doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: james-l Mauser rear sights? - 05/14/20 08:42 PM
I recently acquired an Oberndorf Mauser type S in 7x57 that is all original except that someone has removed the rear sight staff and spring. The base appears to be similar to the ones used on military rifles except it has a straight slope for elevation rather than a curved one. Will a military staff and spring work? it has a fold down peep sight mounted on the receiver ring now.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/14/20 08:56 PM
Is this what's in there now?

Posted By: james-l Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/14/20 10:14 PM
No, the original rear sight is a base similar to the one on a K98 mauser. the current rear sight is similar to a lyman #16 except it has peep blade instead of a notch, it is mounted on the rear receiver ring
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/14/20 11:48 PM
OK, this is a peep replacement for a Swedish MAuser, I still have the original elevator. Sorry.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/15/20 01:06 PM
james-1
I think you will find that the original sight on your rifle is shorter than the one on a German military k 98 Mauser. One from some other make or model( 1909 Parag.) might fit, but I think your best bet is to check with manufactures of rifle sights, they may be able to help you. A couple manufacturers that have websites with downloadable catalogs are: Recknagel( ERA) and Ernst Apel Wuerzburg( EAW). If they cant help, I'm sorry.
Mike
Posted By: james-l Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/15/20 06:02 PM
Mike I'm thinking you are right, it appears the staff length would be a little less than 2" and the spring must have been secured differently as there is no cut out for it. I checked both sources you referred, they have nothing. I might have to look for a cheap K98 staff and explore shortening it.

Jim
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/15/20 08:54 PM
James-1,
I don't think it would be too hard to modify one, the numbers wouldn't likely match, but shouldn't be too noticeable. It will take a mill or drill press to cross drill for the new pin. If you buy the correct size(or close)number drill, you can make the pin from the drill.
Mike
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/15/20 09:18 PM
would a carbine sight like this work

Mauser carbine sight
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/15/20 10:55 PM
It would be worth a try, if it doesn't work, modify it.
Mike
Posted By: james-l Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/16/20 01:15 AM
messaged the carbine sight for its length. It appears to me that the pin is machined on the staff.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/16/20 06:49 PM
james-l,
I'm sure many( if not most) are machined, that would be the easiest way to do it with correct tooling on a production basis. For a "one off" modification, drilling and setting a pin in would be the easiest way, IMO.
Mike
Posted By: james-l Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/16/20 08:17 PM
Mike I'm sure you are right however it looks like a carbine staff will work,they are close to the correct length and have a provision for the spring. main difference as near as I can see is the range markings, the photo in Olsons book is in yards or meters, the military ones I guess are marked in mils. Got one on order, we'll see.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/16/20 10:29 PM
james-l,
You might be right, I hope so.
Mike
Posted By: james-l Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/24/20 08:41 PM
Happy to report that a sight from a 1909 Argentine carbine was a perfect match except for the range markings, even has the correct spring which is different than a rifle sight.
Jim A.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/25/20 01:13 AM
Good, I hope you will post pictures of your rifle.
Posted By: james-l Re: Mauser rear sights? - 05/27/20 06:28 PM
As Physdoc request here are some quick shots of the Mauser type s. One shows the 1909 sight installed on the rifle, it fits perfectly in the cutout on the barrel. Another shows the sight that is installed on the bridge, I doubt that it is original, it is a folding leaf like a Lyman # 16 but has peep blade instead of the normal v notch?

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com