May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, FelixD, earlyriser, 3 invisible), 674 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,612
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Alex:

Had a $&$ in the 60XX range a few yrs. back--no scroll on the action. Came for $650; left for the same. If you need an open-choked brush gun, it might serve as these are incredibly lightwgt. Obviously it has a solid rib and I don't know the intricacies of rib/no rib pricing of which Bill speaks, but I'd suggest attempting to negotiate downward as there is a bit of surface rust and a lot of spacers on the back end. Have another look at the lockup, the integrity of the rib, the chokes for remuddling, etc. and go from there. Infatuations of the "getting to know you" sort can be got out of later but maybe a bit costly in a time of tight money.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a beautiful early Super. OK, the pad is not a plus, but the gun is worth $800 easily. I would buy it if it were here. It has a Lightning style forend and solid rib. Nice gun, nice condition.

I just acquired one that's almost identical (1938 vintage). Mine may have a bit more finish (hard to tell from a photo), original hard rubber Superposed butt plate and tighter chokes. Paid the dealer twice what you're talking about to get it and while I knew it was a premium price, happy to have it none the less. It's a fine upland game gun, light and quick at 6lbs. 10oz.
If you like the feel of the one you've found, buy it as the price is right. In my part of the country, nice pre-war Supers that haven't been fooled with seem to be getting harder to find at any price.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think I will get it as it points really nice and has just enough wear to make it a shooter, but not an eyesore. The skeet chokes are a bit of a concern, but I like the quality of the gun and it will probably work nicely on upland birds in the area I hunt in. Thanks for all the info.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you'll find the skeet chokes will pattern a bit tighter than as marked. Browning chokes are noted for being a bit on the tight side, maybe as much as one full step (IC).

Sidelock
Sidelock

At $800.00 that's a heck of a deal, and if you don't want it, like Eightbore, I would pay that for it if I were given the opportunity.
Marvin

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a nice old solid rib "Standard" Superposed with the fire-blued trigger and the small, slim forend typical to these. It's well worth $800 if it has no problems. Looks like a very clean gun to me, and it would be a killer dove gun. Put a nice red Galazan solid pad on her and she would look a lot better. Buy it!
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 01/04/09 12:40 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Any idea how thick the Galazan pads are? There are a number of spacers that were added and I would need to make up the pull if the gun is to fit me. I agree it would definitely look better with a more period looking pad. I guess even if it ended up 3/4" - 1/2" shorter it might make a good gun for my wife or, possibly, my son down the road.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like professionally installed nice 'Old English' pad so why waste $ replacing it?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.