doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jtplumb Unique Lindner found - 11/20/20 03:57 PM
12 gauge Lindner with Kuhn Philadelphia Pa maker
See pics low serial number

Posted By: SKB Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/21/20 01:59 AM
nice find!
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/21/20 02:42 AM
I haven’t bought it yet but if I do those barrels will need to be black/ grey not brown. You may have a closer look soon enough.
Posted By: SKB Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/22/20 01:24 PM
That brown on those barrels is definitely not correct, almost looks like a copper wash.

I need to work on black and white finish some more, I usually do a very nice two tone brown that is appropriate on British guns.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/22/20 04:42 PM
I have handled quite a few high condition Daly Lindners & Sauer with pattern welded tubes and they were all brown for some reason. Not sure if over time it is due to patina over time or what?

So, does this Kuhn wear Crown over Crossed Sidearms or HAL over Crossed Sidearms. More than likely the initials >>AS<< denote tube effort by Albert Stobb.

What is that other chicken scratching just below the Crossed Sidearms?

Great piece of wood.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: canvasback Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/22/20 08:32 PM
Great find. more pics would be great. Raimey is correct....great piece of wood. I'd make sure that one didn't slip away.
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/22/20 10:14 PM
It’s on gun broker.
My Remington 1894 had been returned due to ffl closed down (covid outbreak) and license holder is fighting for his life now. Gary is the Gamebore shell dealer here in Louisville and many of you have ordered shells from him. keep him in your prayers.
I won’t be bidding unless I know what I’m into on the Remington which may be another 2k project and things kinda squirrely with my gun guys all quarantined and sick.
Good luck
Posted By: canvasback Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/23/20 12:27 AM
So it's pre-1893 Raimey, with the crown over pistols. Also the older style side bolsters on the action.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/25/20 01:37 PM
>> ......the barrels were refinished by Dan Morgon of VT, Auction Locks up nice and tight and barrel are on face , wood is solid no cracks. the receiver is beautifully engraved. This shotgun is marked on barrel Frank Kuhn Maker 476 N. Eighth ST. Philadelphia ,he was at that address from 1881 to 1897, Kuhn is listed as Gunsmith and importer and retailer , There is Provenance with this Shotgun the small oval in the stock is marked presented to John B Leifried by George Heft , both men are Civil War Vets they were active Masons in Philadelphia John the owner of the Shotgun Died in 1912 the Leifried Family are still in business in PA.....<<

Anyone know of this >>Dan Morgon<< of VT? I do wonder what effort he contributed to the tubes?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: canvasback Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/25/20 06:09 PM
Just curious Raimey. Was Kuhn known to have brought in any other guns from Lindner?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/26/20 11:57 AM
Yes, Canvas-Back:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=487735&page=1

He too had the Lindner-Daly fix & just couldn't shake it.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: eightbore Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/26/20 09:05 PM
Nearly all of my Lindner guns were found very close to their New York or Philadelphia points of origin. My little 16 gauge hammer Golcher came out of eastern PA.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/26/20 09:57 PM
Thanks Raimey. I knew about Golcher but not about Kuhn and my mastery of the search function here leaves something to be desired.
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/26/20 10:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up on golcher I have seen several hammer guns by him that I liked and now I know why. Here is a 9lb 12 bore but very expensive.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/27/20 12:49 AM
Indeed, all of the older established concerns were under the Lindner - Daly umbrella, as S,D,G permeated almost every facet of American Sporting Life.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/29/20 12:55 AM
Josef Jakob is noted as being the best of the Philly mechanics & I would say has the most coveted examples. Now, he was not the German Spy from 1940, executed in the Tower of London.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Unique Lindner found - 11/29/20 12:59 AM
>>Away down in South Philadelphia, on Passyunk avenue, there is—or was up to four years ago-—as neat a gun shop as could be imagined. A half-glass door; white curtains at the windows; a white, well-scrubbed floor, with rugs spread over a part of it; a small counter; a small glassdoored gun-case; a small stock of gun supplies, and at one time a small stock of guns — first, muzzle-loaders and then breech-loaders, and now neither. Everything was always spick-and-span clean— a place for everything and everything in its place. This was Joseph Jacob's shop, upstairs was his home, and the prevailing air of neatness may be placed to the credit of his daughter. I liked to visit Mr. Jacob and enjoy the atmosphere of the shop while we talked. Up to twenty years ago he had a good business, building guns to order. Then changes came. Gradually at first he came to realize that he could not compete with machine-made, or partly machine-made, guns, and get the pricethat he must have for good handwork. From employing two or three men, it came in time that he was alone in the shop. His old customers brought him enough orders to keep him fairly busy. Then orders grew more scarce, and eventually the shop was given over to repair work, with an occasional gun to build. Such is the history of many other skilful gunmakers. The factory-made gun has ruined their business—the immutable law of the survival of the fittest again exemplified.<<

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=235106&page=all

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com