April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 411 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We arrived at the Covey Lodge of Pine Hill Plantation on Sat. evening. As we pulled into the drive, I could smoke rising from the chimney. It was a chilly afternoon and I was looking forward to a toasty fire. We were welcomed by Miss Marcy. After a quick tour, we unpacked and headed down stairs to enjoy some hor'douves (spelling?) while watching the Alabama-Florida game. Then we stepped outback to see the sunset over the private 100 acre lake. Supper was delicious. Grilled quail, Miss Marcy's special wild rice (the best I have ever eaten), green beans, homemade biscuits, and a coconut desert with fresh squeezed lemonade to wash everything down. Throughout the night, all the plantation workers stopped in to meet us. We had the entire plantation to ourselves. It was very private and relaxing. After supper, we read some Shooting Sportman, PDJ, and Double Gun Journal and then we watched Mission Impossible. We went to bed early. The next morning, Steven Coe (son of the owner, Doug Coe) picked us up to take us to the barn and stables. The wagon team, our horses, and 2 other guides were waiting for us. We saddled up and hit the woods. The land consisted mostly of longleaf pine and wiregrass with live oaks and dogwoods scattered about. Food strips of corn, milo, and Egyptian wheat dotted the land. We found many coveys in the food plots in the early morning and late afternoon. As the day warmed, we hunted the hardwood thickets located throughout the woods. We found about 20 coveys of good, hard-flying quail. Some of which could have been wild. On our hunt, we had 3 guides. Mr. Hilton was our wagon driver. Todd was huntmaster. And Steven was our scout/dog handler. The matched pair of mules pulled the wagon which we rode part of the day. The wagon could carry 8-14 dogs (2 of which were labs). Miss Marcy and Miss Jane prepared a wonderful field lunch. The break area was set under some large oaks and had several tables covered with white cloth, hammocks, 2 skeet throwers, and those things to tie up the horses on. We had grilled burgers, sausage, and chicken as well as beans and cole slaw. After a quick nap, we were off again for another hunt. It was a wonderful day. It was awesome to have experienced quail hunting is its purest form.

The Covey Lodge.

The private 100 acre lake.

Sunset over the lake.

Rusty chillin' on the dock.

Our host, Miss Marcy.

The gun room.

Me inspecting the hammer gun.

Dad with Cal.

Point!

Longleaf Pine woods.

Heading out.

Pinning down a single.

Hilton bringing up the wagon.

Preparing the field lunch.

Catching some shut-eye before heading out.

Geddy Up Cowboy!

Yahoo!

Sharing some laughs with Hilton.

Changing braces.

The wagon team. Hilton, the driver, with his grandson Duck.

The end of great day!

Adam

Last edited by Adam Stinson; 12/13/08 02:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice. Looks like your hunting partner was having a good time, too.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pics Adam and many thanks for sharing them with us!!!
What shotguns were you and your father using??

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the compliments.

We used several guns. A Bernardelli hammer gun 20-bore, a Browning Citori 20-bore, a Browning Cynergy 20-bore, a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 28-bore, and an Orvis Caesar Guerini 20-bore.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

A great set of pictures and fine story. Thank you for sharing your hunt with us!!

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

Without being rude, and asking questions that perhaps I should not, " How much would an adventure like that cost me please?"
It looks very good, and we don't do it that way here in the UK.
How much would a lodge like that cost to buy? The house, not the plantation.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
Without being rude, and asking questions that perhaps I should not, " How much would an adventure like that cost me please?"
It looks very good, and we don't do it that way here in the UK.
How much would a lodge like that cost to buy? The house, not the plantation.

They are a little different in the way they charge. They charge per group.... not per person. A group of 4 or less cost about $5000 a day. Quail Country charges about $1000 per person per day once everything is added in.

The lodge if you were to buy it would cost well over $500,000 I am sure. It wasn't huge (3800 sq ft), but very nicely appointed. If you were to buy the entire plantation, it could cost well over $15,000,000.

Adam

Last edited by Adam Stinson; 12/14/08 10:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe Wood are you reading this?

At at thousand a day you are into me big time - and that is besides what you owe me for shooting instructor's fees and friendship dues. I am going to give you a small discount since I serve bologna sandwiches rather than a gourmet meal.

Best,

Mike

Edit - And I guess it would be only fair for me to deduct from the bill the $300 per day your wife pays me to keep you out of the house.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 12/14/08 11:09 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Mr. Salopian, the way the mortgage crisis has hit certain areas of this country, Florida comes to mind, you probably could find something that would sale for the price of one Purdey!!!
Recently there are a few commercials concerning the sale of ranch land in Montana, I believe, for $1,999.00 an acre with a minimum of 40 acres.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam,
Looks like a great quail destination!

By the way, I missed that football game you mentioned. Would you be kind enough to tell me who won that game?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.