doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jtplumb 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/19/22 10:36 PM
Rarely do I find prewar round top Sauer dual sear, ejector guns for sale anymore, so I bought this one even though it was a 7.5lbs 30in barreled beast of a gun. Looks like case colors are original but wood and barrels look like they were refinished years ago. All the screws are great and nice to have original butt plate. Found a listing with same gun but 20ga they called it a grade 30 VL&D.
What model or grade do you fellows think I have?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: canvasback Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/19/22 11:47 PM
Can’t help you on the grade but that gun is enough to make me rethink my self imposed ban on buying 7 pound plus 12 gauge. Nicely done!
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 12:18 AM
Thanks. I didn’t expect to have a duck gun like this but wow, I’m sending the DM Lefever down the road for someone else to enjoy hell I already have the bismuth loaded up for this one! Its choked .042 .042!
Pics didn’t do wood justice.
Posted By: canvasback Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 12:49 AM
Looks very close in dimensions and chokes to my big Lindner Daly. Damn fine duck guns.
Posted By: Parabola Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 09:58 AM
A very nice gun.

The filing of the action body is very similar to the Greener Facile Princeps action, although I see the front of the floor plate is squared off whilst the FP would have a rounded front end.

Does it have Anson and Deeley styled cocking levers or is there a central cocking arrangement?
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 12:24 PM
S&Sohn Model XIV E. Very nice find as few round tops are found with the late date- I have a very similar one , a heavy , long , tightly choked waterfowl or pigeon weight gun, but cataloged by V,L&D as a model 280E , corresponds to a S&Sohn mo. XVII ( 1926 man ), but Not a round top action.
The XIV did not come with the 3-ring “ Spezial “ steel barrels as the XVII model did. V, L&D did catalogue a mo 240 that might have come with the lower grade barrels , but these would normally come with extractors rather than ejectors as your gun has .Might have been a special order for an early round top action and fitted with the lower grade barrels with ejectors to expedite ??
Looks to be in very nice condition, wonderful find . I prefer the looks of the round tops, but no difference in performance. Mine has smote a fair number of green heads the last couple of years!

Best Regards,
JBP
Posted By: eightbore Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 12:51 PM
Let us know what Abercrombie and Fitch says about this great gun.
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 02:21 PM
Bob Beach still has access to the records but G&H no longer provide a service of purchasing photo copies of sales books.
Mr. Beach kindly sent me some images of the record entries for my last 1929 mo 300e ( round top) I picked up this Spring.
His email is:
Beach@griffinhowe.com

Best Regards,
JBP
Posted By: canvasback Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 02:49 PM
Please excuse my ignorance but what is a Sauer “round top”. I haven’t heard that expression before.
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 03:58 PM
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

The detonators extend over the top of the breech ( kind of like a reinforced Webley and Scott action) on the left example, and on a “ round top” action, the barrel profiles blend seamlessly into the top of the receiver ( gun on right) , like the lines on a Prussian Daly ( as I’m sure you are familiar with 😊)
Best Regards,
JBP
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 04:03 PM
Non ( later production) round top:
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 04:07 PM
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 04:25 PM
Thanks, JBP. I sent Mr. Beach an email. Thought it was possibly a special order? Pretty excited since it fits!
Posted By: canvasback Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 06:00 PM
Perfect. Thank you. Especially the pics. Makes it dead obvious. I figured it was something like that. Much prefer the aesthetics of the round top.

This would be my round top Sauer sidelock. I have noticed that compared to many other guns, the top is very rounded.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/20/22 09:32 PM
Some nice wood you got there James! That’s going to be awesome.
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/22/22 03:18 PM
Unfortunately Mr Beach has retired. Still working on letter from G&H though
Posted By: canvasback Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 09/22/22 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jtplumb
Some nice wood you got there James! That’s going to be awesome.

Thanks. Really looking forward to its rehab completion.
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 10/08/22 10:56 PM
Anyone know what this number represents? I found another VL&D Sauer with same date and number in .410 gun looks very similar except missing overhead sears. It was a model 180?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 10/10/22 02:45 PM
I am not sure but the area is used as a palette for mechanics' marks & sometimes modell numbers. I would hasten to wager it is some process mark or liability mark??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 10/15/22 04:37 PM
My 1927-28 VL&D catalog came in today, gun pic and description is dead ringer for 280 except it came with Krupp special vs this guns Krupp Essen. It’s a 280 next one down was 180 total different gun.
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 10/29/22 01:26 AM
i thought of this thread when i happened to pick up doublegun journal 2010 - #3, and reread jack rowe's article "how to identify & describe fences"; wherein, he identifies four basic shapes of fences.

plain ball, long and short
cutaway
ball and bead
ball, bead and cutaway

article is on page 131 if you're so inclined.

best regards,
tom
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 10/29/22 01:18 PM
Will do. Thanks Tom
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 10/29/22 04:52 PM
my pleasure, sir....also noticed that you had beaten me to the draw on the impressive old 10 gauge gun....from "chicago".

ain't this stuff fascinating?

b. r.
tom
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 10/29/22 05:20 PM
Yes and that 10 was probably what Raimey calls a gestik ( I probably spelled wrong) where the gunmaker bought a kit from SD&G and finished it their way. But if that gun would have been a 16ga I would have paid the asking price, its beautiful!
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 11/02/22 03:01 PM
Please let us know the weight of the gun when received. It looked to be a rather heavy bugger.
Very attractive, but massive by the appearance of the barrel walls.
Best Regards,
JBP[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 11/02/22 04:58 PM
Oh I didn’t buy it. I posted about it in September and let them know in other thread. I don’t like heavy guns. The xive Sauer is too heavy at 7.5lbs for me. I waterfowl hunted with Spanish 10ga sxs for decade or so almost 13lbs, not now I’m 53 and out of shape. No thanks
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 11/02/22 06:33 PM
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=621289#Post621289
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 11/12/22 02:00 PM
JBP your 300e (saw in hunting pics) deserves its own thread here. Wow post some pics that is a very special German made gun!
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 11/16/22 12:12 AM
A few photos of the 300E as requested:

Best Regards,
JBP
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 11/16/22 12:36 AM
Sold to Z.C.Patten in 1929 from the V,L&D records sent to by Bob Beach ( Griffin& Howe)

Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 11/16/22 12:44 AM

Original sales ledger entries from 1929 sale to Mr.Patten
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 1930 VL&D JP Sauer added to stable - 11/16/22 02:58 AM
Absolutely gorgeous Sauer! I like this one over the game scene engraved guns, it just looks more refined in my opinion. Super nice to have its provenance as well. Congratulations!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com