doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: journeymen Emil Von Nordheim - 05/10/21 11:29 AM
Hello all, I happened upon another drilling while checking out smaller rural gunstores. Its a 16x16+ 9.3x72r chambering. The odd thing about it is the metal finish. It seems like the action was color case hardened and had nickel plating over the borders of the engraving around the head of the action.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Its a hammer and underlever gun. I believe the spring that holds the action closed is broken

Direct link to picture: https://i.imgur.com/fEYVRoQl.jpg
Posted By: HalfaDouble Re: Emil Von Nordheim - 05/10/21 04:34 PM
Very interesting. I'd be tempted!
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Emil Von Nordheim - 05/10/21 05:37 PM
It is a Zella-Mehlis Hahn Drilling on a Roux platform, being a gem from post 1911.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Emil Von Nordheim - 05/11/21 11:57 AM
journeyman,
Rainey says it is post 1911, Zella-Mehlis. Of you show clear photo of proof marks, we might be able to date the gun and maybe pick out other info.
Mike
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Emil Von Nordheim - 05/12/21 12:08 AM
Emil von Nordheim hung out his gunmaking shingle in 1879 and looks to have departed this life in 1937. Another listing gives 26.02.1859 - 19.04.1938 as birth and death dates. Now there were several von Nordheim mechanics in Mehlis - Zella - Mehlis. One such with an interesting name was Gotthilf von Nordheim.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: journeymen Re: Emil Von Nordheim - 05/12/21 11:13 AM

The barrels are nitro proofed and the bores are free of pitting. Its odd that its nitro proofed given he retired so early?
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Emil Von Nordheim - 05/12/21 08:37 PM
The rifle is proofed for the 14.6 gram(225.3 grain) lead bullet(Bl G). It was proofed in July 1924 ( 7.24) with ledger number 224( or is it 824 ?). This was well within the smokeless era, Raimey said he died in either 1937 or 38, I didn't see a retirement date. The left hand barrel is choked( constriction not shown), I couldn't see the markings on the right one.
Mike
Posted By: journeymen Re: Emil Von Nordheim - 05/14/21 12:30 PM
Mike, Raimey, thank you for helping identify the proof's. Is it uncommon for drillings to be serup for 225grn bullets?

I'm a total novice to these guns and the only loadings i've seen are copper jacketed 193 grain S&B offerings. Would those be ok to use?

The proof's on the watertables are hard to get good pictures of. I'll see if i can clean them up.

What should a gun like this cost?
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Emil Von Nordheim - 05/14/21 08:08 PM
journeymen,
It is a little bit uncommon to see one proofed for the 225grain lead bullet, but they were more common earlier and it was mostly a matter of preference. The 193 grain S&B ammo is perfectly fine to use. I try to stay away from estimating the value of someone else's gun that I don't have "in hand". My best advice would be to research actual sale prices for similar guns and don't pay much attention to those that have been on auction sites for months and months with a minimum bid that hasn't been met. Also, the broken" spring" is a negative concern, but if it really is the spring it is not devastating.
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com