doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MikeV german gun collectors forum problens - 10/16/19 11:59 PM
Is anyone else having problems accessing the forum? I have not been able to for several days.
Posted By: WBLDon Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/17/19 03:24 AM
Yup, get the "This page isn't working" notice. Been that way for the last week or so.

WBLDon
Posted By: Der Ami Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/17/19 03:00 PM
I understand the provider(?) was changing servers, that in itself wasn't that unusual, Dave also changed servers. The difference is Dave announced what was happening and came back "on line" in a reasonable time. I understand the GGCA is corresponding with the provider(?) to find out what is going on. BTW, it is not just the forum, the main site is down also. I hope it will be back up soon.
Mike
Posted By: Old No7 Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/18/19 02:01 PM
Hi Mike:

I can't get to the GGCA Forums either, but I can get to what I consider to be the main page ("germanguns.com") -- so maybe they're making some progress.

Not sure if it's related or not, but the "germanhuntingguns.com" website is also working for me.

Old No7
Still down. Jon Spencer said they are trying to resolve the problem which happened with the went to a "faster" server. Hope they are us soon.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/22/19 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Old No7

Not sure if it's related or not, but the "germanhuntingguns.com" website is also working for me.....

Not at all related. GGCA ousted Dietrich Apel & he started his own website with little support, most saying it was not a worthwhile cause. Some time near his demise, Larry picked up the pieces and really, really enhanced the >>Germanhuntingguns<< website.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/22/19 09:39 PM
Dietrich was not "ousted", he was respected way too much to have been ousted. He left because things were changing in ways he didn't like. Talking about the forum, that is one of the things he didn't want to do. I miss him.
Mike
Posted By: ellenbr Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/23/19 02:13 AM
Well, if you know the truth, let's hear it. There are others of the same opinion. Until yet no-one has given an accurate account of what happened & I for one was not there. I still content he was >>ousted<< & let history reflect it until proven otherwise.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/23/19 02:14 AM
I for one would like to see a full account; a full publication of what transpired to his ousting.....

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/23/19 12:52 PM
I already told the truth as far as I know it, I do know the Assn. voted to make him a life member. Why would they do that if they were going to oust him? We can talk about this "face to face" the next time we meet, that would be better than doing it on the "interiornet".
Mike
Posted By: ellenbr Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/23/19 12:57 PM
No, I think it all needs to be made public as the truth needs to be told, whatever it might be. What little I know is that the hierarchy of GGCA took a vote of confidence, accused him of mismanagement of funds & sent him packing. He was devastated..... Don't know what your version of >>ousted<< might be, but it would fall along the lines of what I hold.

Also, some GGCA members with info informed him not to contact him again with questions regarding Germans guns and he told me this himself. Now being someone who put everything, put his all & I mean his all into GGCA, I don't think he would lie & neither do I practice the craft. But there are many that do & also dilute or cover up the truth. So which one might you be Ford?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/23/19 10:36 PM
Raimey,
I never heard that story, and I talked to him when he was setting up his new site and I agreed to answer questions about ammo for the site, at the time he asked me for recommendations for others that could answer questions. I recommended you. I have profound respect for him and his memory and would not say anything against him. As a matter of fact I was the one, at least one of the ones, that recommended he be given a lifetime membership. There are enough people on this site feuding with one another, we don't need to get another one going. If you want to call me a liar and talk about this ,it is better to do it face to face and not get everyone else involved in it.
Mike
Raimey and Mike. I know both of you, you have both been in my home and looked over my pile of "stuff", which is clearly inferior to both your piles of "stuff," and I would like to see you settle the differing accounts of this fine gentleman face to face. It's not like you are so far apart in distance that you couldn't meet somewhere and talk it over. Once you reach a general agreement as to the facts, then perhaps post it here, if it really needs posting here, which it may not. The LAST thing this forum needs is another feud between two really nice guys such as the two of you, who happen to also be two of our most learned members when it comes to German guns. I personally also don't want to see Mr. Apel's name tarnished here, I would much prefer to see stories of his very large contribution to furthering our knowledge about German guns. Stay friendly, you guys. Talk it over and work this out. Just my two cents worth, you're both good guys, no need to break a friendship, and let's not speak ill of Mr. Apel and his wonderful effort at building our field of knowledge of German guns.

In friendship.
Larry
Posted By: canvasback Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/24/19 04:22 PM
While I have not met either of you, Raimey and Mike, you have both helped me out in the past and I completely echo Larry's post.

