May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (ClapperZapper, WBLDon, SKB, Tim Wolf, Argo44), 695 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,600
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

This happens very often - that is why a good honest Gunsmith is as rare as Gold. Paying up front encourages this behavior in Gunsmiths - IMO.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill most likely does not want to name names in hopes that this "message" will get back to the "smith" and get him off the mark and finish the guns. With caller ID most people find it real easy to duck a phone call from those whom they do not want to talk to.

Send him a Certified letter and a regular letter. Courts will assume a regular letter was received and opened if it is not returned. Certified will give you an exact date it was delivered. In the letter(s) give him three days from the date of delivery to call you. If he does not respond in three days then give the local police a call. Most likely one of them knows him personally and they will contact him to get him to either finish the work, explain the long delay, return the guns, or can start the investigation for "stolen or lost guns". As a backup I would use ATF two days later. Most of us do not want ATF coming around and starting any "investigations" in our shops.

Problem is that you need to come up with real deadlines and stick to them. Then after you get it resolved you need to return here and lets us know the outcome and who it was. By not naming names you in effect drag every gunsmith into the mess because as we each suspect someone of being the problem. There is only one bad guy in this and you are hurting many others by not naming names. People may still send him work but will at least know to be on guard for problems instead of waiting months before the know that they have a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bill Janssen
I hesitate to post this but I really don't know what to do next.

A while back...quite a while back...after a discussion concerning work to be done and price I sent several guns (including a graded Lefever sideplate 16 and a Fox B grade 12) to a well-known gunsmith for some work. Payment-in-full was sent along with the guns. Previously, I had always received fast, responsive service and therefore did not inquire or even ask about turn around time. I just assumed it would be reasonable. Some time (months) later I called for a progress report an was told they were all ready or nearly ready to be shipped back to me, which was fine. Nothing happened, more time passed, and I called again...and once again received similar assurances.

To make a long story short, now, after numerous unreturned phone messages, emails, faxes, and postal mail (including a certified letter) this individual has become totally non-responsive. After this amount of time I'm less concerned with losing my payment than I am getting my guns back.

At this point, I really don't know what to do. It's too far away to go knock on his door. None of the options I can think of to escalate this are appealing to me, but I may not have an option?

Any ideas? I would REALLY appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Bill

First suggestion is to reveal the name of the gunsmith who is ignoring you.
What are you afraid of?

Second is that you shouldn't have paid him in advance without a turnaround time estimate.

Your time and length of waits are pretty vague.

If you are not willing to post his name, why waste our time with a post like this?

Best wishes for a speedy resolve.

Was your previous, fast service with this same person? Another vague detail.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would email him a link to this thread and tell him you will disclose dates and facts and his name if he doesn't contact you and work something out. Give him three days to respond and then post dates and his name here.

And then if you don't hear from him do it. Then email or mail him and tell him if you don't hear from him in five days you will contact the police. If you don't hear from him in five days contact the police.

And then if you don't hear from him do it. Then email him or mail him and tell him if you don't hear from him in five days you are going to contact ATF.

And then if if you don't hear from him do it. Then have a lawyer write him a demand letter ($200?) and tell him you may sue him if he doesn't resolve the matter in ten days.

Say what you are going to do and then do what you said you would. Like training a dog, he will catch on.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 11/06/08 10:18 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

OP Offline

Good news. I received an email yesterday evening from the gunsmith who promised to return my guns and indicated a time frame to do so.

Jim: It's been over two years since I shipped the guns out for work. Yes, the previous fast and good service I got was from this individual.

I really appreciate all the responses, especially Bighorn, Chuck, Amarillo Mike and Ky Jon (a perceptive fellow) who had helpful suggestions.

Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good. Let us know how it all works out. My suspicion is he hasn't even started on the work. I still think you should let us know who the 'smith is.
Thank you,

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunmiths, like lawyers sometimes take on jobs they wish they hadn't. It is easy to let stuff you've put off get buried in the new stuff you have to do. If you let this situation go on for two years, you just weren't raising enough cain about it...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 11/07/08 11:20 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave K. Obama hasn't even taken the oath of office yet. He can't be impeached. There are many new drugs on the market that may be helpful for your condition.
nial

Bill,

Can you email me at randolph_duke@comcast.net - I have a question for you.

Thanks.

Randy Duke

Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow. Benjamin Franklin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.