April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,064 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I came across this Ballard Single Shot today when researching another subject. Engraved by A.A.White it's a magnificent rifle.
See:- http://www.hallowellco.com/alvin_white%20ballard.htm

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice one Harry, This rifle is reminiscent of a Niedner Ballard that I have admired,from afar, for decades. If I can find a picture I'll post it.

From “Gunsmithing” by Roy F. Dunlap 1950. This rifle is also pictured in the Dutcher Ballard book.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are at least three Ballards with this engaving by Arnold Griebel. I saw a picture of this one by Niedner in .25 rimfire in a Gun Digest. I still think it is one of the nicest overall Ballard sporter ever built, but would not chose that chambering.

I had Griebel engrave this scene on one side of a Hubalek Ballard (Pacific action) .22 LR in 1963. The other side got a rabbit scene. That rifle is now owned by John Dutcher.

A few years ago, I bought another Ballard with the same squirrel scene on the left, a monogram on the right. It had been rechambered to Hornet, so it is now with Glenn Fewless getting a rimfire barrel installed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah yes, the infamous Glenn Fewless (VBG). I have had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Glenn and handling some of his magic for years ---- this will be quite a shooter. Glenn just finished a lowall for me & I'm presently working on one he did for Doug Mann ( stocker). You are going to be a Very happy lad .......

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
Nice one Harry, This rifle is reminiscent of a Niedner Ballard that I have admired,from afar, for decades. If I can find a picture I'll post it.

From “Gunsmithing” by Roy F. Dunlap 1950. This rifle is also pictured in the Dutcher Ballard book.

Hello Michael,
I knew that Squirrel was familiar, I have had Roy Dunlap's book for nearly forty years, I've just purchased Dutchers Ballard book which arrived just the other day. That Squirrel pose seems to be quite popular.

The seasons compliments to all.

Harry.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken is that the Low Wall that I wanted to put my name on.??? Smile Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
Hello Michael, I knew that Squirrel was familiar, I have had Roy Dunlap's book for nearly forty years, I've just purchased Dutchers Ballard book which arrived just the other day. That Squirrel pose seems to be quite popular.Harry.

Harry, There are much better pictures in Dutcher's book, just one page past my favorite Niedner Ballard ;).

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemens:

Here is the rodent that Mr. Buffum referred to... Methinks it is a woodchuck.

The camera was in the shop for the above picture, and I decided to preserve the following setup for posterity and will include it here. The Ballard rimfire extractor requires a hole drilled along side and parallel to the bore for the extractor to slide in. The barrel had to be hung off the side of the mill table. Because the barrel is tapered the setup must be articulated in two axis in order to plumb the bore. This set up has two angle plates and a V block all clamed together to achieve this. The second V block is clamped to the barrel to enable it to be oriented at the 45* required to locate the hole. Rube Goldberg ain't got nothing on me!

The finished extractor cuts...

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've done this before, by hand with no mill. Attainng smooth & reliable operation is a bear! Good luck, Glenn.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glenn, Thanks for the photos. My memory of the engraving on this one was obviously in error! Too many toys to keep track of, I guess.

I did not realize my request for a Ballard like extractor required so much ingenuity; your having preserved the set up photographically will hopefully help other faced with the same task.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.