May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Thaine, Jtplumb, Santiago Chahin), 308 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,516
Posts545,688
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#120802 11/09/08 04:11 PM
Gerald Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone ever heard of this maker. I believe it is WM Kavanagh and Son Dublin on the rib. Good quality?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gerald; 11/10/08 06:02 PM.

Gerald
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gerald,

William Kavanagh & Sons; Wm & Jas Kavanagh; William Kavanagh & Son, Dublin, Ireland.
Gun, Pistol & Rifle Maker, Gunpowder Merchant, 1796-1928
Although established in 1796, William Kavanagh was first recorded in 1817 at 6 Anderson's Court, Greek Street, Dublin.
In 1822 he made his sons (William and James) partners in the business. While he moved to 4 Upper Ormond Quay to trade as William Kavanagh, his sons traded at 11 Dame Street as William Kavanagh & Sons.
By 1840 William Kavanagh was trading at 4 Upper Ormond Quay as a gunpowder merchant.
In 1847 William Kavanagh & Sons took additional premises at 12 Dame Street into which they moved relinquishing 11 Dame Street later that year.
In 1849, James Kavanagh was recorded trading on his own as a gunmaker at 4 Upper Ormond Quay. William Kavanagh (& Son?) was recorded at 12 Dame Street. William II appears to have managed the business.
In 1853 William Snr retired or died and William and James took over to trade as Wm & James Kavanagh, gun makers and gunpowder merchants. They exhibited at the Dublin exhibition in that year.
In 1872 it appears that James retired or died because William continued at 12 Dame Street with a factory in Dame Lane. It may have been at this time that William (II) made his son a partner and that the business became William Kavanagh & Son, Gun Makers and Gunpowder Merchants, in 1881 they were recorded as such.
By 1890 the firm operated a 120 foot long shooting gallery.
W Kavanagh & Son designed a vertical barrelled (O/U) gun but they do not appear to have patented it, it is thought one or two were made for them by the Fenian Gun Co. One example bears the name P V Kavanagh & Sons (see P V Kavanagh & Sons).
The firm was not recorded after 1928. See P V Kavanagh.
Other Info
As W Kavanagh & Son the firm sold cartridges under the names "The Schultze Cartridge", "The Mirus" and "The Ideal".

Courtesy of http://www.internetgunclub.com/index.php

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Gerald Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Birdog. I appreciate the information.Has anyone ever used one or seen one before? Good quality?

Last edited by Gerald; 11/09/08 04:51 PM.

Gerald
Sidelock
Sidelock

As Birdog has pointed out there is no "u" in Kavanagh. AFAIK, the guns range through v.good to farmers' guns. I've seen a few, mainly the latter, all SxS and sturdy. They are not very common in Ireland. I own one, 12g, serial no 6XXX that is somewhere in the mid-range, I guess, due to the quality of the wood and almost full coverage of the engraving. It is a family "heirloom" passed down through the generations from my greatgreatgrandfather. Hammer SxS, Damascus barrelsabout 28", stamped "Not for Ball." It has some rough "country" repairs - replaced fore-end (although the original Deeley lever and horn/ebony tip inset were re-used) and also a replacement hammer for right bbl. It has a countoured steel butt-plate. Stock is lovely old walnut, but the chequering is worn smooth, some traces of the lines can be seen. Caste is normal but the drop is quite big. It's a bit loose/off face, now retired and when I shot it as a kid was allowed only low powered black powder cartridges. I still remember the smoke and smell! Weight is quite light,just over 6lbs. and balance is beautiful, I take it off the wall periodically for a swing and a clean. Rs
K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gerald - virtually all makers/vendors in the Brit gun trade supplied a wide range of Original Quality grades of guns. It is hazardous to your wallet to try to associate a brand name with a given quality grade. You must learn to recognize quality independent of the name on the gun. Also, as important as OQ was/is, you must also be able to recognize the Current Condition level of the gun. A gun with a desirable name and of high OQ grade may well turn into a money pit if it is in a poor CC level. On the other hand, a gun with an obscure name and "middlin'" OQ grade may give a lifetime of fine service if it comes to you in high a high CC level.

Post back if you want to discuss further.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the past I owned Kavanagh Gun #6561 a very nice bar action 12.G top lever hammer gun. The address on the gun was,12 Dame Street,Dublin. The gun was of best quality, perhaps not surprising since research shows that Stephen Grant, of London fame was apprenticed to Kavanaugh.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned two turn of the century Kavanagh sle's and handled maybe a half dozen shotguns, SLE's mostly and a BL, a few double rifles, one a Jones rotary under-lever 8 bore with 20" barrels and a shotgun stock, ( a close quarters DG bush gun or a version of a howdah maybe), the eight was probably from the 1850's - 60's. I would rate the quality of the guns I have seen as being very good to excellent with a shooter in the mix. The double rifles were top shelf.

Kavanagh was doing business at a time when Dublin was home to many notable gun & rifle makers, William & John Rigby of Suffolk Street, William Trulock , Thomas Fowler, Thomas Calderwood, McKnight etc. and as Roy Hebbes notes, some very able apprentice.

Is the gun Damascus or steel barrelled ? Any photos?

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Gerald #121616 11/14/08 08:56 PM
Gerald Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It has steel barrels. Full engraving coverage, double triggers, BLNE. It is not in my possession as the owner has not accepted my offer yet. If I get it and can figure out how to post pics, I will.
Thanks for the information.

Gerald
Gerald #121637 11/14/08 11:07 PM
RWG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Wm Kavanagh BLE with 80% rose and scroll engraving. I consider is nice mid grade Birmingham gun. Most likely a Scott rebadged and retailed by Kavanagh. Still, a very nice gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Roy Hebbes
In the past I owned Kavanagh Gun #6561 a very nice bar action 12.G top lever hammer gun. The address on the gun was,12 Dame Street,Dublin. The gun was of best quality, perhaps not surprising since research shows that Stephen Grant, of London fame was apprenticed to Kavanaugh.

Dame Street and not Down Street, eh? Interesting.

Last edited by Story; 01/09/12 09:06 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.