April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, Ian Forrester, AGS, Pwog, Wild Skies, Drew Hause), 771 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,817
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#117271 10/17/08 11:53 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Who in New England can accurately measure barrel wall thickness or who sells an accurate wall thickness gauge at a reasonable price that will reach at least 15" into the tubes?

Dean

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a link to a thread on the Fox Collectors website. It is very very very picture heavy. If you scroll down there is a picture and explanation I posted of a brand of wall thickness gauge I have.

http://foxcollectors.com/My%20Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=679&highlight=truth+gauge

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any smith with a bore gauge(dial indicator type) should be able to measure the insides and with another dial indicator type thicknes gauge measure the outside. Then divide by 2 and you get the wall thicness. I shoulden't dost much at all.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike. So where does one get the "Truth Tool" or any other such wall thickness gauge? . . . or, who in New England can measure barrels?

Thanks, Dean

Sidelock
Sidelock

Contact Jonathan Pool at ccpool@cox.XXX

Replace the suffix XXX with net.

Last I knew it was $240 pluz shipping.

Gordon the hole is not necessarily centered in the barrel so if the outer diameter is 0.050 larger than the inner diameter the wall thicknesses could be 0.040 on one side and 0.010 on the other. I have seen this.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike

Quite right. I used one of the specific bore gauges last weekend at a shop with a bushing to get everyting alligned right but you can pull the rod a little and make it change. I ran the gauge inside the tube several times until the reading was consistant.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brownell carries the Manson w/t gauge, a "tuning fork" design as is Mike's "Truth". About 90 bucks a few yrs. ago; probably still under 1C but I didn't check the current catalog.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Brownells has to be hung in the veritcal position. The "Truth Gage" must be used horizontally. I think it is much easier to use and I can operaste it by myself.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I had a look at your gauge on the Fox collectors forum. Except for you, no one to my knowledge has ever issued a fiat stating that any tuning fork gauge "must" be used in one orientation or another. The late Oscar Gaddy had a rep for knowing what was up with these gizmozis. He advocated vertical suspension and my guess is he would have thought that the optimum method of manipulation of the "Truth" gauge also as I see nothing from a design standpoint that distinguishes it from a Manson; from a cost standpoint I do--$150.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

rabbit the "Truth Gage" has an extension on one fork that lets you hang the gauge (horizontal position) in the barrel and zero the dial. This zeros the effect of the weight of the gauge. Then as you slide the gauge down the barrel (again in the horizontal position) it reads the actual wall thickness. I can do this by myself at a gunshow on a table and without hanging the gauge from a string. This is also per the directions that come with the gage.

I don't disagree with you that the Brownell gauge must be hung vertically. I have much respect for the late Dr. Gaddy but I never saw anything he wrote that ruled out use of the "Truth Gage" in the horizontal position.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 10/17/08 06:23 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.