March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (12boreman, Borderbill, cpa, JDH, craigd, 1 invisible), 377 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,007
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Old age and senility have been galloping up on me for some time, although I'm not quite Ga-Ga yet.

In between my temporary losses of memory, I seem to recall that someone had, in recent years,produced a series of books on British Gunmakers and their rifles.

I can't recall the Titles or the Author but I'm sure that some of you younger gentlemen will have the facts I need at your fingertips. What I need are the Titles of the books, the Author and also an idea of who stocks these books, a U/K address would be handy.

My thanks in advance, just in case I forget you thank you later.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Wal Winfer and titled "British single shot rifles". I bought the set for $240 + shipping.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Cheers Mike,

I'm most obliged to you.

regards,

Harry

Sidelock
Sidelock

The other book is The British Falling Block Breechloading Rifle by Jonathan Kirton.
Cheers,
Laurie

falling block
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Winfer books is a series, I have five there may be another about to come out soon. I know he supposed to be working a volume on Rook rifle right now

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello DD and Laurie, thanks for the additional infomation, I'll be looking to add these to my 'Wanted List'.

I have found that there is a great variation in the prices asked for the Winfer books. I ordered volume 1 (Alex Henry rifles) unused new condition, last night from a U.S.Book Dealer for US$ 45.00. Other sites here in the UK and elsewhere in the USA were asking up to US$ 160.00 just for this one volume. It certainly pays to shop around.

Harry

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Tom Rowe, Winfer's publisher, told me the next volume would be on the Webley single shots. A volume on Rook rifles would also make me happy.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

SKB,
There is a very new publication entitled 'Classic British Rook and Rabbit Rifles', by Colin Greenwood priced around US$ 16.00 + postage and packing here in the U/K.

Try 'Googling' the title on US booksellers sites. It is published in Great Britain so the US cost may be slightly higher.

Colin Greenwood is well known to British shooting enthusiasts and he has been a gun writer since the 1960's. I have this book on order myself, and expect it early next week. I'll do a brief review of it in this Forum should anyone wish it.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 01/03/09 04:03 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Harry smile please do. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Isn't, or rather wasn't, Colin Greenwood also a Police official of some sort? I seem to remember a title of 'Inspector' or something similar. Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.