doublegunshop.com - home
Hello everyone! I am looking for a help with identification of this drilling.
Markings and sign-
Bock Frankfurt-maybe gunseller, merchant Carl Bockghis shop still exist in Frankfurt
Bohler blitz stahl- Gebruder Bohler & CO. - Austria
88/1258- under rifle barrel-seriál number 1258? Of gunmaker with ferlach code 88?
3542.53-its mean 3542nd gun proofed in 1953 in Ferlach proof house?
8x57JR-Im suprised, did they still make Guns in 8x57jr gkind of obsolete caliber in 1953..
I J - letters under rifle barrel, initials of tubesetter/gunsmith?
There is also date on the shotgun barrels 25.2.71 - probably date of proof after rechambering shotgun chambers from 16/65 to 16/70.I cant see choke markings.
Thank you all for your help, Im going to upload dome pictures. Martin
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Pleasure us with a pic of the water-table.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
There is no Ferlach code 88. This seems to be code 33, meaning Franz Sodia.
Yes, Ferlach made the older 8x57IR into the middle fifties. Don't be surprised, things moved slowly under the Karawanken :-)
As for IJ and the date I would not know the meaning. But the 16/65 mark I see intact so there was no official chamber lenght change.
BTW many Ferlach guns at the time were ordered by German gunsmiths/gun dealers, and marked so.

Cheers,
Jani
https://www.jpgbox.com/page/66484_600x400/][Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/URL]
Thank you very much! Ill put few more pictures. Very interesting indeed.
It passed thru a German proof facility in 1971.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Can you snap a better image of what looks to be a >>25<< maker's code over stamped by German proofmarks?

Serbus,

Raimey
rae

Too, there should be a preliminary datastring on one of the ribs of the tubeset.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

>>1258<< on the water-table.

>>88/1258<< Maybe the >>88<< has some like to the 88/8X57IR????

I'll ponder on the number but I do see German proofmarks of 16/70 on the flats which I would say over-ride the 16/65 Ferlach marks.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
On these Post WWII Ferlach offerings, the maker's mark is usually on the lower tube, forward of the flats up to the forend hanger. Are there any marks around the forend hanger? What is coupled with the >>Frankfurt<< stamp?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

The left flats wears the mark of the Ulm German proof facility.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Yes, thank you. Forward foreend there is mark, letters I J
AS far as I can see.
Yes, there is 25.2.71 I think its a date when they changed shotgun chambers and reproofed in Ulm..
Hum, so the >>25.2.71<< accompany the reproof effort. I am not that familiar with German reproof marks from the 1970s but I guess they could have used a day.month.year type stamp. >>IJ<< , I'll see what I can find. I tend to think it would be the mark of an Austrian mechanic.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Any chance to get 2 Bock's ledgers?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Can you verify with a loupe that in deed the initials are >>IJ<<?? And not some other worn mark?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Right off hand, I. Just is about the only possibility & I for one have no idea if he even existed. Stretching the possibility a bit more, if JJ morphed to IJ then Joseph Just, but that is one huge stretch of the imagination.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
The only I. Just that might be around in the early 1950s is Ignaz Just, mentioned in 1938 as a gunsmith at Steyr. If he went (back) to Ferlach after WWII he might have been one of many home workers employed by Franz Sodia (and others).

Maybe our distinguished member from Bonn could see about the Bock's ledgers. Or, alternatively, if anyone can penetrate the Ferlach Beschussamt, the ledger number will tell the story as the pertinent books are still there (I had some luck with them in the past, but they remain in silence in recent years).

Cheers,
Jani
Ignaz Just, well the resident Ferlach expert has shown. Hum, great suggestion.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
I'm just now coming into this thread. I have a marked Franz Sodia drilling from a similar time period ( 1956) but in 8x57IRS. From the form of the receiver and the game scene engraving, I am sure the subject drilling was made by Franz Sodia.
Mike
According to my ad hoc research this "Kunna Koblenz" is in fact a Franz Sodia made in 1952 (or 1951) and sold to W. Kunna of Koblenz for the German market:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...x57jr-16ga-24-quot-.cfm?gun_id=101224994

It should look similar to the subject 1953 proved specimen retailed by Bock.

Cheers,
Jani
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com