doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Larry21556 JJ Reeb Ejector Drilling - 02/01/18 11:12 PM
Thought I would share my most recent find; a J. J. Reeb (Bonn) drilling with factory ejectors. I had never even heard of such a thing. 16x16x 8X57R(360). Produced near turn of the last century but no date of manufacture shown just "BUG" and "BUW" Suhl proofs. I think the Belgian patent inscribed on it is for the ejectors but I havent been able to confirm anything. Beautifully engraved with gold inlays on the shot selector and safety button. I hope the images work. I need to relearn the process after the Photobucket fiasco.

https://imgur.com/a/storF
Posted By: Der Ami Re: JJ Reeb Ejector Drilling - 02/01/18 11:49 PM
Larry,
Ejector drillings are pretty rare, but not completely unknown. That is a good find. Please don't let anyone talk you into rechambering it to 8x57IR. The 8x57R/360 is a 32 Win.Special class cartridge and is sufficient for our Whitetails.
Mike
Posted By: SKB Re: JJ Reeb Ejector Drilling - 02/01/18 11:50 PM
I have two Reeb guns through my shop, one J. Reeb and one JJ Reeb. Both were of exceptional quality. Yours is a very attractive gun. Enjoy it in good health.
Steve
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: JJ Reeb Ejector Drilling - 02/02/18 12:00 AM
No rechambering contemplated. It came with cases formed from 9.3x72 cases, dies and loading info.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: JJ Reeb Ejector Drilling - 02/02/18 03:28 AM
Nice, lovely find. DRP Nr. 101949 was that of Johann Jacob Reeb in Bonn a. Rh. for a Patronenauswerfer für Kipplaufgewehre with protection granted on March 20th, 1899. So that with the proofmarks would bound it to 1899-1912. J.J. Reeb was actually a maker & not a mere firearms merchant. This was Johann Jacob Reeb's brain-child of an ejector mechanism that he himself devised & filed for protection. Very unique find.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: sharps4590 Re: JJ Reeb Ejector Drilling - 02/02/18 11:47 AM
Lovely drilling in a cartridge that is a lot of fun to work with.
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: JJ Reeb Ejector Drilling - 02/02/18 05:05 PM
Looked a bit more carefully at the barrels this morning and find they are marked "Selbstspanner - Dreilauf" I think this means self cocking and would be roughly equivalent to an English self opening action.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: JJ Reeb Ejector Drilling - 02/03/18 07:13 PM
That isn't really equivalent to an English self opening action. It means it cocks itself( ie by breaking it open) as opposed to a "Handspanner", which you cock by hand. Of course Dreilauf means three barrels( drilling).
Mike
Posted By: Larry21556 Re: JJ Reeb Ejector Drilling - 02/03/18 07:32 PM
Thanks for all of your help with interpreting the details of this drilling I always learn a lot here.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: JJ Reeb Ejector Drilling - 02/04/18 01:23 PM
http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/about-the-makers/gun-makers-dealers-p-t/

Lovely J.J. Reeb advert here on Dietrich Apel's website maintained by Larry B. Schuknecht.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: JJ Reeb Ejector Drilling - 02/04/18 01:41 PM
Here's the text where it notes him as a Certified Master:

Lager sämtlicher Jagdgeräte und Bekleidung

Gewehrfabrik Geprüfter Meister

Poststraße 21. Fernruf 4899

Telegramm-Adresse: Reeb,Postraße.

Postscheckkonto No 15863, Postscheckamt Cöln.
Bankkonto: A.Schaaffhausen'scherBankverein, Bonn.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com