April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (FallCreekFan, SKB, 1 invisible), 833 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110829 09/03/08 03:36 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok most agree that with the right loads 2 3/4 ain't bad in a 2 1/2 chamber. Next step is 3" in a 2 3/4 chamber, say an extra eight ounce of 7 1/2's for more coverage in an open choke gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eley's used to make a cartridge called the 'Maximum', it was a 2 3/4" long case that was safe for use in a 2 1/2" chamber gun but loaded with 1 1/4 ounce of shot. It was intended for occasional wildfowling in a game gun. They still make this load but with 1 and 3/16th. ounce of shot. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by Run With The Fox

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dunno what "Runs at the mouth"said, but I am sure it wasnt pertinent to anything. I have, IN ERROR, done what you said. It was noticeable raht naow! I shot a 3 inch "heavy" load in a big frame fox...I wouldnt do it again on purpose..Maybe a "light" 3 inch hand load in a strong gun,,,I dunno...Not me, but the logic seems the same, I guess...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I have spouted it before, but will go again. Burrard covers the full particulars of that Maximum load. It was developed with the introduction of slower burning powders which allowed the heavier shot charge to be used without an increase of pressure. It was usually put up in the longer case with a fold crimp. The disadvantages were of course an increase in recoil, & if used continously an increase in the strain upon the action of the gun. An alternative is the "Low Velocity" load, again discussed in depth by Burrard wherein the increased shot charge is offset by a decrease in the powder charge & velocity of the load. This can be accomplished with normal recoil & stress & as long as an adequate shot size is used virtually no loss of effectivness. It really is a pity that no-one in the last 75 years has seen fit to publish a book delving into shotgun ballistics to the extent Burrard covered them. I have purchased several that received great press & their contents simply paled in comparsion.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra

I am trying to find some low pressure 20Ga 2 1/2" chamber load data. 6000-7500 PSI for use in my Ithaca Flues 20Ga. I am currently using RST paper hull 2 1/2" Vintage loads, Which are great, but I do want to try and reload for the short 2oGa.
Thanks for any info.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Other than Bell not much has been done with pressure in modern shells> I believe his work on shooting 2 3/4" shells in 2 1/2" chambers and lack of supposed increse in pressure.Just wondering if anyone has pushed it to the 3" into 2 3/4" to see if the same holds true.I am talking safe loads like the AA Feathers in the first case but wonder if the effect is the same shooting the later if shell pressures are about the same at the start.The old paper roll crimped shells are thicker going into the forceing cone so I don't think plastic or paper make much difference in the whole.Paper does smell better.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.