May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Kip, Ducks Rx, Jimmy W, Guy Ave), 318 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,772
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9778 11/11/06 09:28 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Before Oscar passed he was using logwood dye on his rust blue jobs like Parker Bros did at the factory. I was in Gander Mountain and noted that they were selling a liquid dye for traps. Looking closer it turned out to be logwood and was only a few bucks. Has anyone tried it yet? I have a set of tubes I may play with.
bill

I've used it on traps, but not on a gun. This was going on 30 years ago, when I ran a trapline, as a youngster. The stuff was called "logwood crystals", and it was just as the name implies. A crystallene substance, that was dark blue/black. You added it to boiling water, and submerged your lightly rusted traps in it for a couple of hours. I don't think it would make a very permanent blue job, on a polished surface.

Jeff

akjeff #9782 11/11/06 10:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

logwood dye is used in the rebrowning, or reblack/whitening of damascus tubes. Parkers were well known for their black on white or white on black damascus barrels. The logwood helps give damascus tubes a stronger difference, rather then a more common brown refinish.

CMWill #9818 11/12/06 08:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
Same stuff, different form. I see no reason it wouldn't work just as well. I will say, however, that I have not found any real benefit in using logwood for black/white damascus as of yet. I've tried it a few times, and got no more than a very subtle change, which disappears quickly in the next ferric chloride bath.
Jim

Jim, didn't Oscar's letter from the Parker factory people state that the logwood boil was the last step, not and intermediary one? Also trying to get another "Hoosier" hooked up with you as he has a "sick/diseased" sweet elsie and I thought it would be closer for you to take care of it than sending it to me on the East Coast. Best. Dr. BILL

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The logwood was his last step in refinishing. He showed me one of his first jobs with logwood and it was very subtle.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Both Bills,
Yes, it was used as a last step. Although I haven't tried that yet, my point is that the dye doesn't seem too durable. It's also quite easy to over-do it, so to speak, dying the white areas as well. My caution on that would be, don't get greedy, be happy with a minimal gain.
Jim

Jim, the lack of durability is why Oscar used True-oil as an "over finish" from what he told me. Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.