May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, arrieta2, Steve Nash, Ithaca5E, Argo44, 1 invisible), 276 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,030
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
jmc #125242 12/10/08 12:55 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Quote:
I'm sure someone can come up with a few negatives, but the only one I can think of in the context of your question is the weight of a 12 ga. Super with 28" bbls for pheasant hunting. I'm guessing this configuration to weigh about 7.5 lbs... which can get heavy walking around with for hours in heavy cover.

I understand. My favorite right now is my 1913 Parker VH 16ga 0 frame 28" bbls all original w/vulcan steel bbls that weighs in at just 6lbs. I've just always wanted a Superposed. I just wish they would have made a 16ga. Lordy, what a grouse/pheasant gun that would have made!

Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators. Will Rogers
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned somewhere in the region of 10 Browning B25 Superposed's from new. Yes the chambers can rust if you do not clean them, but I have found that if I use a genuine wool lined leather gunslip I do not get any rust. If I use a synthetic wool gun slip and I don't clean the chambers properly then I get rust - especially on warm humid days. If the triggers are set up correctly they are fantastic, the jointing is also second to none and very rarely shoot loose unless abused.

Yes they are not as low in the action as a Beretta or Perazzi, but these guns are fatter in the action. Brownings are tall and slim, Italian guns are short and fat (teee heee).

Heres a pic of mine which I had made in the FN CustomShop :-

30" lightweigh game 7lbs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jonty,
I've heard the statement about a lower action before. It seems to me to be a 'no-effect' issue. Some think that because the barrels don't sit as low in a Super as others, it will recoil differently. I thought the respective barrel position was set by the drop and rib height? The depth of the action would seem to just change how much hung down and possibly the height of the trigger.

I don't have a Beretta and Browning in the same gauges to do an apples to apples comparision to see the actual magnitude of the difference.

BTW, spectacular wood on a beauty there.

Last edited by Chuck H; 12/10/08 07:30 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

High Chuck,

yes you are absolutely right, it is only the action that is deeper, the comb height and its relationship to the top rib is exactly the same given the same drop dimensions whether it is a Browning or a Perazzi / Beretta. There is therefore absolutely no difference in recoil or muzzle flip. I own both types of gun so do not have a bias either way...

Thanks for the comments re the wood - a jolly gee wizz expensive upgrade but worth it for me as I plan on keeping the gun, and I got to choose it. FN had just had a delivery from Turkey so I chose the most striking piece of walnut they had imho that had the grain running straight through the grip, and also didn't weigh too much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had the opportunity to attend live pigeon shoots throughout the South East. I have commented to many people through the years that I thought the Superposed was the second most popular gun that I see at pigeon shoots.

This is an outstanding testimonial to the reliability of Superposed and the esteem with which it is held by many who participate in this demanding sport.

Hack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never use any barrel selector on a single trigger double at the time of flush. I believe that these selectors are not meant for selecting at the time of flush but allow one to set the barrel before. In any event they will slow down your reaction time its easier to just go bang, bang.
I even have a double trigger Darne where the front trigger will fire the barrels sequentially with two pulls!-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had a couple, a Broadway trap and (my wife's) Diana 20 gauge. Wonderful guns, easy to remove stock for cleaning/lubing, very well made. My Beretta 687 is about 1/4" shorter at the action, but except for being able to see a difference, it doesn't seem to affect handling at all. Fit and finish of Superposeds is wonderful! Forget about using the barrel selector in the heat of a flush.
Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jonty......Beautiful shotgun....... Grant.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Jonty.

Nothing like a fine gun to wrap your hands around both in the den and in the field. She's a real beauty.

Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators. Will Rogers
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.