March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, bsteele, David Williamson, Ted Schefelbein), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#114619 09/27/08 03:52 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Help, please!

How do I measure the choke constriction of a .410? I have this ID caliper:

It goes less than two inches into the tighter barrel, and slightly over 2 inches into the more open barrel. Any suggestions on how to measure the chokes? Without a known barrel size?

Do I measure a known distance of this caliper and then adjust based on what the dial says? But that would give me the diameter of the opening of the barrel / muzzle, not necessarily the "choke," right? Because I don't know the diameter of the barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does it appear to hit a parallel section? If so, and that's approx. .410", that may be the barrel ID. Depends on how long the taper leading into the cinal choke diameter is. I have a similar gauge and measured my Browning M42 by using a telescoping gauge to determine the bore I.D.(.407" in my gun). The choke measures .396". My choke is therefore .013". The barrel is marked "Full". Skeet targets believe it is full, when I center one. I have a Skeets bore mike set but it only goes small enough for a 28.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

After you measure them, but before you open them up, pattern them and see how they pattern. I have a beautiful English made .410 with a half and full choke. But when I patterned the gun each barrel patterned exactly the same. I guess that falls into the wonders of shotgunning 101 ?/?/?

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ben, you can't use those internal calipers to measure the amount of constriction in a .410 because the steel arms are just too wide to allow enough reach into the bore. Bore diameter is irrelevant, choke diameter is irrelevant. What you need to measure is the difference between the bore ID and the choke ID. Nice to know choke taper, but you can't get it with that tool.

If you are willing to relegate that tool to a somewhat fragile status, you can try filing down the wide part of the probes so that you can get more reach into the bore. Max depth on that tool is 3.25" under the best of circumstances.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all! I am going to try shaving off some metal from the legs...

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.