete forend?
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/15/15 09:40 PM
The Gunmaker (or trader) was Georg Hunold from Ulm. Look here my posting:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post324303

Kind Regards,
Gunwolf
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/15/15 09:59 PM
Raimey, "RUMAEN." is the shortcut of "Rumaenisch". This is german and means "of Romania". It means the caliber, which is '6,5x53R Rumänisch'.Look here:

https://www.waffengebraucht.at/node/253286

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
Posted By: KWD Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/15/15 10:04 PM
Gunwolf,
Thanks it looks like I have some reading to do.
Ken
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/15/15 10:06 PM
The gun in Gunwolf's link was ordered by Herr Hunold from Merkel, but this one is not a Merkel, as it was made in ZM. Merkel forearm iron is not likely to fit.
Mike
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/15/15 10:11 PM
Mike, of course you are right.I only wanted to point to Georg Hunold!!!

Kind Regards,
Gunwolf
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/16/15 12:09 AM
So it is Georg Honold or Georg Hunold? I don't think the 2nd character is a U but an O? But I have not re-read the thread.

Ford, have you musings that it was rechambered?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/16/15 12:51 AM
Büchsenmacher Georg Honold, Hafengaßse 7, Ulm & the torch was passed sometime prior to 1928 to Vinzenz Huber.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/16/15 02:36 PM
Gunwolf,
I understood your intention, I just wanted to be sure no one thought all Hunold's were made by Merkel. BTW, with regard to the caliber being 6.5x53 R Romanien, the original caliber is clearly marked 6,2x48 which would be the 6.5x48R S&S cartridge. I understand your point, but I couldn't see a crown R proofmark. This would have been required for a properly proofed rechamber job, in my understanding. Aside from the fact that I'm opposed to most drilling rechamberings, this one may be especially troubling. The 6.5x48R is sometimes found with barrels smaller than the military 6.5 cartridges, sometimes as small as .260" groove diameter. Depending on neck/throat dimensions, this could be a dangerous condition, and could have led to damaging the forearm (not as likely as other causes).The bore diameter being shown as 6,2mm supports this. "What's done is done" and the drilling is likely still useable, as long as proper sized bullets are used. Handloads for 6.5x48R S&S (as well as 6.5x58R S&S)often use .257" bullets. Sometimes standard .265" 6.5mm bullets are sized to .260-.262"( depending on groove diameter) and used (best solution).
Mike
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/16/15 04:13 PM
Mike, I don`t know enough about calibers and had a look at

http://www.municion.org

an excellent site, I think. There I found the 6,5x53R as well as the 6,5x48 S&S
(and all their other names)
For me the hulls look quite different, so it should be possible, to clear this.

Gunwolf
Posted By: KWD Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/16/15 04:37 PM
The cartridges that came with the gun fit the chamber and also looking thru cartridges of the world it appears they are 6.5x53Rmm Mannlicher (Dutch
& Romanian)
Ken
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/16/15 09:31 PM
KWD,
I could tell from the photo that the cartridges were the 6.5x53R(sometimes shown as 6.5x54R), while the original chamber was 6.5x48R, which caused my concern. It was either rechambered or rebored and rechambered. You should be able to tell by slugging the barrel, which will tell you which diameter bullet to use. The maximum pressure for the 6,5x53R was listed as 2800 bar (in 1989-CUP?).I couldn't find the pressure limit for 6.5x48R S&S, but it would have been between 1500 (8.15x46R) and 1800 (8x48R S&S). It may even have been as low as 1200 bar, however. Since I couldn't see reproof marks, I would be very conservative with handloads.
Gunwolf,
I also use that site and find it very helpful, but I wish it was in German or English instead of Spanish. The Bing translations give very weird results.
Mike
Posted By: oskar Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/17/15 06:19 PM
Be sure to slug the bore, my 6.5x58R Sauer has a .260 bore. C&H4D had a .260 bullet sizer die in stock, even my reloading dies were in stock and half the price of a set from anyone else. My .260 barrel shoots .257 bullets very well, sub MOA bu5 as this email s my coyote gun I want to take no chances of try ng the barrel and shoot .264's sized to .260.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/17/15 09:48 PM
oskar,
I remember your "coyote" gun, see my comment above. Deer season is coming up, 6.5x58R will kill one too, good luck.
Mike
Posted By: KWD Re: Waffen Honold in Ulm - 09/17/15 10:38 PM
I appreciate all the info I will not even think of shooting this gun until I get a forend for it. I definately will check the bore size before loading her up.
Ken
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com