For my own selfish reasons, I would prefer to continue learning from you both.
Posted By: Old No7 Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/24/19 04:32 PM
Well said by Larry.

Back to the website...

* Any timeline for when it will be up?

* Do we need help from GGCA Members (of which I am) for $$ to get a better host site?

Old No7
Posted By: Der Ami Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/24/19 09:39 PM
Old No 7
I heard from Jon on the 22nd and the service rep was supposed to send some material to the guy working on it. Jon was going to call the next day( 23 Oct). That was the last I heard. I'm worried, myself.
Mike
Posted By: Der Ami Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 10/31/19 12:52 PM
OK Everybody,
The GGCA Forum seems to be back up. I just posted a remark after jillandsam found it in operation again. It took the remark without a hitch. Looks like we are ready to go again.

Raimey,
Can you notify the guys on Nitro Express?
Mike
Hey Mike- can you help..

I have a solid line from a friend and FFL dealer on a 9mm Luger sn 8813 4" barrel he wants to sell- 9mm, no holster or extra mag or loading tool- bore clean, wood grips, and as it clearly does NOT fit into Dave's German gun stipulation (only rifles and drilling and shotguns, NO handguns- so how do I get hooked up with this or any other similar Luger/Mauser C96/Walther P38 gun sale boards--- Der Fuchs
Posted By: Der Ami Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 12/31/19 11:16 PM
Der Fuchs,
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the Jan C. Still Luger Forum. I don't collect, per se, German military pistols, so don't know of other similar forums. If you are looking for an estimate of value for the Luger you found, you might check Simpson Ltd. Bob Simpson seems to have a good many for sale and he has firm prices listed since his is not an auction site. Auction sites often have unreasonable minimum prices and the same guns stay listed, sometimes for years. Simpsons usually have a decent description of what they are selling so you are pretty likely to find helpful information. Don't give up on the GGCA, if you email the office, they can help you get in. If you can't find them PM me and I will help you.
Mike
Amen to that, our Canadian friend. Both Mike and Raimey have been more than willing to help out anyone who posts on Dave's forum. IMO, it is refreshing to peruse the German sector of this forum, as there seems to be far less "Sturm und Drang" therein--why that is, I cannot say, but I, for one, appreciate it. I grow weary of the "hostilities" found, sometimes, on the For Sale gruppen. Der Fuchs
Well, happy new year Raimey (I am sure you will read the site).
BTW I was amazed at the prices being asked at the Tulsa November show.
This side of the pond they are costing much less (see the egun website).
Posted By: ellenbr Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 01/10/20 01:49 PM
True Bavarianbrit & in Italy sporting arms are realizing around 1/3 the cost of in the U.S. of A. then East of there you can't hardly give them away. Buyers market. Apparently no one wants those handmade relics.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 01/10/20 01:59 PM
I recently noticed a new company importing used German guns at much lower prices than in years past. Their website explains some of the new laws "driving" this. Their website is :www.german-gun-imports.com. I'm not commercially connected to this company. Their name is T&G Gun Imports.
Mike
Posted By: ellenbr Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 01/10/20 02:15 PM
Beside the laws, there is a decline in hardcore hunters; Greenies(non Green Bird shooters) are on the increase with pressure to oust all hunters and the cost of ammo(availability or lack there of-I may just have the only box of 8X51R(Mauser) in the world??) , leasing hunting areas, licenses, taxes, etc., etc.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 01/22/20 08:24 AM
I still can not access the German gun collectors forum. Has that forum been abandoned ? If not any help is appreciated. Possibly a link?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 01/22/20 01:13 PM
http://www.germanguns.com/vb5/forum/new-...auser-schuetzen

Can you view the post on the 8,15X45 1/2R that wears the Eagle / Crown over N / Script Nitro stamp?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 01/22/20 02:14 PM
Ghostrider,
A lot of people must be having a hard time; after the changes to the site, the traffic is pretty low right now. If you click on Raimey's link, above, a page of the forum will come up. Then you can click on "forums" in the top left corner. When that page comes up, put it in your "favorites" and you have it then.
Mike
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 01/23/20 03:37 AM
Thank you gentleman. Did as suggested and was able to add to my favorites.
I spent several hours previously trying to get to the forum without success.
You are having a lot better luck than I have had. RWTF
Posted By: ellenbr Re: german gun collectors forum problens - 01/25/20 12:44 AM
Francis:

Tap on >>LOGIN<< on the top right corner & enter your particulars.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com