doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 3 drahthaars loose Merkel O/U - 11/07/20 09:50 PM
Just on-line purchased an old Merkel 201E ca. 1957.

I got it home and on inspection noticed that the action is loose. The hinge pin looks worn/flattened.

So, I have two more days to evaluate and make a decision.

Does anyone have a gunsmith to recommend that can tighten this type of action Kirsten lock with Blitz action.

Thanks in advance,
Posted By: ellenbr Re: loose Merkel O/U - 11/08/20 12:53 AM
I would say Darlington Gun Works(Jim Kelly) in South Carolina as he as tightened a DR for me, but Jim is up in age and has a Grandson as an apprentice & a few here have experienced less than satisfactory results.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb...true#Post573287

Then there's New England Custom Gun, but with that there's a shipment involved.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: loose Merkel O/U - 11/08/20 12:58 AM
Now there was a Merkel mechanic @ GSI/Merkel/Steyr in Trussville, Alabama.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: loose Merkel O/U - 11/08/20 02:17 AM
Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Now there was a Merkel mechanic @ GSI/Merkel/Steyr in Trussville, Alabama.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

That would be my choice. I had them do some work on mine once.
Posted By: montenegrin Re: loose Merkel O/U - 11/08/20 12:54 PM
Repairing the Merkel will not be cheap and might involve a long waiting period. So if the price in not rather modest, I would seriously consider the option of sending it back.

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: loose Merkel O/U - 11/08/20 05:25 PM
Gunter Pfrommer in Rocky Mount, VA
Posted By: Der Ami Re: loose Merkel O/U - 11/08/20 06:36 PM
3drahthaars,
Since the hingepin looks "worn/flattened", the first thing to try would be to turn it. It may be "fixed in" with a pin or screw, or it may be pressed in. If that doesn't work, the hingepin should be replaced with a larger one and refit.
Mike
Posted By: 3 drahthaars Re: loose Merkel O/U - 11/08/20 06:44 PM
There appear to be screw slots on both sides, but the damn things are engraved...

I know where not to tread.

I've been researching to find someone experienced with Merkels to get an idea of when to fold on this deal.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: loose Merkel O/U - 11/08/20 08:01 PM
Pfrommer is a good idea also.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: 3 drahthaars Re: loose Merkel O/U - 11/08/20 10:02 PM
I spoke to Gunter Pfrommer, but I got the impression from our conversation that he was hesitant to tackle the gun.

He kept reiterating that Merkels are notoriously very tight.

I didn't push the issue.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: loose Merkel O/U - 11/08/20 11:52 PM
Merkels, like German guns for the most part, are extremely tight. Does it have 65mm chambers?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: loose Merkel O/U - 11/09/20 05:22 PM
3 drahthaars,
The "screw slots on both sides" are in covers for the hingepin, not the hinge pin itself. The covers might also have locking screws to hold it. The covers and locking screws must go back in the same places or the engraving won't match that on the receiver. More than likely, it will be necessary to grind special screwdrivers for the covers and for the locking screws. The slots may very well be "V" slots rather than "square" slots. It will pay to examine them with magnification, to be sure.
Mike
Posted By: steve white Re: loose Merkel O/U - 12/21/20 05:11 AM
My experience is that it costs about a grand...
Posted By: gunman Re: loose Merkel O/U - 12/22/20 12:31 PM
Proper re-joint with a new joint pin . Every thing else is a waste of time . If you do not want to go to the bother and expense then reject the gun .I have seen to many guns that have had piece meal fix it quick jobs done and putting these right will often end up costing more .
Needs some one who is experienced in this kind of work .
Also bear in mind there is a lot more to tightening an action than just a new pin .
Posted By: LetFly Re: loose Merkel O/U - 01/30/21 03:14 PM
Check with JJ Perridou in Enid, OK. Expert and fair pricing. I have used him for all my Sauer guns. 5 stars.
Posted By: gunut Re: loose Merkel O/U - 03/28/21 07:54 PM
well did you keep....or send back.....
Posted By: 3 drahthaars Re: loose Merkel O/U - 04/02/21 06:25 PM
To all that replied, thanks for the inputs!

Since my first post, I've contacted several of the suggested gunsmiths and the Merkel factory service center.

The master at the service center was very informative and his estimate for the repair surprisingly reasonable... I decided to hang on the the gun!

In the mean time, I ginned up a brass shim to bring the gun on face to get through the season... it worked well, and I got to enjoy the gun for the entire season... what a hoot.

Now, I'm considering working on the chokes... it's really tough in the pines shooting quail with F/IF chokes though I get solid hits/misses in the open fields. I don't know if Briley does 16 gage, but Teague seems to be the best of the best regardless of choke.

Any thoughts?

3ds
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com