April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (ClapperZapper, SKB, bushveld, 1 invisible), 463 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T.J.P. Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Well, I have an old Crescent Peerless model 12ga, and it is a great old gun, but it has or is becoming loose at the action or the correct term may be 'off face". What needs to be done to fix it? It is a good old gun and has good barrels on it, and I (in the past) never thought twice about shooting high brass 2 3/4 loads out of it for turkey hunting, I don't shoot anything out of it now but I really hate to see it become a "wall hanger". Thanks for any info you can provide.

High brass 2 3/4" turkey loads? I wonder how it got off face?? MDC

Sidelock
Sidelock

It may be that the high pressure loads you mentioned have stretched the action, making it off face. These old guns just weren't designed for regular ingestion of whoopie loads. There are a number of good gunsmiths capable of tightening it up. But you'll need to put the gun on a diet of loads it was designed for if you want to keep it tight.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

It can probably be fixed. You may be able to put it back into shooting order with a shim, or a gunsmith can put it back on face, but it will probably cost a few hundred $. Post your location and you will get referrals to qualified gunsmiths. It's probably not worth shipping a Crescent across the country to get it fixed, but there may be a decent smith near you.

T.J.P. Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The general location would be Southern Indiana. Well when/if I get it tightened up (I'm not spending a ton of money at this point on a $200 gun), what would be the reccomended load for turkeys? I'll be honest this is really the only shotgun I have except for my slug gun. Also,(this may stir up a hornets nest)If its gonna cost more than the gun did, what would be a good side-by-side replacement. I'm not a collector, I'm just a general outdoorsman that enjoys the company of a decent side-by-side in the field. With that said I dont need a super fine double, I just need something reliable that probably isn't a classic because it will get used a good deal. Thanks for all the advice and information.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack Haugh
Milan, IN
812-654-3209

You might look for an honestly used Hunter Arms Fulton or Ithaca Lefever Nitro Special; or for a more modern SxS a Browning BSS or Ithaca/SKB 200.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a very nice Fox that has just been listed in the For Sale section right now. Keep the loads at or below 1 1/4 ounce and 1200 fps and it will last you a couple lifetimes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Get 16ga or 20ga Winchester Model 24. About the only thing that will destroy that gun is two-handed sledgehammer. Veeeery durable piece.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ithaca/ SKB 200 is a best buy any time. SKB 100, too. I bought three new 100s at $180 each and gave them away as gifts to family members. They're still going strong in one of the harshest hunting environments on the continent.

Last edited by King Brown; 12/08/08 10:29 PM.
T.J.P. Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

So do you think that the model 24 could handle the occasional high-brass load for my turkeys?(16ga.)Maybe I should clarify that that Peerless has had a grand total of about 3 or 4 High brass loads shot through it,but that may have in the end been too many. I patterned it with two before I took it hunting and incinerated a pop can at 25 yards with it (so I figured I could wipe out a turkey humanely at that range with that success)and shot it once at a turkey in the fog and completely missed lol. When I said that I wasn't afraid to shoot high brass it was more in saying that my barrels were in good shape. Thanks for the replies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.